openscad in debian

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

openscad in debian

chrysn
dear openscad developers and users,

after two years of twenty threads on three mailing lists, sixteen
prereleases, about twice that many builds on my systems and over
onehundred on ubuntu servers, license changes in four projects and more
than onehundred git commits,

openscad 2011.12 is finally an official debian package[1].

if no showstoppers arise, it will be regular part of the next debian and
ubuntu releases.


thanks for developing this fine piece of software, and for your support
in getting things ready for debian.

chrysn

[1] http://packages.debian.org/sid/openscad

--
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to
become right.
  -- Randall Munroe

signature.asc (836 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: openscad in debian

W. Craig Trader
Woo hoo!  Thanks for all of your hard work on this!

- Craig -

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 1:41 PM, chrysn <[hidden email]> wrote:
dear openscad developers and users,

after two years of twenty threads on three mailing lists, sixteen
prereleases, about twice that many builds on my systems and over
onehundred on ubuntu servers, license changes in four projects and more
than onehundred git commits,

openscad 2011.12 is finally an official debian package[1].

if no showstoppers arise, it will be regular part of the next debian and
ubuntu releases.


thanks for developing this fine piece of software, and for your support
in getting things ready for debian.

chrysn

[1] http://packages.debian.org/sid/openscad

--
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to
become right.
 -- Randall Munroe

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rocklinux.net/mailman/listinfo/openscad


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: openscad in debian

Peter Eberl
In reply to this post by chrysn
Am Sonntag, den 20.05.2012, 19:41 +0200 schrieb chrysn:
> dear openscad developers and users,

> openscad 2011.12 is finally an official debian package[1].

> chrysn
Chrysn,

thanks a lot to you and all the people involved getting this done!

It saves me to carry 2 different laptops around :-9

regards

peb



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: openscad in debian

chrysn
In reply to this post by chrysn
hi developers,

another one from the build system, this time more exotic: the debian
build servers already built openscad for a bunch of machine
architectures[1], but it failed on freebsd (on which debian works as
well).

the "culprits" are lines 29:31 in eigen2.pri -- they contain special
cases for linux*, macx and freebsd-g++, but no autodiscovery fallback.

i can work around this using EIGEN2DIR from the outside, but would
prefer to use the defaults.

as for how to solve this once and for all, there is `pkg-config --cflags
eigen2`, but it outputs the '-I' in front of the path; someone with
insight in the qmake system would have to judge whether using pkg-config
is feasible here.

this sounds like something a build system should do for us (without a 40
line script for a single dependency); could a transition to cmake as
suggested earlier solve this kind of problems?

regards
chrysn

[1] https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=openscad

signature.asc (836 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: openscad in debian

donbright
On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM, chrysn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi developers,
>
> another one from the build system, this time more exotic: the debian
> build servers already built openscad for a bunch of machine
> architectures[1], but it failed on freebsd (on which debian works as
> well).
>
> the "culprits" are lines 29:31 in eigen2.pri -- they contain special
> cases for linux*, macx and freebsd-g++, but no autodiscovery fallback.
>
> i can work around this using EIGEN2DIR from the outside, but would
> prefer to use the defaults.
>
> as for how to solve this once and for all, there is `pkg-config --cflags
> eigen2`, but it outputs the '-I' in front of the path; someone with
> insight in the qmake system would have to judge whether using pkg-config
> is feasible here.
>
> this sounds like something a build system should do for us (without a 40
> line script for a single dependency); could a transition to cmake as
> suggested earlier solve this kind of problems?
>
> regards
> chrysn
>
> [1] https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=openscad
>
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://rocklinux.net/mailman/listinfo/openscad
>

Please try this patch:

After the freebsd/netbsd/etc lines (34), add this 'fallback'

  isEmpty(EIGEN2_INCLUDEPATH) {
    CONFIG += link_pkgconfig
    PKGCONFIG += eigen2
  }

If it tests good on debian freebsd i will try to submit a patch...
Thanks for educating me about the pkgconfig in qmake, it could
probably save a lot of lines of code .

DB

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: openscad in debian

donbright
On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Don Bright <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM, chrysn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> hi developers,
>>
>> another one from the build system, this time more exotic: the debian
>> build servers already built openscad for a bunch of machine
>> architectures[1], but it failed on freebsd (on which debian works as
>> well).
>>
>> the "culprits" are lines 29:31 in eigen2.pri -- they contain special
>> cases for linux*, macx and freebsd-g++, but no autodiscovery fallback.
>>
>> i can work around this using EIGEN2DIR from the outside, but would
>> prefer to use the defaults.
>>
>> as for how to solve this once and for all, there is `pkg-config --cflags
>> eigen2`, but it outputs the '-I' in front of the path; someone with
>> insight in the qmake system would have to judge whether using pkg-config
>> is feasible here.
>>
>> this sounds like something a build system should do for us (without a 40
>> line script for a single dependency); could a transition to cmake as
>> suggested earlier solve this kind of problems?
>>
>> regards
>> chrysn
>>
>> [1] https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=openscad
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> OpenSCAD mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://rocklinux.net/mailman/listinfo/openscad
>>
>
> Please try this patch:
>
> After the freebsd/netbsd/etc lines (34), add this 'fallback'
>
>  isEmpty(EIGEN2_INCLUDEPATH) {
>    CONFIG += link_pkgconfig
>    PKGCONFIG += eigen2
>  }
>
> If it tests good on debian freebsd i will try to submit a patch...
> Thanks for educating me about the pkgconfig in qmake, it could
> probably save a lot of lines of code .
>
> DB


Another note, I'm not sure what qt mkspec kfreebsd is using, but if
it's using freebsd-g++ but putting the headers/libs in a different
place than 'normal' freebsd, then i guess the solution here would be
to remove the freebsd-g++ include line from the existing eigen2.pri,
while also adding the 'fallback' that i listed previously so that
presumably freebsd will always use pkgconfig when looking for eigen2,
whether kfreebsd or 'normal' freebsd.

DB

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

status update on build failure on kfreebsd

chrysn
In reply to this post by donbright
the problem also affects hurd-i386, as would have been expected.

a patch was suggested on the upstream mailing list[1], and i've
requested a guest account on porter machines from the nm frontdesk to
evaluate the fix before i upload a -3 version.

[1] http://rocklinux.net/pipermail/openscad/2012-May/002907.html

signature.asc (836 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: status update on build failure on kfreebsd

donbright
On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 10:47 AM, chrysn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> the problem also affects hurd-i386, as would have been expected.
>
> a patch was suggested on the upstream mailing list[1], and i've
> requested a guest account on porter machines from the nm frontdesk to
> evaluate the fix before i upload a -3 version.
>
> [1] http://rocklinux.net/pipermail/openscad/2012-May/002907.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://rocklinux.net/mailman/listinfo/openscad
>


Well maybe we can just remove the 'hurd' line from the eigen2.pri file
also, and let it fall through to use qmake's pkgconfig too, if
pkgconfig is known to work on both debian hurd and 'normal' hurd.

Of course that means adding pkgconfig as a dependency on these
machines for building. . .

-DB

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: openscad in debian

chrysn
the debian project was as nice as to grant me access to some kfreebsd
machines, and now it builds.

i have yet to forward the patches to the latest main branch, i was
working from 2011.12 as my current goal is to get a stable version of
openscad into debian testing before they freeze.

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 10:20:53PM -0500, Don Bright wrote:
> Well maybe we can just remove the 'hurd' line from the eigen2.pri file
> also, and let it fall through to use qmake's pkgconfig too, if
> pkgconfig is known to work on both debian hurd and 'normal' hurd.

i didn't test it yet, but that line won't cause any trouble because it
just exports the right location (as did the linux line). as said, i was
working from the last release -- there, that line was not present.

> Of course that means adding pkgconfig as a dependency on these
> machines for building. . .

that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, in my opinion. pkgconfig is
*the expert* in finding the right locations for libraries, and given how
many patches in openscad just go to the build system, i think it would
be an improvement. pkg-config is, so they say, available on unix, osx
and windows.

i'd advocate dropping as many hard default lines as possible, or using
them just as a fallback if there is no pkg-config present (instead of
using pkg-config just when no hard default is there). whoever runs a
system without pkg-config is probably prepared to specify non-standard
library paths manually anyway, or uses some sort of distribution
mechanism where a package maintainer would do that.

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 05:06:24PM -0500, Don Bright wrote:
> Another note, I'm not sure what qt mkspec kfreebsd is using, but if
> it's using freebsd-g++ but putting the headers/libs in a different
> place than 'normal' freebsd, then i guess the solution here would be
> to remove the freebsd-g++ include line from the existing eigen2.pri,
> while also adding the 'fallback' that i listed previously so that
> presumably freebsd will always use pkgconfig when looking for eigen2,
> whether kfreebsd or 'normal' freebsd.

i didn't determine the qmake buildspec, but it didn't match, so no
problems there.

on the other hand, the build spec pattern in test/CMakeList.txt *did*
match (as it only matches for the FreeBSD substring), and caused trouble
there too, as it tries to work around a bug not present in debian; the
precise patch will follow when i've got them all on top of the working
stable version.


regards
chrysn

--
I shouldn't have written all those tank programs.
  -- Kevin Flynn

signature.asc (836 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: openscad in debian

chrysn
On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 03:44:38PM +0200, chrysn wrote:
> i have yet to forward the patches to the latest main branch, i was
> working from 2011.12 as my current goal is to get a stable version of
> openscad into debian testing before they freeze.

sorry for the delay, my patch is attached, made of two parts:

* don's pkgconfig-for-qmake patch
* making a freebsd hack not apply to debian (it used 'MATCHES
  "FreeBSD"', i changed it to 'MATCHES "^FreeBSD"' to exclude kFreeBSD)

furthermore, i had to pass

-DEIGEN2_INCLUDE_DIR=`pkg-config --cflags-only-I eigen2 | sed 's/^-I//'`

to the test build script; it's something i can live with, just
mentioning it for others to find the solution.

regards
chrysn

--
To use raw power is to make yourself infinitely vulnerable to greater powers.
  -- Bene Gesserit axiom

kfreebsd.patch (872 bytes) Download Attachment
signature.asc (836 bytes) Download Attachment