Render failure - Marker Felt "j"

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Render failure - Marker Felt "j"

GaryMcIntyre
I'm really new at Openscad, and am learning so much thanks to the wiki.

I'v encountered what I think is a bug, but I want to be sure.

When I F5 this code, it works fine, but when I F6, the "j" disappears. It only seems to be happening with The Marker Felt font, but I've only tried 3 others.
If I remark out the cube, the "j" doesn't disappear.

Thanks!


font="Marker Felt:style=Thin";
fontsize=10;
letter="j";
width=11;
tileheight=1;


                {
            cube ([14,14,1]);
        translate ([0,0,1])
                    {
         translate([7,7,5])
            rotate([0,180,0])
                   linear_extrude(height=6)
                      translate([0,-4.2,0])text(letter,size=fontsize, font=font);
                    }
                }



Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Render failure - Marker Felt "j"

Gene Heskett
On Friday 28 May 2021 21:58:06 GaryMcIntyre wrote:

> I'm really new at Openscad, and am learning so much thanks to the
> wiki.
>
> I'v encountered what I think is a bug, but I want to be sure.
>
> When I F5 this code, it works fine, but when I F6, the "j" disappears.
> It only seems to be happening with The Marker Felt font, but I've only
> tried 3 others.
> If I remark out the cube, the "j" doesn't disappear.
>
> Thanks!
>
>
> font="Marker Felt:style=Thin";
> fontsize=10;
> letter="j";
> width=11;
> tileheight=1;
>
>
>                 {
>             cube ([14,14,1]);
>         translate ([0,0,1])
>                     {
>          translate([7,7,5])
>             rotate([0,180,0])
>                    linear_extrude(height=6)
>                       translate([0,-4.2,0])text(letter,size=fontsize,
> font=font);
>                     }
>                 }
>
>
My best guess and thats all it is, is that you are hiding the j inside
the cube. Reducing the cubes size might make it appear?
>
>
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/


Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
 soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.
 - Louis D. Brandeis
Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>
_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Render failure - Marker Felt "j"

jon_bondy
In reply to this post by GaryMcIntyre

Your code shows up the same with both R5 and F6 here.  What release of OpenSCAD are you using?

Jon

On 5/28/2021 9:58 PM, GaryMcIntyre wrote:
I'm really new at Openscad, and am learning so much thanks to the wiki.

I'v encountered what I think is a bug, but I want to be sure.

When I F5 this code, it works fine, but when I F6, the "j" disappears. It only seems to be happening with The Marker Felt font, but I've only tried 3 others.
If I remark out the cube, the "j" doesn't disappear.

Thanks!


font="Marker Felt:style=Thin";
fontsize=10;
letter="j";
width=11;
tileheight=1;


                {
            cube ([14,14,1]);
        translate ([0,0,1])
                    {
         translate([7,7,5])
            rotate([0,180,0])
                   linear_extrude(height=6)
                      translate([0,-4.2,0])text(letter,size=fontsize, font=font);
                    }
                }



Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Render failure - Marker Felt "j"

nophead
Have you got the same font though? Perhaps the J has a self intersection in its boundary. If that is the case applying a very small expansion with offset might fix it as Clipper will sort out 2D self intersections.

On Sat, 29 May 2021 at 08:11, jon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Your code shows up the same with both R5 and F6 here.  What release of OpenSCAD are you using?

Jon

On 5/28/2021 9:58 PM, GaryMcIntyre wrote:
I'm really new at Openscad, and am learning so much thanks to the wiki.

I'v encountered what I think is a bug, but I want to be sure.

When I F5 this code, it works fine, but when I F6, the "j" disappears. It only seems to be happening with The Marker Felt font, but I've only tried 3 others.
If I remark out the cube, the "j" doesn't disappear.

Thanks!


font="Marker Felt:style=Thin";
fontsize=10;
letter="j";
width=11;
tileheight=1;


                {
            cube ([14,14,1]);
        translate ([0,0,1])
                    {
         translate([7,7,5])
            rotate([0,180,0])
                   linear_extrude(height=6)
                      translate([0,-4.2,0])text(letter,size=fontsize, font=font);
                    }
                }



Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Render failure - Marker Felt "j"

Terrypin
In reply to this post by GaryMcIntyre

Also OK here in OpenSCAD version 2021.01 using Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.985), and with the random half dozen other fonts I tried.

Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Render failure - Marker Felt "j"

GaryMcIntyre
In reply to this post by Gene Heskett
Gene Heskett wrote
On Friday 28 May 2021 21:58:06 GaryMcIntyre wrote:

> I'm really new at Openscad, and am learning so much thanks to the
> wiki.
>
> I'v encountered what I think is a bug, but I want to be sure.
>
> When I F5 this code, it works fine, but when I F6, the "j" disappears.
> It only seems to be happening with The Marker Felt font, but I've only
> tried 3 others.
> If I remark out the cube, the "j" doesn't disappear.
>
> Thanks!
>
>
> font="Marker Felt:style=Thin";
> fontsize=10;
> letter="j";
> width=11;
> tileheight=1;
>
>
>                 {
>             cube ([14,14,1]);
>         translate ([0,0,1])
>                     {
>          translate([7,7,5])
>             rotate([0,180,0])
>                    linear_extrude(height=6)
>                       translate([0,-4.2,0])text(letter,size=fontsize,
> font=font);
>                     }
>                 }
>
>
My best guess and thats all it is, is that you are hiding the j inside
the cube. Reducing the cubes size might make it appear?
>
>
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/


Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
 soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.
 - Louis D. Brandeis
Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>
_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Thanks, but I've tried moving the cube far away from the j and it still disappears.
I haven't had any other letter do this.

Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Render failure - Marker Felt "j"

GaryMcIntyre
In reply to this post by nophead
nophead wrote
Have you got the same font though? Perhaps the J has a self intersection in
its boundary. If that is the case applying a very small expansion with
offset might fix it as Clipper will sort out 2D self intersections.

On Sat, 29 May 2021 at 08:11, jon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Your code shows up the same with both R5 and F6 here.  What release of
> OpenSCAD are you using?
>
> Jon
> On 5/28/2021 9:58 PM, GaryMcIntyre wrote:
>
> I'm really new at Openscad, and am learning so much thanks to the wiki.
>
> I'v encountered what I think is a bug, but I want to be sure.
>
> When I F5 this code, it works fine, but when I F6, the "j" disappears. It
> only seems to be happening with The Marker Felt font, but I've only tried 3
> others.
> If I remark out the cube, the "j" doesn't disappear.
>
> Thanks!
>
>
> font="Marker Felt:style=Thin";
> fontsize=10;
> letter="j";
> width=11;
> tileheight=1;
>
>
>                 {
>             cube ([14,14,1]);
>         translate ([0,0,1])
>                     {
>          translate([7,7,5])
>             rotate([0,180,0])
>                    linear_extrude(height=6)
>                       translate([0,-4.2,0])text(letter,size=fontsize,
> font=font);
>                     }
>                 }
>
>
> ------------------------------
> Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive <http://forum.openscad.org/>
> at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
>
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
>

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]

That's a mouthful.

I wish I understood what you mean, as I'm willing to try anything.


Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Render failure - Marker Felt "j"

GaryMcIntyre
In reply to this post by jon_bondy
jon_bondy wrote
Your code shows up the same with both R5 and F6 here.  What release of
OpenSCAD are you using?

Jon

On 5/28/2021 9:58 PM, GaryMcIntyre wrote:

> I'm really new at Openscad, and am learning so much thanks to the wiki.
>
> I'v encountered what I think is a bug, but I want to be sure.
>
> When I F5 this code, it works fine, but when I F6, the "j" disappears.
> It only seems to be happening with The Marker Felt font, but I've only
> tried 3 others.
> If I remark out the cube, the "j" doesn't disappear.
>
> Thanks!
>
>
> font="Marker Felt:style=Thin";
> fontsize=10;
> letter="j";
> width=11;
> tileheight=1;
>
>
>                 {
>             cube ([14,14,1]);
>         translate ([0,0,1])
>                     {
>          translate([7,7,5])
>             rotate([0,180,0])
>                    linear_extrude(height=6)
> translate([0,-4.2,0])text(letter,size=fontsize, font=font);
>                     }
>                 }
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive
> <http://forum.openscad.org/> at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]



Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Render failure - Marker Felt "j"

Terrypin
Perhaps it's exclusively a Mac issue? Hopefully another Mac user might be along to check that guess.

BTW, I too am a novice and like you I don't understand what nophead meant ;-)

Terry

Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Render failure - Marker Felt "j"

nophead
I meant try something like this:

linear_extrude(height=6)
         translate([0,-4.2,0])
               offset (0.001)
                      text(letter,size=fontsize, font=font);

If the J in the font has an outline that self intersects then offset() uses the Clipper library and that is very good at fixing 2D self intersections.



On Sat, 29 May 2021 at 16:16, Terrypin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Perhaps it's exclusively a Mac issue? Hopefully another Mac user might be along to check that guess.

BTW, I too am a novice and like you I don't understand what nophead meant ;-)

Terry

Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Render failure - Marker Felt "j"

caggius
I also have  20220.01 on my M1 Mac so have done a little digging.

Getting rid of all the extraneous translates/rotates

 font="Marker Felt:style=Thin"; 
 fontsize=10; 
 letter="j"; 
 width=11; 
 tileheight=1; 
           
 cube ([14,14,1]); 
 linear_extrude(height=6) text(letter,size=fontsize, font=font); 

The J is present with F5 and disappears with F6.
Make the J and cube discontinuous also makes no difference

Comment out the cube and the J is present with both F5 and F6.

Adding the Offset suggested fixes the problem

linear_extrude(height=6) offset(0.001) text(letter,size=fontsize, font=font); 

If I switch to OpenScad 2021.02.08 it then gives the error

Rendering Polygon Mesh using CGAL...

ERROR: The given mesh is not closed! Unable to convert to CGAL_Nef_Polyhedron.

Geometries in cache: 5

Geometry cache size in bytes: 89224

CGAL Polyhedrons in cache: 2

CGAL cache size in bytes: 461088

Total rendering time: 0:00:00.045

Top level object is a 3D object:

Simple: yes

Vertices: 8

Halfedges: 24

Edges: 12

Halffacets: 12

Facets: 6

Volumes: 2

Rendering finished.


cheers
Bob.C



On 29 May 2021, at 16:33, nop head <[hidden email]> wrote:

I meant try something like this:

linear_extrude(height=6)
         translate([0,-4.2,0])
               offset (0.001)
                      text(letter,size=fontsize, font=font);

If the J in the font has an outline that self intersects then offset() uses the Clipper library and that is very good at fixing 2D self intersections.



On Sat, 29 May 2021 at 16:16, Terrypin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Perhaps it's exclusively a Mac issue? Hopefully another Mac user might be along to check that guess.

BTW, I too am a novice and like you I don't understand what nophead meant ;-)

Terry

Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
tp3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Render failure - Marker Felt "j"

tp3
If you zoom in to the section marked by the attached screenshot
you'll find the reason for the issue.

ciao,
  Torsten.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]

j.png (197K) Download Attachment
-- Torsten
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Render failure - Marker Felt "j"

jon_bondy

Interesting.  Then why does the "J" appear with both F5 and F6 on my Windows system using version 2021.01

Jon


On 5/29/2021 12:14 PM, Torsten Paul wrote:
If you zoom in to the section marked by the attached screenshot
you'll find the reason for the issue.

ciao,
  Torsten.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
tp3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Render failure - Marker Felt "j"

tp3
On 29.05.21 18:26, jon wrote:
> Interesting.  Then why does the "J" appear with both F5 and F6
> on my Windows system using version 2021.01

Did you install *exactly* the same font, e.g. the "thin" variant?
I used that one: https://ufonts.com/download/marker-felt-thin.html

Those kind of issues are often very specific and not necessarily
affect all font variants.

ciao,
  Torsten.
_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
-- Torsten
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Render failure - Marker Felt "j"

jon_bondy
Ah.  Good point.  I guess when there is an inexact font match, the
system goes with the nearest best, without a warning message.

Jon


On 5/29/2021 12:29 PM, Torsten Paul wrote:

> On 29.05.21 18:26, jon wrote:
>> Interesting.  Then why does the "J" appear with both F5 and F6
>> on my Windows system using version 2021.01
> Did you install *exactly* the same font, e.g. the "thin" variant?
> I used that one: https://ufonts.com/download/marker-felt-thin.html
>
> Those kind of issues are often very specific and not necessarily
> affect all font variants.
>
> ciao,
>    Torsten.
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
>
_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
dpa
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Render failure - Marker Felt "j"

dpa
In reply to this post by tp3
make a little offset and it will render (F6).
like so:
cube ([14,14,1]);
linear_extrude(height=6) 
offset(0.001) text(letter,size=fontsize, font=font); 

Am Sa., 29. Mai 2021 um 18:15 Uhr schrieb Torsten Paul <[hidden email]>:
If you zoom in to the section marked by the attached screenshot
you'll find the reason for the issue.

ciao,
  Torsten.
_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Render failure - Marker Felt "j"

Gene Heskett
On Saturday 29 May 2021 16:29:22 DAVID MENDALSKI wrote:

> Can someone contact the administrator and ask to have my email removed
> from the mailing list? I've tried twice on-line with no success. Thank
> you,
> David M

Did you reply in the affirmative to the message the server sent to the
address on record?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
--
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
 soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law respectable.
 - Louis D. Brandeis
Genes Web page <http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene>
_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Render failure - Marker Felt "j"

JordanBrown
In reply to this post by jon_bondy
On 5/29/2021 9:31 AM, jon wrote:
Ah.  Good point.  I guess when there is an inexact font match, the system goes with the nearest best, without a warning message.

Yes, that's an explicit design feature of the fontconfig library used.

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/fontconfig/fontconfig-user.html#AEN25

Fontconfig performs matching by measuring the distance from a provided pattern to all of the available fonts in the system. The closest matching font is selected. This ensures that a font will always be returned, but doesn't ensure that it is anything like the requested pattern.

Sometimes it's what you want.  Sometimes not so much.



_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Render failure - Marker Felt "j"

GaryMcIntyre
Thank you everyone!

I've added the offset to my code and everything seems to be good.



Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]