Tips for OpenSCAD on Windows 7

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tips for OpenSCAD on Windows 7

DanS
I having issues running OpenSCAD on Windows 7.

The problems are OS caused and I want to get some "happy ballance".

I am doing stuff that seems to be calculation intensive but Windows goes to sleep and nothing is done during sleep.

I know I can set the computer to "never sleep" but I'm wondering if there is some better middle ground like "if application/process X is running let it have what it wants"  By that I mean the OS could turn the screen off (I don't need a display while it is calculating) and if it isn't swapping to disk let the disk spin down to an idle.

What do other people on Windows do?  I would prefer to garner some power savings by letting some resources go idle.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tips for OpenSCAD on Windows 7

MichaelAtOz
Administrator
DanS wrote
"if application/process X is running let it have what it wants"
Probably but it would not be straight forward.
By that I mean the OS could turn the screen off (I don't need a display while it is calculating) and if it isn't swapping to disk let the disk spin down to an idle.
'Control Panel/Power Options/Change Plan Settings/Change Advanced Power Options' lets you set individual options for hard disc, display, sleep and other things.
I don't have much power saving ATM, but I tend to do display off first, disc off shortly thereafter, sleep a lot later (but off if I'm in a process heavy state). ATM, I manually hibernate via the start menu when I'm not going to use it. (tho hibernate v's sleep is due to a error waking from sleep, but hibernate saves  more power)
Admin - email* me if you need anything,
or if I've done something stupid...
* click on my MichaelAtOz label, there is a link to email me.

Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work.
Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.

The TPP is no simple “trade agreement.” Fight it! http://www.ourfairdeal.org/ time is running out!