difference / intersection preview problems: pilot error not understanding View/Thrown Together

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

difference / intersection preview problems: pilot error not understanding View/Thrown Together

JordanBrown
As a side note in a previous thread, I said:
Strangely, the first time that I previewed this model, the intersection ... didn't.  It showed the original docks and the cubes for the intersection, and the intersection acted like a union.  Subsequent previews, including after restarting, got it right.  (Give or take the convexity issue.)  This is on 2021.01 on Windows.

I think I found the culprit for this strange behavior - pilot error, not understanding the behavior of View/Thrown Together.

I have a trivial case now:
difference(){
    cube(100);
    cube(100,true);   
}
F5s as this:

But then I realized that I'd been using View/Thrown Together to look at a polyhedron, and indeed when I switched to View/Preview I got the expected result:

There's a similar behavior for intersection:

vs

This is consistent with the behavior I was experiencing:  I'd load up a model, it would display wrong, I'd mess with it and eventually F6 it (which resets View/Thrown Together), and since I wasn't aware of the View/Thrown Together tie-in it would stay fixed until the next time I happened to look at a model with an intersection or difference while I had View/Thrown Together set.

The documentation for View/Thrown Together describes this behavior for difference(), but not for intersection().