Twisty problem with scad-utils "sweep"

33 messages Options
Twisty problem with scad-utils "sweep" – I'm trying to use scad-utils and the "sweep" module to make some cool math objects, but I am having a problem with things getting surpri...
Hi Laura, I didn’t see any attachments, but I assume you’re having similar symptoms as with the sweep-path demo: https://github.com/openscad/l...
Sorry, I forgot to attach the pictures! Here is what I'm running into:
On Sep 25, 2014, at 20:57 PM, Laura Taalman <laurataalman@...> wrote: > Sorry, I forgot to attach the pictures! Here is what I'm run...
Hi Laura, There is a bug in the construct_transform_path function. Can you try the following replacement? function construct_torsion_minimiz...
Wow, thank you Oskar. I replaced the code for construct_transform_path with the three pieces of code you included. However I get this error when I...
Oops, must remember to test code before posting... Try this (also untested(!)): function construct_torsion_minimizing_rotations(tangents) =...
On Sep 26, 2014, at 12:02 PM, Laura Taalman <laurataalman@...> wrote: > WARNING: Ignoring unknown function 'torsion_minimizing_rotat...
YES! This worked, even for very low step size. The result is beautifully smooth, at least for the simpler model that was based on a function equat...
Actually, I spoke too soon. The screen output for both F5 and F6 look great, but when I then try to export to STL, then OpenSCAD crashes. Any advi...
That is most likely due to self-intersecting geometry. I'd try dividing the shape into non-intersecting segments and union() them together. ...
Thank you, Oskar. I thought that might be the case, but not sure how to split this object to avoid it. Will think about that. Thanks for your very...
Here is a start. It will not give a perfect result however. segments = round(1/step); parts = 7; partsize = ceil(segments/parts); for (par...
On Sep 29, 2014, at 16:11 PM, Laura Taalman <laurataalman@...> wrote: > […] then OpenSCAD crashes. Any advice would be appreciated; ...
The code I am using is below. F5 works fine, as does F6. But File/Export/Export as STL lets me choose where to save the file and then immediately ...
Thank you again, Oskar. I'll look into this option also, if I can't get the crash to stop.
On Sep 29, 2014, at 16:27 PM, Oskar <oskar.linde+openscad@...> wrote: > That is most likely due to self-intersecting geometry. I'd try...
On Sep 30, 2014, at 14:06 PM, Laura Taalman <laurataalman@...> wrote: > Thank you again, Oskar. I'll look into this option also, if I ...
Thanks! I tried the fast-fix but I still have the crashing problem even with the "true" changed to "false" or removed. I'm ...
On Sep 30, 2014, at 16:05 PM, Laura Taalman <laurataalman@...> wrote: > I tried the fast-fix but I still have the crashing problem e...
Is there a way to get a "bad" mesh to output? Because I can do a lot of mesh-fixing in MeshLab afterwards - remove self-intersecting fac...
On Sep 30, 2014, at 16:58 PM, Laura Taalman <laurataalman@...> wrote: > Is there a way to get a "bad" mesh to output? Becaus...
Laura: Please follow this issue: https://github.com/openscad/openscad/issues/964 -Marius _______________________________________________ O...
The new OpenSCAD export to a "bad" file worked wonderfully! In fact, weirdly I did not have to do anything to this file for it to be pri...
Hello again, I don't know if it is the new-new update or if this happened before, but I'm now getting one twisty place right at the end of the ...
On Oct 8, 2014, at 09:52 AM, Laura Taalman <laurataalman@...> wrote: > I don't know if it is the new-new update or if this happened be...
Hi Laura, Maybe you could try the following modified version of construct_transform_path(): // Calculates the relative torsion along the...
Thank you, that worked perfectly! (I did have to change one "torsion_minimizing_rotations" to "construct_torsion_minimizing_rota...
On Oct 10, 2014, at 09:56 AM, Laura Taalman <laurataalman@...> wrote: > > The files are working now and I'm testing a print on the ...
Here is the picture of the successful print:
But... now there is one other thing. I also want to make "sweep" objects from data, and sometimes I have 10K points of data. At exactly ...
On Oct 10, 2014, at 11:19 AM, Laura Taalman <laurataalman@...> wrote: > But... now there is one other thing. I also want to make &qu...
One day I should fix issue #782 that is blocking my tail recursion implementation. In the meantime, here is an ugly and very inefficient worka...