Quantcast

small see through dialog when starting

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

small see through dialog when starting

codifies
I get no feedback from the console, and sometimes it happens all the times and for a while it wasn't at all...

when the scad source is loaded (either from start up dialog or file menu) a small dialog is shown, which is see through or more exactly no internal content gets drawn at all. I can't close the dialog with the close widget in the top right but fortunately its not modal so I can use the application.

anyone seen this ?

here's the info from the libs and build dialog (without the GL flags)

OpenSCAD Version: 2017.03.28 System information: Linux 4.10.9_1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Apr 8 19:26:15 UTC 2017 x86_64 void 4 CPUs 7.71 GB RAM Compiler: GCC "6.3.0" 64bit Boost version: 1_62 Eigen version: 3.3.3 CGAL version, kernels: 4.8.1, Cartesian, Extended_cartesian, Epeck OpenCSG version: OpenCSG 1.4.2 Qt version: 5.8.0 QScintilla version: 2.10 MingW build: No GLib version: 2.52.0 libzip version: 1.2.0 Application Path: /usr/local/bin Documents Path: /home/chris/.local/share Resource Path: /usr/local/share/openscad User Library Path: /home/chris/.local/share/OpenSCAD/libraries User Config Path: /home/chris/.config/OpenSCAD Backup Path: /home/chris/.local/share/OpenSCAD/backups OPENSCADPATH: OpenSCAD library path: /home/chris/.local/share/OpenSCAD/libraries /usr/local/share/openscad/libraries OPENSCAD_FONT_PATH: OpenSCAD font path: /usr/share/fonts /home/chris/.local/share/fonts /home/chris/.fonts /usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts /System/Library/Fonts /Library/Fonts /home/chris/Library/Fonts /usr/share/fonts/TTF /usr/share/fonts/Type1 /usr/share/fonts/X11 /usr/share/fonts/cantarell /usr/share/fonts/oiio /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi /usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc /usr/share/fonts/X11/util GLEW version: 1.13.0 OpenGL Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.3 GL Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2) GL Vendor: Intel Open Source Technology Center RGBA(8880), depth(0), stencil(0)



_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: small see through dialog when starting

MichaelAtOz
Administrator
Are you using text()? It could be the font cache build.
Does it eventually go away?
Have you tried the release version 2015.03?
Admin - PM me if you need anything,
or if I've done something stupid...

Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work.
Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.


The TPP is no simple “trade agreement.” Fight it! http://www.ourfairdeal.org/ time is running out!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: small see through dialog when starting

codifies
I seems erratic, and its difficult to tell without any kind of feedback,
I don't remember seeing it with the file release version.

On 10/04/17 00:42, MichaelAtOz wrote:

> Are you using text()? It could be the font cache build.
> Does it eventually go away?
> Have you tried the release version 2015.03?
>
>
>
> -----
> Admin - PM me if you need anything, or if I've done something stupid...
>
> Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work. Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.
>
> The TPP is no simple “trade agreement.”   Fight it! http://www.ourfairdeal.org/   time is running out!
> --
> View this message in context: http://forum.openscad.org/small-see-through-dialog-when-starting-tp21144p21148.html
> Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: small see through dialog when starting

MichaelAtOz
Administrator
Are you using text()?

Try deleting the fontconfig folder, sorry I don't know where it is on Linux.
Admin - PM me if you need anything,
or if I've done something stupid...

Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work.
Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.


The TPP is no simple “trade agreement.” Fight it! http://www.ourfairdeal.org/ time is running out!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: small see through dialog when starting

MichaelAtOz
Administrator
Can you get a screen capture?
Admin - PM me if you need anything,
or if I've done something stupid...

Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work.
Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.


The TPP is no simple “trade agreement.” Fight it! http://www.ourfairdeal.org/ time is running out!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: small see through dialog when starting

codifies
typically its stopped doing it again...

its a small dialog say about eighth of the screen width and half that
size in height.

I can't remember of it appears only in projects with text, I have a
number of different
project some with text and some without that often get tweaked, but I'll
keep an eye open...


On 10/04/17 22:35, MichaelAtOz wrote:

> Can you get a screen capture?
>
>
>
> -----
> Admin - PM me if you need anything, or if I've done something stupid...
>
> Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work. Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.
>
> The TPP is no simple “trade agreement.”   Fight it! http://www.ourfairdeal.org/   time is running out!
> --
> View this message in context: http://forum.openscad.org/small-see-through-dialog-when-starting-tp21144p21170.html
> Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: small see through dialog when starting

MichaelAtOz
Administrator
Would it be similar to this?
Admin - PM me if you need anything,
or if I've done something stupid...

Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work.
Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.


The TPP is no simple “trade agreement.” Fight it! http://www.ourfairdeal.org/ time is running out!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: small see through dialog when starting

codifies
its about that size but with nicer decoration ;p, I wonder why the gui
isn't updating it though???

On 10/04/17 23:35, MichaelAtOz wrote:

> Would it be similar to this?
> <http://forum.openscad.org/file/n21175/font_config.png>
>
>
>
> -----
> Admin - PM me if you need anything, or if I've done something stupid...
>
> Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work. Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.
>
> The TPP is no simple “trade agreement.”   Fight it! http://www.ourfairdeal.org/   time is running out!
> --
> View this message in context: http://forum.openscad.org/small-see-through-dialog-when-starting-tp21144p21175.html
> Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: small see through dialog when starting

MichaelAtOz
Administrator
I'm not a linux guy, but I would suspect a wrong library in the build.  
Admin - PM me if you need anything,
or if I've done something stupid...

Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work.
Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.


The TPP is no simple “trade agreement.” Fight it! http://www.ourfairdeal.org/ time is running out!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: small see through dialog when starting

codifies
didn't see any warnings in the compile, I'm building against qt5 which I
assume everyone else uses ??

On 11/04/17 12:44, MichaelAtOz wrote:

> I'm not a linux guy, but I would suspect a wrong library in the build.
>
>
>
> -----
> Admin - PM me if you need anything, or if I've done something stupid...
>
> Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work. Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.
>
> The TPP is no simple “trade agreement.”   Fight it! http://www.ourfairdeal.org/   time is running out!
> --
> View this message in context: http://forum.openscad.org/small-see-through-dialog-when-starting-tp21144p21191.html
> Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: small see through dialog when starting

codifies
In reply to this post by codifies
looks like it is related to fonts, but I see zero cpu usage while the
dialog is up?


On 11/04/17 09:17, Mr C Camacho wrote:

> its about that size but with nicer decoration ;p, I wonder why the gui
> isn't updating it though???
>
> On 10/04/17 23:35, MichaelAtOz wrote:
>> Would it be similar to this?
>> <http://forum.openscad.org/file/n21175/font_config.png>
>>
>>
>>
>> -----
>> Admin - PM me if you need anything, or if I've done something stupid...
>>
>> Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the
>> Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all
>> copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work. Obviously
>> inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.
>>
>> The TPP is no simple “trade agreement.”   Fight it!
>> http://www.ourfairdeal.org/   time is running out!
>> --
>> View this message in context:
>> http://forum.openscad.org/small-see-through-dialog-when-starting-tp21144p21175.html
>> Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> OpenSCAD mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: small see through dialog when starting

kintel
Administrator

> On Apr 13, 2017, at 13:15, Mr C Camacho <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> looks like it is related to fonts, but I see zero cpu usage while the dialog is up?
>
The font cache initializer is supposed to run in a separate thread and shouldn’t block the dialog from updating.
Sounds like something is triggering a bug. This is really tricky to remote diagnose. If you can find a way of reproducing this on multiple computers, there is hope that we could get it to fail in a dev environment..

 -Marius


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: small see through dialog when starting

codifies
I first saw this issue on my laptop, I have today replicated it on my wife's desktop machine via the following:

git clone git://github.com/openscad/openscad.git
cd openscad
git submodule update --init
qmake PREFIX=/usr LIB=/usr/lib openscad.pro
make -j4
sudo make install

Both machines are running Void Linux (which is a rolling release)

Its there any font cache type utilities that I can run that might give some clues?

here is the (current) library versions installed on both machines

OpenSCAD Version: 2017.03.28 System information: Linux 4.10.10_1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Apr 13 14:00:02 UTC 2017 x86_64 void 4 CPUs 7.71 GB RAM Compiler: GCC "6.3.0" 64bit Boost version: 1_62 Eigen version: 3.3.3 CGAL version, kernels: 4.8.1, Cartesian, Extended_cartesian, Epeck OpenCSG version: OpenCSG 1.4.2 Qt version: 5.8.0 QScintilla version: 2.10 MingW build: No GLib version: 2.52.0 libzip version: 1.2.0 Application Path: /usr/local/bin Documents Path: /home/chris/.local/share Resource Path: /usr/local/share/openscad User Library Path: /home/chris/.local/share/OpenSCAD/libraries User Config Path: /home/chris/.config/OpenSCAD Backup Path: /home/chris/.local/share/OpenSCAD/backups OPENSCADPATH: OpenSCAD library path: /home/chris/.local/share/OpenSCAD/libraries /usr/local/share/openscad/libraries OPENSCAD_FONT_PATH: OpenSCAD font path: GLEW version: 1.13.0 OpenGL Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.3 GL Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2) GL Vendor: Intel Open Source Technology Center RGBA(8880), depth(0), stencil(0) GL_ARB_framebuffer_object: yes GL_EXT_framebuffer_object: yes GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil: yes Qt graphics widget: QOpenGLWidget QSurfaceFormat: RGBA(8880), depth(0), stencil(0)



On 14/04/17 04:40, Marius Kintel wrote:

      
On Apr 13, 2017, at 13:15, Mr C Camacho [hidden email] wrote:

looks like it is related to fonts, but I see zero cpu usage while the dialog is up?

The font cache initializer is supposed to run in a separate thread and shouldn’t block the dialog from updating.
Sounds like something is triggering a bug. This is really tricky to remote diagnose. If you can find a way of reproducing this on multiple computers, there is hope that we could get it to fail in a dev environment..

 -Marius


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: small see through dialog when starting

kintel
Administrator
On Apr 14, 2017, at 08:29, Mr C Camacho <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Both machines are running Void Linux (which is a rolling release)
> Its there any font cache type utilities that I can run that might give some clues?
>
That’s promising :)
We left some notes about the fontconfig stuff here: https://github.com/openscad/openscad/wiki/Fontconfig-notes

Perhaps it’s worth opening a github issue and put in all the info there, making this easier to track.
My initial suspicion is that this is related to some unexpected configuration related to Void Linux, which triggers a but in our code or how we manage fontconfig configurations.

 -Marius



_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: small see through dialog when starting

codifies
it seems like I have a working fontconfig install (and fonts in openscad
do work, with a full range of system fonts)

I'll open a github issue as you suggested.


On 14/04/17 17:15, Marius Kintel wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2017, at 08:29, Mr C Camacho <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Both machines are running Void Linux (which is a rolling release)
>> Its there any font cache type utilities that I can run that might give some clues?
>>
> That’s promising :)
> We left some notes about the fontconfig stuff here: https://github.com/openscad/openscad/wiki/Fontconfig-notes
>
> Perhaps it’s worth opening a github issue and put in all the info there, making this easier to track.
> My initial suspicion is that this is related to some unexpected configuration related to Void Linux, which triggers a but in our code or how we manage fontconfig configurations.
>
>   -Marius
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Loading...