is the perspective projection correct?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

is the perspective projection correct?

nophead
Looking at this image  https://github.com/nophead/NopSCADlib/blob/master/libtest.png

It looks like the large box at the back is wider at the back than the front. If I measure it on screen it is actually narrower at the back as it should be. However all the lines seem to be converging towards a point below and to the right of the camera.

That image is produced on a very large canvas with the command line:

openscad --colorscheme=Nature --projection=p --imgsize=4096,4096 --camera=0,0,0,50,0,340,500 --autocenter --viewall -o libtest.png libtest.scad

If I view it in the GUI from the same angle I get this:

image.png

This seems to be wrong the opposite way. I.e.it  seem to diverge towards the front. So it seems the canvas size affects the perspective but neither seem quite right. Obviously things nearer the camera should be bigger, and they are, but they should look to be the same size if the perspective is correct.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: is the perspective projection correct?

nophead
Actually I think it is related to how big it is shown on the screen. Changing the zoom level of the browser changes it from looking too big at the back to too big at the front with the same image. I think it just means we need a field of view parameter which is set relative to how far we are from our screens and how big the image is.

On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 at 09:24, nop head <[hidden email]> wrote:
Looking at this image  https://github.com/nophead/NopSCADlib/blob/master/libtest.png

It looks like the large box at the back is wider at the back than the front. If I measure it on screen it is actually narrower at the back as it should be. However all the lines seem to be converging towards a point below and to the right of the camera.

openscad --colorscheme=Nature --projection=p --imgsize=4096,4096 --camera=0,0,0,50,0,340,500 --autocenter --viewall -o libtest.png libtest.scad

image.png

This seems to be wrong the opposite way. I.e.it  seem to diverge towards the front. So it seems the canvas size affects the perspective but neither seem quite right. Obviously things nearer the camera should be bigger, and they are, but they should look to be the same size if the perspective is correct.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: is the perspective projection correct?

Whosawhatsis
Perspective shouldn't change as you zoom, but it will be affected by moving the camera closer or further from the subject. Changing the distance to the subject and the zoom level simultaneously is how the dolly zoom effect (made famous by Hitchcock's Vertigo) effect is achieved, in which the subject's apparent size in the frame remains constant, but the background gets bigger/smaller.

Openscad's zoom function doesn't appear to be a true zoom, though. Rather, the "camera" is being moved closer/further from the subject to make things bigger or smaller. In orthographic view, these are equivalent, but in perspective view, they are not.

In order to control how renders appear, we need some way to quantify the (angular) field of view being used. This appears to be a constant value for the vertical axis of the preview pane, while the horizontal field of view varies as the aspect ratio changes. 

Incidentally, I've been thinking about bringing up this subject because I've beed creating a lot of renders from Openscad, and I've been considering trying to create identical images via render and photograph, but doing so would require determining the equivalent focal length of the renderer's virtual camera.

On April 24, 2020 at 02:38:12, nop head ([hidden email]) wrote:

Actually I think it is related to how big it is shown on the screen. Changing the zoom level of the browser changes it from looking too big at the back to too big at the front with the same image. I think it just means we need a field of view parameter which is set relative to how far we are from our screens and how big the image is.

On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 at 09:24, nop head <[hidden email]> wrote:

image.png

Reply | Threaded
|

Objects that while rendering disappears.

Juan C.Cilleruelo
In reply to this post by nophead

OpenSCAD version 2019.12.20 (git 2a943a57) For MacOS X.

This piece of code is used, as is, in another design, with different dimensions and it works well. I've treated to change the dimensions on this one but seems that here do not affect the result.

This is the result when I press F5 (Preview)

And this is the result when I press F6 (Render)

The blue walls on the left and Right hand of the inner of the cube disappear.

Next is the code:

module MainBox(Sunshade = false){    union(){       difference(){          union(){             difference(){                //cube to be emptied by another little one                cuboid([BoxX, BoxY, BoxZ],                        fillet = 2, edges = EDGE_TOP_BK + EDGE_TOP_FR + EDGE_TOP_RT + EDGE_TOP_LF+                                            EDGE_FR_LF  + EDGE_FR_RT  + EDGE_BK_LF  + EDGE_BK_RT,                       center = false, $fn=36);                //inner cube to subsctract                translate([wall, wall, -mgn])                cube([BoxX - wall + mgn, BoxY-(wall-mgn)-(wall-mgn), BoxZ - wall + dblmgn]);             }             // prism to hold the screw of the cover.             translate([BoxX - wall - wall, BoxY/2, BoxZ - wall + dblmgn]) rotate([180, 0, 0])                prismoid(size1 = [5, 8], size2 = [0, 8], shift=[2.5, 0], h = 5); 

//THIS TWO FIGURES ARE WHO CAUSES THE PROBLEM

// Right hand PCB separator             color("blue", 1)             translate([wall, BoxY - wall - 1.90, BoxZ - wall - PCB_Gap + mgn]) cube([PCB_X, 2, PCB_Gap]);             // Left hand PCB separator             color("blue", 1)             translate([wall, wall-mgn          , BoxZ - wall - PCB_Gap + mgn]) cube([PCB_X, 2, PCB_Gap]);             

// Sunshade for the leds             if (Sunshade){                translate([0, 50, BoxZ+30])                rotate([-70, 0, 0])                cuboid([BoxX, BoxY-31, 4],                        fillet = 2, edges = EDGE_TOP_BK + EDGE_TOP_FR + EDGE_TOP_RT + EDGE_TOP_LF+                                            EDGE_FR_LF  + EDGE_FR_RT  + EDGE_BK_LF  + EDGE_BK_RT,                       center = false, $fn=36);               }          }          //holes on the top          union(){             //switch hole             translate([BoxX - 25, BoxY-56-wall, BoxZ - wall-10]) rotate([90, 0 ,0]) cylinder(h = 8, d = 7);             // embedded anagram             color("Yellow", 1.0)             translate([BoxX - 40, BoxY-55-wall, BoxZ - mgn-1]) rotate([0, 0, 45]) logoSenCille();                         //rail hole right             translate([wall, BoxY-wall, 2]) cube([BoxX - wall + mgn, 1.7, 2.7]);             //rail hole left             translate([wall, wall-1.7, 2]) cube([BoxX - wall + mgn, 1.7, 2.7]);             // Front rail             color("Gray", 1)             translate([wall-1.7, wall-1.7, 2]) cube([1.7, BoxY-wall-wall + 1.7 + 1.7, 2.7]);                         //Balls of Table tennis             translate([LED_X_RED   + wall, LED_Y + wall, PCB_Gap+19.6]) sphere(d = 39.5, $fn = 100);             translate([LED_X_YELLOW+ wall, LED_Y + wall, PCB_Gap+19.6]) sphere(d = 39.5, $fn = 100);             translate([LED_X_GREEN + wall, LED_Y + wall, PCB_Gap+19.6]) sphere(d = 39.5, $fn = 100);                               // Right hand PCB separator             color("blue", 1)             translate([wall, BoxY - wall - 1.90, BoxZ - wall - PCB_Gap + mgn]) cube([PCB_X, 2, PCB_Gap]);             // Left hand PCB separator             color("blue", 1)             translate([wall, wall-mgn          , BoxZ - wall - PCB_Gap + mgn]) cube([PCB_X, 2, PCB_Gap]);          }       }    } }

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Objects that while rendering disappears.

MichaelAtOz
Administrator

Could you attach the code or upload it somewhere, see below

From: Discuss [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Juan C.Cilleruelo
Sent: Wed, 27 May 2020 16:50
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [OpenSCAD] Objects that while rendering disappears.

OpenSCAD version 2019.12.20 (git 2a943a57) For MacOS X.

This piece of code is used, as is, in another design, with different dimensions and it works well. I've treated to change the dimensions on this one but seems that here do not affect the result.

This is the result when I press F5 (Preview)

And this is the result when I press F6 (Render)

The blue walls on the left and Right hand of the inner of the cube disappear.

Next is the code:

module MainBox(Sunshade = false){    union(){       difference(){          union(){             difference(){                //cube to be emptied by another little one                cuboid([BoxX, BoxY, BoxZ],                        fillet = 2, edges = EDGE_TOP_BK + EDGE_TOP_FR + EDGE_TOP_RT + EDGE_TOP_LF+                                            EDGE_FR_LF  + EDGE_FR_RT  + EDGE_BK_LF  + EDGE_BK_RT,                       center = false, $fn=36);                //inner cube to subsctract                translate([wall, wall, -mgn])                cube([BoxX - wall + mgn, BoxY-(wall-mgn)-(wall-mgn), BoxZ - wall + dblmgn]);             }             // prism to hold the screw of the cover.             translate([BoxX - wall - wall, BoxY/2, BoxZ - wall + dblmgn]) rotate([180, 0, 0])                prismoid(size1 = [5, 8], size2 = [0, 8], shift=[2.5, 0], h = 5); 

//THIS TWO FIGURES ARE WHO CAUSES THE PROBLEM

// Right hand PCB separator             color("blue", 1)             translate([wall, BoxY - wall - 1.90, BoxZ - wall - PCB_Gap + mgn]) cube([PCB_X, 2, PCB_Gap]);             // Left hand PCB separator             color("blue", 1)             translate([wall, wall-mgn          , BoxZ - wall - PCB_Gap + mgn]) cube([PCB_X, 2, PCB_Gap]);             

// Sunshade for the leds             if (Sunshade){                translate([0, 50, BoxZ+30])                rotate([-70, 0, 0])                cuboid([BoxX, BoxY-31, 4],                        fillet = 2, edges = EDGE_TOP_BK + EDGE_TOP_FR + EDGE_TOP_RT + EDGE_TOP_LF+                                            EDGE_FR_LF  + EDGE_FR_RT  + EDGE_BK_LF  + EDGE_BK_RT,                       center = false, $fn=36);               }          }          //holes on the top          union(){             //switch hole             translate([BoxX - 25, BoxY-56-wall, BoxZ - wall-10]) rotate([90, 0 ,0]) cylinder(h = 8, d = 7);             // embedded anagram             color("Yellow", 1.0)             translate([BoxX - 40, BoxY-55-wall, BoxZ - mgn-1]) rotate([0, 0, 45]) logoSenCille();                         //rail hole right             translate([wall, BoxY-wall, 2]) cube([BoxX - wall + mgn, 1.7, 2.7]);             //rail hole left             translate([wall, wall-1.7, 2]) cube([BoxX - wall + mgn, 1.7, 2.7]);             // Front rail             color("Gray", 1)             translate([wall-1.7, wall-1.7, 2]) cube([1.7, BoxY-wall-wall + 1.7 + 1.7, 2.7]);                         //Balls of Table tennis             translate([LED_X_RED   + wall, LED_Y + wall, PCB_Gap+19.6]) sphere(d = 39.5, $fn = 100);             translate([LED_X_YELLOW+ wall, LED_Y + wall, PCB_Gap+19.6]) sphere(d = 39.5, $fn = 100);             translate([LED_X_GREEN + wall, LED_Y + wall, PCB_Gap+19.6]) sphere(d = 39.5, $fn = 100);                               // Right hand PCB separator             color("blue", 1)             translate([wall, BoxY - wall - 1.90, BoxZ - wall - PCB_Gap + mgn]) cube([PCB_X, 2, PCB_Gap]);             // Left hand PCB separator             color("blue", 1)             translate([wall, wall-mgn          , BoxZ - wall - PCB_Gap + mgn]) cube([PCB_X, 2, PCB_Gap]);          }       }    } }

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Admin - email* me if you need anything, or if I've done something stupid...
* click on my MichaelAtOz label, there is a link to email me.

Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work.
Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.