classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ruby gem?

Brandon Fosdick
Hi,

Has anyone created any sort of ruby interface for OpenSCAD files? I'm new to OpenSCAD, and I just joined this list today, so forgive me if this question has been asked before. Google didn't turn up anything useful.

I've been working on some gems for programmatically creating geometry, but I don't yet have a viewer for the output. I've created a simple DXF exporter, but of course that doesn't help much with displaying full models. I'd like to export to either Sketchup or OpenSCAD, and both look equally non-trivial. So, I thought I'd check to see if anyone has already started working on the problem. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: ruby gem?

Bryan Bishop
On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 12:30 AM, Brandon Fosdick <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been working on some gems for programmatically creating geometry, but I don't yet have a viewer for the output. I've created a simple DXF exporter, but of course that doesn't help much with displaying full models. I'd like to export to either Sketchup or OpenSCAD, and both look equally non-trivial. So, I thought I'd check to see if anyone has already started working on the problem. Any thoughts or suggestions?

you could port pyopenscad and openscadpy..

openscadpy

pyopenscad.py
Reply | Threaded
|

Brandon Fosdick
On May 6, 2012, at 22:38 , Bryan Bishop wrote:

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 12:30 AM, Brandon Fosdick <[hidden email]> wrote:

you could port pyopenscad and openscadpy..

openscadpy

pyopenscad.py

Thanks. I'll take a look at those.
I'm not sure a direct port of a C++ program that was then ported to Python would produce something that fits the "Ruby way" but maybe it could be a useful reference. That, and I haven't learned Python yet. Maybe it's time I finally do that.
Or are you saying the the Python port has file-interfacing code that I can use as an example?

BTW, I just did a little digging to find a github repo for pyopenscad.py and stumbled upon the SolidPython repo in the SolidCode project. Is this the canonical home for that code? SolidCode appears to have only one member with no contact info. Any idea if it's an active group? Would they take Ruby code, or is it a Python only club?

Thanks for the links.

M W
Reply | Threaded
|

M W
Brandon - Udacity.com has a class (CS101) that teaches Python - You'll probably find it a little "too easy" as you're already used to coding, the course assumes no prior programming knowledge. And Python isn't all that tough to pick up, for prior programmers. Sort of C++ish but not completely.

Mark