VBitText

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

VBitText

OpenSCAD mailing list-2
There have been discussions about text with sloping rather than parallel vertical edges. For example, see OpenSCAD - Chiseled Font? and OpenSCAD - Chamfered 3D text

Here is my take on a solution to this problem. https://github.com/DomenicoMarseglia/OneStrokeTextOpenSCAD The name VBitText is based on the idea of a simulation of a V shaped milling bit in a CNC router.

I use single stroke fonts. Unlike TrueType fonts which are defined as the outline of a 2-dimensional area, these fonts are described by the centre line of the font geometry. I convert these fonts into an OpenSCAD file with a set of line segments per glyph.

I have also written some OpenSCAD code in to render a string of text using these tables.

This is the way you might use the code:

use  <OneStrokeText.scad>
translate([0,50,0])
VbitText("Hello",40, "Hershey-Sans 1-stroke", 6, 0, 4);
VbitText("Hello",40, "Custom-Script", 6, 0, 4);

This is the kind of effect you can get:

The code is very much proof of concept at this stage. It works with some .svg files. It fails with some others I have seen.

If you have performance issues, then keep the number of fonts to a minimum and reduce line_segments_per_bezier_segment in the Python script.  If you still have performance issues, then you might consider editing the fonts to reduce the number of curve segments or glyphs in the font.

What do you think? Does this approach have merit, or am I re-inventing a wheel?

Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

|

Re: VBitText

JordanBrown
Definitely much prettier than the "linear_extrude + offset" answer.

Having to include the definitions of the characters in the source is painful.

Hmm.  Along the same line as functions that extract text metrics, that return STL files as data, et cetera, it seems like it wouldn't be terribly hard to have a function that returns text as a series of points defining paths - an array of paths, each of which is an array of points.  That should be pretty straightforward to extract from the underlying text layout engine.

Maybe after I figure out how to get objects/structures/dictionaries working, at least for function returns.

|

OpenSCAD mailing list-2
JordanBrown wrote
 Along the same line as functions that extract text metrics, that
return STL files as data, et cetera, it seems like it wouldn't be
terribly hard to have a function that returns text as a series of points
defining paths - an array of paths, each of which is an array of
points.
That is what I did isn't it? The Python script extracts the font geometry from the SVG file and creates a table of X,Y points in OpenSCAD. Then for each pair of points defining a line segment I put a cone at each end of the line and connect them with a hull(). I do not create STL files.

|

JordanBrown
On 3/23/2021 1:28 AM, Domenico Marseglia via Discuss wrote:
JordanBrown wrote
 Along the same line as functions that extract text metrics, that
return STL files as data, et cetera, it seems like it wouldn't be
terribly hard to have a function that returns text as a series of points
defining paths - an array of paths, each of which is an array of
points.
That is what I did isn't it? The Python script extracts the font geometry from the SVG file and creates a table of X,Y points in OpenSCAD. Then for each pair of points defining a line segment I put a cone at each end of the line and connect them with a hull(). I do not create STL files.

First, the STL reference was to a previous discussion.  It's not directly relevant to this discussion, except in that the functions would be similar.

Yes, I understand that you extracted font data from some source and translated it into OpenSCAD language.

That's not what I'm suggesting.

OpenSCAD has its own text handling.  The shapes involved in rendering text are available internally.  There could be a function that rendered text, but instead of rendering it into internal geometry rendered it into data to return to the OpenSCAD program.  It could do that *without* needing external processing to convert font data from an external source into OpenSCAD data.

|

NateTG
In reply to this post by OpenSCAD mailing list-2
OpenSCAD mailing list-2 wrote
What do you think? Does this approach have merit, or am I re-inventing a
wheel?
I did something similar with xy data from postscript in one of the threads that you linked to.  The hard part is getting access to the geometry for the letters in a nice way.  (The lack of userspace access to geometry information is a big limitation of OpenSCAD in general.)

|

OpenSCAD mailing list-2
In reply to this post by JordanBrown
Jordan

Are you suggesting a modification to the C++ of OpenSCAD itself, rather than a .scad library? I agree that would give much better results. (From a speed and usability point of view, the final .STL files would be identical). However, I thought the general consensus of opinion was to do as much as possible in the user code. Have I misjudged that?

To date, I have not even built OpenSCAD from the source, never mind investigated how to do this kind of modification. I hope to look into that for my own curiosity if nothing else.

In the short term, I shall restrict myself to creating / improving the available .SVG fonts. That is a constructive step in the right direction for this use case and indeed for the other projects that can make use of single stroke fonts.

|

JordanBrown
On 3/23/2021 12:20 PM, Domenico Marseglia via Discuss wrote:
Are you suggesting a modification to the C++ of OpenSCAD itself, rather than a .scad library?

Yes.

However, I thought the general consensus of opinion was to do as much as possible in the user code. Have I misjudged that?

There's always a balancing act.  You don't want to throw stuff into the core when there isn't a significant win from doing so.  At the same time you *do* want to put stuff in the core when there *is* a significant win.  Having to write external processing to convert font data seems like an unreasonable cost.  (Note that OpenSCAD did not always have the text() module.  Before the text() module, there were text libraries that relied on loading font data as OpenSCAD data.  Putting text() in the core was a big win.)

That said...

In the short term, I shall restrict myself to creating / improving the available .SVG fonts. That is a constructive step in the right direction for this use case and indeed for the other projects that can make use of single stroke fonts.

The fonts that OpenSCAD uses internally are not single-stroke fonts; they are outline fonts.  That makes it unclear whether their data would be directly helpful here.

However, it'd still be useful, e.g., for curving glyphs around a cylinder.