Using CNC Machine OUTPUTS (How ?)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Using CNC Machine OUTPUTS (How ?)

ugwick
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
Gentlemen :

OpenScad doe s the necessary stuff to convert STL files , and others , into the Gcode used by any CNC machine . If one examines the Gcode itself , there are commands to turn ON and OFF things like pumps , spindle motors and 16 other OUTPUTs . THe question : How does one deal with these from within OpenScad ?

How does a guy get an actual loo0k at the CAD code to be able to modify . IF this program is 'open sourced' this would not present any licensing problems . Note that I am a 'hardware guy' looking for a software type to help solve this problem . I would ultiamately like to be able to deal with these built in outputs that are rarely used . THe Gcode commands for these are M90 (turn ON) and M91 (turn OFF) Thanx for all of the help fellas .
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using CNC Machine OUTPUTS (How ?)

KeithSloan52
You could do worse than trying FreeCAD .

I would download the latest version https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases see Pre 0.17

You should be able to open SCAD or CSG files with it and it has a Path Workbench for CNC.
Note: The Path workbench is still under development.

OpenSCAD files with minkowski requests can be a bit tricky, but worth a try.

You probably want to set the preference in the OpenSCAD workbench to control the point where polygons get converted to circles.

If there are no minkowski and hull requests then the FreeCAD version will not contain meshes ( STL type ) which I would have thought was better for CNC.

If you hit any problems/issues report them in the FreeCAD forum https://forum.freecadweb.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using CNC Machine OUTPUTS (How ?)

William Adams-2
I just export a .stl from OpenSCAD, then process it in MeshCAM. List of opensource options for it here: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/CAM#3D

I did project (projection?) one file into slices which were saved (as DXFs?) which I then processed using MakerCAM (somehow I got them to SVGs I think).

William

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 3:33 PM, KeithSloan52 <[hidden email]> wrote:
You could do worse than trying FreeCAD .

I would download the latest version
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases see Pre 0.17

You should be able to open SCAD or CSG files with it and it has a Path
Workbench for CNC.
Note: The Path workbench is still under development.

OpenSCAD files with minkowski requests can be a bit tricky, but worth a try.

You probably want to set the preference in the OpenSCAD workbench to control
the point where polygons get converted to circles.

If there are no minkowski and hull requests then the FreeCAD version will
not contain meshes ( STL type ) which I would have thought was better for
CNC.

If you hit any problems/issues report them in the FreeCAD forum
https://forum.freecadweb.org



--
View this message in context: http://forum.openscad.org/Using-CNC-Machine-OUTPUTS-How-tp21653p21654.html
Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using CNC Machine OUTPUTS (How ?)

MichaelAtOz
Administrator
In reply to this post by ugwick
Note your post is still flagged as "This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet", so nobody gets it unless they look.
You need to subscribe to the mailing list, and CLICK THE LINK in the registration email (check your spam folder).

ugwick wrote
Gentlemen :

OpenScad doe s the necessary stuff to convert STL files , and others , into the Gcode used by any CNC machine . If one examines the Gcode itself , there are commands to turn ON and OFF things like pumps , spindle motors and 16 other OUTPUTs . THe question : How does one deal with these from within OpenScad ?

How does a guy get an actual loo0k at the CAD code to be able to modify . IF this program is 'open sourced' this would not present any licensing problems . Note that I am a 'hardware guy' looking for a software type to help solve this problem . I would ultiamately like to be able to deal with these built in outputs that are rarely used . THe Gcode commands for these are M90 (turn ON) and M91 (turn OFF) Thanx for all of the help fellas .
Re your question, OpenSCAD does not deal with G-code, that is the job of CAM software, for 3D printers, that is a Slicer, for Laser cutting it is usually software shipped with the device, for CNC probably likewise. So you'll need to get advice from whomever sells/operates the CNC device you will be controlling. That piece of software is where you get to look at the G-code.
Admin - PM me if you need anything,
or if I've done something stupid...

Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work.
Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.


The TPP is no simple “trade agreement.” Fight it! http://www.ourfairdeal.org/ time is running out!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using CNC Machine OUTPUTS (How ?)

ugwick
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
Gentlemen :

Thank you ALL for this quick response to this newb question . This stuff IS all new to this old dog . My electronix engineering background is saving my butt so far . I guess that all of that machine level coding finally helped out . LoL .

I will give these linx a go shrtly to see if I can get a better result . A test for the success of getting at the Gcode for dealing with any outputs and their connected devices will be done with the spindle motor and mist pump outputs . I am untimately after 3 or 4 outputs that can be turned on and off within the OpenScad code , CURA or similar . I am after the variables that label COLOR layers as an output . As OpenScad compiles , it also strips off any color layer info at this point . Getting these 3 outputs to go thru the coding and survive makes it an easy-peezy matter to marry up with a multi filament extruder like the DIAMOND . The hardware , got that nailed !

So if there are any software genius types who want an equal part of this venture , I have a couple of contacts to sell the sucessful technology for some major coin . Any takers ?    Rick
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using CNC Machine OUTPUTS (How ?)

William Adams-2
In reply to this post by MichaelAtOz
For those who want G-code w/in OpenSCAD, be sure to look up ImplicitCAD: http://www.implicitcad.org/

ISTR some other similar tools, maybe listed at: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Programmatic_G-Code_Generators and if not there, check the CAD and CAM pages.

William



On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 9:23 PM, MichaelAtOz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Note your post is still flagged as "This post has NOT been accepted by the
mailing list yet", so nobody gets it unless they look.
You need to subscribe to the  mailing list
<http://forum.openscad.org/mailing_list/MailingListOptions.jtp?forum=1>  ,
and CLICK THE LINK in the registration email (check your spam folder).


ugwick wrote
> Gentlemen :
>
> OpenScad doe s the necessary stuff to convert STL files , and others ,
> into the Gcode used by any CNC machine . If one examines the Gcode itself
> , there are commands to turn ON and OFF things like pumps , spindle motors
> and 16 other OUTPUTs . THe question : How does one deal with these from
> within OpenScad ?
>
> How does a guy get an actual loo0k at the CAD code to be able to modify .
> IF this program is 'open sourced' this would not present any licensing
> problems . Note that I am a 'hardware guy' looking for a software type to
> help solve this problem . I would ultiamately like to be able to deal with
> these built in outputs that are rarely used . THe Gcode commands for these
> are M90 (turn ON) and M91 (turn OFF) Thanx for all of the help fellas .

Re your question, OpenSCAD does not deal with G-code, that is the job of
CAM software <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-aided_manufacturing>  ,
for 3D printers, that is a  Slicer
<https://all3dp.com/1/best-3d-slicer-software-3d-printer/>  , for Laser
cutting it is usually software shipped with the device, for CNC probably
likewise. So you'll need to get advice from whomever sells/operates the CNC
device you will be controlling. That piece of software is where you get to
look at the G-code.



-----
Admin - PM me if you need anything, or if I've done something stupid...

Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work. Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.

The TPP is no simple “trade agreement.”   Fight it! http://www.ourfairdeal.org/   time is running out!
--
View this message in context: http://forum.openscad.org/Using-CNC-Machine-OUTPUTS-How-tp21653p21656.html
Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using CNC Machine OUTPUTS (How ?)

MichaelAtOz
Administrator
In reply to this post by ugwick
http://hackaday.com/2013/12/23/software-advice-for-anyone-thinking-about-a-cnc-router/
Admin - PM me if you need anything,
or if I've done something stupid...

Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work.
Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.


The TPP is no simple “trade agreement.” Fight it! http://www.ourfairdeal.org/ time is running out!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using CNC Machine OUTPUTS (How ?)

Parkinbot
In reply to this post by ugwick
Rick,

there is not even a gleam of hope to get a G-code export for OpenSCAD. G-code is very hardware-specific and a tool producing G-code needs to know a lot about the target machine and the material. Moreover, OpenSCAD does (by now) not include any color information into its output formats and I don't see this in the next future.
There are several ways to get a color output. The common one used now by multi-color FDM printers is to produce an STL for each color.
If you have a printer that can blend color, like one with a diamond hotend, you will have to produce something like a VMRL description (wrl) and further need a slicer or at least a post processor that will interpret the color profile and include color definition commands into the G-code and in a format the target hardware "understands". As slicing and color change might be dependent, this is a quite complicated process and an implementation is not at all straight forward. I am afraid, it will not be done by just including just some Mxxx commands into the G-code sequence. I am currently working out an true color system for FDM and can tell you, that you are just scratching the tip of the iceberg with your venture and that OpenSCAD is not at all the tool you will be heading for at the first place.
Rudolf

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using CNC Machine OUTPUTS (How ?)

nophead
There is a pull request to get colour SVGs. I don't know why it didn't get accepted but I will probably use if myself when I get my Glowforge laser cutter.

On 9 June 2017 at 10:56, Parkinbot <[hidden email]> wrote:
Rick,

there is not even a gleam of hope to get a G-code export for OpenSCAD.
G-code is very hardware-specific and a tool producing G-code needs to know a
lot about the target machine and the material. Moreover, OpenSCAD does (by
now) not include any color information into its output formats and I don't
see this in the next future.
There are several ways to get a color output. The common one used now by
multi-color FDM printers is to produce an STL for each color.
If you have a printer that can blend color, like one with a diamond hotend,
you will have to produce something like a VMRL description (wrl) and further
need a slicer or at least a post processor that will interpret the color
profile and include color definition commands into the G-code and in a
format the target hardware "understands". As slicing and color change might
be dependent, this is a quite complicated process and an implementation is
not at all straight forward. I am afraid, it will not be done by just
including just some Mxxx commands into the G-code sequence. I am currently
working out an true color system for FDM and can tell you, that you are just
scratching the tip of the iceberg with your venture and that OpenSCAD is not
at all the tool you will be heading for at the first place.
Rudolf





--
View this message in context: http://forum.openscad.org/Using-CNC-Machine-OUTPUTS-How-tp21653p21664.html
Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using CNC Machine OUTPUTS (How ?)

William Adams-2
One other thing which might work, for some projects at least --- I've been using METAPOST and OpenSCAD in concert --- I do the modeling in OpenSCAD, and use an external file to load parameters, but in conjunction with that, I write a matching METAPOST file which loads the same parameter file, and instead creates a 2D cut file.

William

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 6:33 AM, nop head <[hidden email]> wrote:
There is a pull request to get colour SVGs. I don't know why it didn't get accepted but I will probably use if myself when I get my Glowforge laser cutter.

On 9 June 2017 at 10:56, Parkinbot <[hidden email]> wrote:
Rick,

there is not even a gleam of hope to get a G-code export for OpenSCAD.
G-code is very hardware-specific and a tool producing G-code needs to know a
lot about the target machine and the material. Moreover, OpenSCAD does (by
now) not include any color information into its output formats and I don't
see this in the next future.
There are several ways to get a color output. The common one used now by
multi-color FDM printers is to produce an STL for each color.
If you have a printer that can blend color, like one with a diamond hotend,
you will have to produce something like a VMRL description (wrl) and further
need a slicer or at least a post processor that will interpret the color
profile and include color definition commands into the G-code and in a
format the target hardware "understands". As slicing and color change might
be dependent, this is a quite complicated process and an implementation is
not at all straight forward. I am afraid, it will not be done by just
including just some Mxxx commands into the G-code sequence. I am currently
working out an true color system for FDM and can tell you, that you are just
scratching the tip of the iceberg with your venture and that OpenSCAD is not
at all the tool you will be heading for at the first place.
Rudolf





--
View this message in context: http://forum.openscad.org/Using-CNC-Machine-OUTPUTS-How-tp21653p21664.html
Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org



_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using CNC Machine OUTPUTS (How ?)

Parkinbot
In reply to this post by nophead
In the beginning I had the faint hope that it would be possible to write a post processer that will be able to combine the color information contained in the csg of a design with the resulting stl. It would contain some function that calculates a color for each triangle given by the STL. I found out that the result is not unique at least not well-defined and none is the results that we get from F5 output.

Let's first see how OpenSCAD treats color in 2D (ok, there is no 2D in OpenSCAD, but I mean something, that might be exported into SVG format)

{
    color("green")circle(6);
    color("red")square(10,center = true);
}

now, which color results for the planes (and polygons) covered by both objects? Green, red or even worse a mixture of both?
Second, let's look at a simple compound 3D object, which at the first glance looks quite nice, at least from outside.  

    color("green")cube(10, center = true);
    color("red")sphere(6);


But, which coloring would you expect from the following code?
intersection()
{
    color("red")sphere(6);
    color("green")cube(10, center = true);
}


Is it the ordering of the operands that defines the color of the intersection planes?
intersection()
{
    color("green")cube(10, center = true);
    color("red")sphere(6);
}
No. The ordering has no effect on the result.  

Now the question: How would you define a tetraeder in OpenSCAD that consists of a green, a yellow, a blue and a red triangle? Tricky, but not so difficult - the tetraeder can be unioned by smaller tetraeders having these colors. But would this approach be viable as general solution to individually colorize the faces of more general objects?


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using CNC Machine OUTPUTS (How ?)

doug.moen
This is a reply to Parkinbot, about applying colour to 3D objects.

I'm pretty happy with the colour model of the 3D solid modelling tool I am developing (Curv).

Because it's a solid modelling tool intended for 3D printing, it uses a volumetric colour model that assigns a colour to every point in the interior of an object, not just to points on the surface. My eventual goal is to create geometric models for printers like the RoVa 4D or the HP Jet Fusion, which can control the colour of each voxel within a printed object. You can't do this if you only have control over the colour of triangles on the boundary of the solid.

Parkinbot wants to control the colour of triangles in an STL, which seems like a different goal. If OpenSCAD is to export coloured 3D models, then does it do solid/volumetric colouring, or does it do surface colouring? I think this choice leads to different looking APIs.

In Curv, with its volumetric colour model,
* An expression like 'colour red (cube 10)' sets every geometric point within the cube to red.
* The union and intersection operators both give precedence to the colour of the last shape in the argument list.

So,
    union ( colour red (cube 10), colour green (sphere 6) )
and
    union ( colour green (sphere 6), colour red (cube 10)  )
give different results. They look the same from the outside:


but they look different when you cut them open:



In a Curv intersection, all of the colour comes from the last shape in the argument list. (I used intersection to cut open the shapes in the above 2 images.)

In summary, these are the semantics I want for colour and colour export. Other people may feel differently, depending on what they are trying to accomplish.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using CNC Machine OUTPUTS (How ?)

Parkinbot
Doug,

it can make sense to either let the first or last operand of a boolean operation define the common volume color. However, with respect to difference() the first operand seems to be a more prominent candidate. But please also note that Boolean operations will then lose their common semantics, at least with respect to color. I'm not sure, whether this is a good idea, as it can have unexpected results when complex boolean operations are transformed into other boolean operations, or code is reused. Therefore I'd prefer a more explicit definition of the common color via a parameter, that can default to a specific color in the used color scheme.  
union(color = "red", alpha .5){ ... }
While this can be a viable solution for material oriented coloring, as it is used for multi-extruder printers, it covers only a (small) part of real world needs. Texture mapping is the other use case that is larger, especially when true color output devices will be more and more available. OpenSCAD's design should at least not obstruct the entrance into this world, howsoever it will be able to include it one day. The definition could be done in the proposed way with one parameter referring to the image and a second one defining the map.  

rew
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using CNC Machine OUTPUTS (How ?)

rew
In reply to this post by doug.moen
On Fri, Jun 09, 2017 at 10:21:21AM -0700, doug.moen wrote:
> * The union and intersection operators both give precedence to the colour of
> the last shape in the argument list.

That, IMHO is not ideal.

If I have a complicated object, composed of different sub-pieces
(Separate print jobs for my 3D printer, maybe because they move with
respect to each other) I often color them in bright colors to be able
to see what part belongs to which object.

Now, sometimes the inside is obscured. So I use an intersection with a
simple object like a cube or cylinder to cut somewhere where I want to
examine my object.

I would think that keeping the colors of the complicated object is
what I would like to happen. So I would like to set my help-object to
color=bland : give precedence to other colors.

I would in this case prefer to write my complicated object first. i.e.
to me it makes more sense to have the FIRST color dominate.

A union why does it need to be one color?
I often have

module box ()
{
 union () {
   color ("red") left ();
   color ("blue") right ();
   ...
  }
}

(often forget the union because that also does what I want...)

        Roger.

--
** [hidden email] ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**    Delftechpark 26 2628 XH  Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233    **
*-- BitWizard writes Linux device drivers for any device you may have! --*
The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike
Phil, this plan just might work.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using CNC Machine OUTPUTS (How ?)

doug.moen
I said:
> The union and intersection operators both give precedence to the colour of
> the last shape in the argument list.

Roger said:
> That, IMHO is not ideal.

At first, I coded union and intersection to give precedence to the colour of the *first* shape in the argument list.

Then, I went through a period where I was making 2-D pictures by building up layers of coloured objects using union. At that time, it seemed more natural to write code where the last shape in a union list was drawn "on top", so I changed the order.

Right now, I'm working on a collection of 3D shapes where I construct various space-filling lattice patterns (which are sometimes multi-coloured), then crop them by intersecting them with another shape.  Right now, the "other shape" must appear as the first argument to intersection. And it's just like Roger says, it would be more convenient for that "other shape" to appear at the end.

Roger said:
> I would in this case prefer to write my complicated object first. i.e.
> to me it makes more sense to have the FIRST color dominate.

At this point, I suspect that the "natural order" depends on what you are doing, and whatever convention I choose won't be the best in all situations. So all I can do is pick a convention and stick with it.

Doug.

On 10 June 2017 at 06:21, Rogier Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 09, 2017 at 10:21:21AM -0700, doug.moen wrote:
> * The union and intersection operators both give precedence to the colour of
> the last shape in the argument list.

That, IMHO is not ideal.

If I have a complicated object, composed of different sub-pieces
(Separate print jobs for my 3D printer, maybe because they move with
respect to each other) I often color them in bright colors to be able
to see what part belongs to which object.

Now, sometimes the inside is obscured. So I use an intersection with a
simple object like a cube or cylinder to cut somewhere where I want to
examine my object.

I would think that keeping the colors of the complicated object is
what I would like to happen. So I would like to set my help-object to
color=bland : give precedence to other colors.

I would in this case prefer to write my complicated object first. i.e.
to me it makes more sense to have the FIRST color dominate.

A union why does it need to be one color?
I often have

module box ()
{
 union () {
   color ("red") left ();
   color ("blue") right ();
   ...
  }
}

(often forget the union because that also does what I want...)

        Roger.

--
** [hidden email] ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** <a href="tel:%2B31-15-2600998" value="+31152600998">+31-15-2600998 **
**    Delftechpark 26 2628 XH  Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233    **
*-- BitWizard writes Linux device drivers for any device you may have! --*
The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike
Phil, this plan just might work.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
rew
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using CNC Machine OUTPUTS (How ?)

rew
On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 11:03:10AM -0400, doug moen wrote:

> At this point, I suspect that the "natural order" depends on what you are
> doing, and whatever convention I choose won't be the best in all
> situations. So all I can do is pick a convention and stick with it.

You're right. It depends. I didn't want to preach the one-and-only
right way of doing it. The idea was to trigger at least some thought
about this. If after some thought a decision is made. Great. I want to
prevent the situation where noone every took a decision e.g. "it is
also inconvenient for me, but in the implementation it turned out like
that. "

Have you ever looked into the NBD protocol? It was made extensible by
having a 128 byte "reserved block". Well, that never got used, the
protocol version needed to be upgraded because clients and servers
could never be sure the other side understood what they wanted. And
then this happened again! Sitting down for half an hour thinking about
such things helps enormously.

        Roger.

--
** [hidden email] ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**    Delftechpark 26 2628 XH  Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233    **
*-- BitWizard writes Linux device drivers for any device you may have! --*
The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike
Phil, this plan just might work.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using CNC Machine OUTPUTS (How ?)

ugwick
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
In reply to this post by ugwick
Gentlemen :

This stuff is really cool to see happening . This 'hardwae guy' is impressed by the comment you guys are posting . Most of them actually make some sense to me . I think that Doug Moen's approach is getting closer to the truth of what I visualize happening .

As for the asigning of color coded 'variables' to the eventually compiled Gcode still seems to be the key to all of this . As I understand , the Gcode is a generic / old approach for ANY numerically encoded machine . THe deal with this is that there are quite a few of the device outputs that can be used which are normally not . I have the hardware for running a DIAMOND 3 filament extruder working on the bench from Mach3 running on my CNC router project . No worries generating the generating the signals required for the interface I designed . I will be doing LIVE color testing with the new head when it arrives in about 6 weeks from now . The idea is to set up an R ,G , B fialment setup to at least generate the primary color mixing . I may have to monkey around with the 'steps per mm settings' of each of the heads as there may be 3 running at the same time . I will need help for this but here is the example :

Currently , for generating a 4mm layer thickness from one extruder has Xamount steps / mm of filament . If 3 extruders are used , this amount would be 1/3 Xamount to maintain the same volume of plastic extruded to see a 4mm layer . Get it ?

For my experiments , I will be manually generating th code signals thru switching to see what happens while doing a print . I should be able to view hte color mixing from primary colors AND the thickness problems of the unadjusted stepping / mm filament feed progress .

Hardware wise , this project is sussed . Adding 2 more filament colors like black and white is easy . Now we could have full grey scale and the full 16,384K color pallette available . Wrapping a JPEG around a shape is my ultimate goal .

Please keep up the great work fellas . This old guy loves it . Kudos mates .   Rick
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using CNC Machine OUTPUTS (How ?)

MichaelAtOz
Administrator
Rick,

As I mentioned before, your post is still flagged as "This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet", so nobody gets it unless they look.
You need to subscribe to the mailing list, and CLICK THE LINK in the registration email (check your spam folder).

Have you seen Reprap.org? It seems right up your street, I haven't visited much lately, but it seems to still have a lot of activity.
Admin - PM me if you need anything,
or if I've done something stupid...

Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work.
Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.


The TPP is no simple “trade agreement.” Fight it! http://www.ourfairdeal.org/ time is running out!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using CNC Machine OUTPUTS (How ?)

ugwick
Gentlemen :

Downloaded and installed a copy of FreeCad today and noted that it has the capability to generate 2D tool paths . As a result of this , it does pass the necessary Gcodes for tool offsets and types in the G28 G29 codes . Haven't seen any minkowski codes yet but this is what I am looking for . (Just learnning this stuff guys so bear with me please ) I have a micro-controller circuit designed and breaqdboarded to do the necessay coding for a Diamond Head extruder AND the 'pulses per mm. of fiber extruded divider network' . The divider uses a simple algorithm which divides each color extruder by the amount of active colors at the time being printed . This division would allow for the COMBINED extruded of all active ones to TOTAL the amount of plastic deposited by a single color head alone . Example : For a single extruder thru a .4mm nozzle , lets pick a number like 24 pulses per mm moved . If 2 colors are being printed at the same time , each color head would have its pulse train divided by 2 to get the same amount of combined material or 12 pulses per mm each . If 3 colors are being printed , each extruder motor would be divided by 3 for each head ; or 8 pulses per mm each .

The hardware is easy for this engineer . Software / Firmware is not as much . Trying to wrap my head around PYTHON which is what FreeCad is coded in . Lotsa homework to do to get to the color handling and Gcode interpreter routines . HELP ! Thanx for the input fellas .