Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

coil

roland78
Hi everibody.

Can someone help me with a solution for this:
---how to import this one  
and use it in this twists  (color"blue") and color ("red") and to have the shape from color("grey") ? With the command UNION or other command ? And how to be write it?

color ("blue")
linear_extrude(height = 10, center = true, convexity = 10, twist = -100)
translate([2, 0, 0])
circle(r = 1);
 color ("red")
linear_extrude(height = 10, center = true, convexity = 10, twist = 100)
translate([2, 0, 0])
circle(r = 1);

color("grey")
linear_extrude(height = 10, scale = 0, center = true, convexity = 10, twist = -500)
translate([2, 0, 0])
circle(r = 1);

For more questions just write.

Thank you,Roland.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: coil

Ronaldo
linear_extrude() requires a 2D shape. One way to input an 2D shape from a file is the import function. But this function can't be used to import .PNG files just .dxf.

2017-01-20 14:34 GMT-02:00 roland78 <[hidden email]>:
Hi everibody.

Can someone help me with a solution for this:
---how to import this one
<http://forum.openscad.org/file/n20172/Screenshot_%28158%29.png>
and use it in this twists  (color"blue") and color ("red") and to have the
shape from color("grey") ? With the command UNION or other command ? And how
to be write it?

color ("blue")
linear_extrude(height = 10, center = true, convexity = 10, twist = -100)
translate([2, 0, 0])
circle(r = 1);
 color ("red")
linear_extrude(height = 10, center = true, convexity = 10, twist = 100)
translate([2, 0, 0])
circle(r = 1);

color("grey")
linear_extrude(height = 10, scale = 0, center = true, convexity = 10, twist
= -500)
translate([2, 0, 0])
circle(r = 1);

For more questions just write.

Thank you,Roland.

--
View this message in context: http://forum.openscad.org/coil-tp20172.html
Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Reply | Threaded
|

Parkinbot
Schauberger stuff usually can't be done with linear_extrude solely. His drafts describe fully "organic" shapes, quite difficult to model. Have a look at the orginal patent description to see what's it all about.
Reply | Threaded
|

roland78
Hi.
     Thanks for reply. I'm beginner in this program and i saw it a way to do it.I converted this picture with online converters from jpeg to dxf, and used the little program what you sugest it to me, and i don't succed to import.Maybe i do it wrong.But what is missing then? The patent i read it a lot of times and his writings too,now i must to do it and for help i posted here.If you havean  idea how to do it let me know please. thank you.What do you think if this coil will be done with hand and after with a 3D scanner ,is posible for that program to do it?  Thank you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Parkinbot
To import a dxf, it should be enough to write
    import("my.dxf");
Maybe your path is not correct. If you are on Windows you have to use either "\\" or "/" as path separator. Try to put your file into the same directory as the scad file, then you can omit the path.  
Also there are some DXF formats OpenSCAD will not read. It is important to save your file using "polylines".

Don't expect to much.
Schauberger doesn't give any formulas. So you have to find out yourself, which of his many forms and intuitive designs you want to model and which "inner" relation you want to use for extrusion. And there is already the limitation.
Say you have the "egg with dint" imported and want to extrude it in a helical fashin. For this you have to deside how you model the spiral extrusion. Typical for Schauberger is that both, diameter and slope alter along the extrusion axis.
Even the linear_extrusion() primitive of OpenSCAD lets you do a lot, it neither supports a change of slope nor non-linear changes of diameter. The best you can get will be a twisted cone extrusion:

linear_extrude(height = 100, scale = 1.5, twist = 2*360, slices = 200)
difference() // replace this by: import("scan.dxf");
{
  polygon(Egg(r=10, f=1.4, o = 1));  polygon(Egg(r=9, f=1.4, o = 1));  
}

function Egg(r = 10, f=1.3, b=10, o=1) = [for(i=[0:359])  [f*r*sin(i), r*cos(i + cos(o*i)*b)] ];
Reply | Threaded
|

Neon22
In reply to this post by roland78
try using inkscape (either import your dxf, or use internal convert bitmap) and this extension to export to openSCAD.
- http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1065500
but all it will do is extrude the shape into 3d. Not sur what final result you're going for.
Could be quite hard to do in any program ??
Reply | Threaded
|

eexpss
this Inkscape_to_OpenSCAD_converter_v7 extension is more comfortable for me. pure scad file output and only simple two files. not need dxf in the middle.

Reply | Threaded
|

roland78
In reply to this post by Neon22
Hi.

Thanks for reply. This program help me.

Questions :

1.  can please help me to combine your program :

linear_extrude(height = 100, scale = 1.5, twist = 2*360, slices = 200)
difference() // replace this by: import("scan.dxf");
{
  polygon(Egg(r=10, f=1.4, o = 1));  polygon(Egg(r=9, f=1.4, o = 1));  
}
function Egg(r = 10, f=1.3, b=10, o=1) = [for(i=[0:359])  [f*r*sin(i), r*cos(i + cos(o*i)*b)] ];

with this 2 programs :

color ("blue")
linear_extrude(height = 4,scale = 0.6, center = true, convexity = 10,twist = -100,
slices=10,
height = 6, center = true, convexity = 10, twist = 100)
translate([4, 3, 0])
circle(r = 1);

color ("red")
linear_extrude(height = 6, center = true, convexity = 10, twist = -100)
rotate([180,150,0])
translate([5, 3,30])
circle(r = 1);

2. is a posibility to can modify the EGG from your program ( i succed to find and modify it until a point,but just the half of the egg the pointed side) ;
   -----  let say : to do the concave side-s , to make the egg longer, shorter, higher, concave( like in color -blue and red ) ?

3.  How can i join the programs from question 1 and 2 , and other parts to it,in a string ?

4.  If this coil is ready in this program,can i transfer it to the cnc? Or needs more transformations?

I try it myself with your program to add it to this blue and red ,but is still missing something,which for me is imposible now to understand.
        I do it this coil until a point in FUSION 360 and a friend ( like you is trying to help me there),but in that program is missing some commands to achieve it.

Thank you for your time for me,Roland.
Reply | Threaded
|

Parkinbot
It is difficult to compose a function that describes exactly the desired shape. But it is easy to use a path tool with bezier support to model the egg with dint. I used Inkscape:
1. imported the relevant part of your bitmap as a template
2. started to draw an ellipse with appropriate size
3. converted it into a path
4. used beziers to exactly model the outer line of the dinted egg
5. deleted the bitmap and saved the drawing as SVG. Newer builds of OpenSCAD (2016.xx) can read this format.
6. to export a DXF, see http://repraprip.blogspot.de/2011/05/inkscape-to-openscad-dxf-tutorial.html

I attached both formats for your convenience. Interestingly they have a different scale and origin!
schaubi.dxf
schaubi.svg

To be honest I don't understand how you want to apply your coloring scheme or a double helix with this shape to get some magic water flow. But with the following code it should be easy for you to continue on your own.

Here some code to use it:
h = 200;
n = 3;

color("lightblue")
  linear_extrude(height = h, twist = n*360, slices = 300)
    scale(.1) dintedegg_skin();

module dintedegg_skin() {
  difference()
  {
    offset(10) import("schaubi.svg");  // import("schaubi.dxf");
    import("schaubi.svg");
  }
}

Reply | Threaded
|

Parkinbot
In reply to this post by eexpss
eexpss wrote
this Inkscape_to_OpenSCAD_converter_v7 extension is more comfortable for me. pure scad file output and only simple two files. not need dxf in the middle.
But it take years to F6 render even basic stuff. Just tried it with the dinted egg.
SVG is the most convenient provided you have a OpenSCAD 2016.xx installed.
Reply | Threaded
|

eexpss
directly use svg? OpenSCAD version 2016.12.26.nightly (git 1fd9f05)  here.

when surface()
WARNING: Illegal value in '/home/eexp/openscad/bike.svg': bad lexical cast: source type value could not be interpreted as target

when import()
ERROR: Unsupported file format while trying to import file '"bike.svg"'