Saxophone flared bell tube, curved and graduated, how to model it?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Saxophone flared bell tube, curved and graduated, how to model it?

Kenneth Beesley
Relative beginner question:  Saxophone flared bell tube, curved and graduated, how to model it?

I'm trying to model a saxophone bell, which has a bore (hole) that flares from beginning to end over a range of angles.  For the time being, I'm assuming that
1.  The bore is circular, so some kind of extruded circle would be appropriate
2.  But the bore flares (increases in diameter) exponentially from beginning to end (it should be possible to specify the diameter of each "section" as a function of the angle)
3.  The center of the bore rotates around a radius

4.  Also, I'm assuming that one would first model the bore as a kind of solid curved graduated cylinder, and then model a larger-diameter "shell" as another solid curved graduated cylinder (on the same radius), and then just subtract/difference the bore from the shell to get a curved graduated tube (like a saxophone bell).  The walls of the tube should be the same thickness throughout the result.

I'm a beginner, but I have some acquaintance with linear_extrude and rotate_extrude.  rotate_extrude would seem to be perfect IF it offered (like linear_extrude) the possibility of specifying the scale as an interpolated function.  I also just looked at ring_extrude, which seems promising, except that the shape to be extruded must be specified as a vector of points---it would be nice if one could simply extrude a simple circle.

Are there any available functions that might help me model a saxophone bell?  Is there any better way to go about it?
Thanks,  Ken

Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.
PO Box 540475
North Salt Lake UT 84054
USA

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Saxophone flared bell tube, curved and graduated, how to model it?

ClintGoss
You may be interested in the Breath Flute project ... BreathFlute.com.

The bottom of the flue (windway) was initially modeled after various 19th century recorders for which I have good measurements (available on-line). After mulling over these, I found that there was a suitable function based on ArcTAN() that fit those measurements quite well. So I created a curve and rotated it around the bore of the instrument.

The Breath Flute project is open-source, so you can download the code and find the appropriate section (I don't recall the details at the moment). There is also a massive Developer's Guide, which I think has details of how that was done ...

-- Clint Goss

FluteCast.com ... direct links to Native American flute resources

Goss.com  ... index of all our web sites

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 2:03 PM Kenneth Beesley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Relative beginner question:  Saxophone flared bell tube, curved and graduated, how to model it?

I'm trying to model a saxophone bell, which has a bore (hole) that flares from beginning to end over a range of angles.  For the time being, I'm assuming that
1.  The bore is circular, so some kind of extruded circle would be appropriate
2.  But the bore flares (increases in diameter) exponentially from beginning to end (it should be possible to specify the diameter of each "section" as a function of the angle)
3.  The center of the bore rotates around a radius

4.  Also, I'm assuming that one would first model the bore as a kind of solid curved graduated cylinder, and then model a larger-diameter "shell" as another solid curved graduated cylinder (on the same radius), and then just subtract/difference the bore from the shell to get a curved graduated tube (like a saxophone bell).  The walls of the tube should be the same thickness throughout the result.

I'm a beginner, but I have some acquaintance with linear_extrude and rotate_extrude.  rotate_extrude would seem to be perfect IF it offered (like linear_extrude) the possibility of specifying the scale as an interpolated function.  I also just looked at ring_extrude, which seems promising, except that the shape to be extruded must be specified as a vector of points---it would be nice if one could simply extrude a simple circle.

Are there any available functions that might help me model a saxophone bell?  Is there any better way to go about it?
Thanks,  Ken

PO Box 540475
North Salt Lake UT 84054
USA

-- Clint Goss <clint@goss.com>
Reply | Threaded
|

Kenneth Beesley
Many thanks for the pointer.

Ken

On 3Dec2019, at 12:08, Clint Goss <[hidden email]> wrote:

You may be interested in the Breath Flute project ... BreathFlute.com.

The bottom of the flue (windway) was initially modeled after various 19th century recorders for which I have good measurements (available on-line). After mulling over these, I found that there was a suitable function based on ArcTAN() that fit those measurements quite well. So I created a curve and rotated it around the bore of the instrument.

The Breath Flute project is open-source, so you can download the code and find the appropriate section (I don't recall the details at the moment). There is also a massive Developer's Guide, which I think has details of how that was done ...

-- Clint Goss

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 2:03 PM Kenneth Beesley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Relative beginner question:  Saxophone flared bell tube, curved and graduated, how to model it?

I'm trying to model a saxophone bell, which has a bore (hole) that flares from beginning to end over a range of angles.  For the time being, I'm assuming that
2.  But the bore flares (increases in diameter) exponentially from beginning to end (it should be possible to specify the diameter of each "section" as a function of the angle)

4.  Also, I'm assuming that one would first model the bore as a kind of solid curved graduated cylinder, and then model a larger-diameter "shell" as another solid curved graduated cylinder (on the same radius), and then just subtract/difference the bore from the shell to get a curved graduated tube (like a saxophone bell).  The walls of the tube should be the same thickness throughout the result.

I'm a beginner, but I have some acquaintance with linear_extrude and rotate_extrude.  rotate_extrude would seem to be perfect IF it offered (like linear_extrude) the possibility of specifying the scale as an interpolated function.  I also just looked at ring_extrude, which seems promising, except that the shape to be extruded must be specified as a vector of points---it would be nice if one could simply extrude a simple circle.

Are there any available functions that might help me model a saxophone bell?  Is there any better way to go about it?
Thanks,  Ken

PO Box 540475
North Salt Lake UT 84054
USA

PO Box 540475
North Salt Lake UT 84054
USA

Reply | Threaded
|

acwest
In reply to this post by Kenneth Beesley
I believe that a saxophone, of the majority of it's length, is linear,
and only goes non-linear at the very end of the bell

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 2:02 PM Kenneth Beesley <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Relative beginner question:  Saxophone flared bell tube, curved and graduated, how to model it?
>
> I'm trying to model a saxophone bell, which has a bore (hole) that flares from beginning to end over a range of angles.  For the time being, I'm assuming that
> 1.  The bore is circular, so some kind of extruded circle would be appropriate
> 2.  But the bore flares (increases in diameter) exponentially from beginning to end (it should be possible to specify the diameter of each "section" as a function of the angle)
> 3.  The center of the bore rotates around a radius
>
> 4.  Also, I'm assuming that one would first model the bore as a kind of solid curved graduated cylinder, and then model a larger-diameter "shell" as another solid curved graduated cylinder (on the same radius), and then just subtract/difference the bore from the shell to get a curved graduated tube (like a saxophone bell).  The walls of the tube should be the same thickness throughout the result.
>
> I'm a beginner, but I have some acquaintance with linear_extrude and rotate_extrude.  rotate_extrude would seem to be perfect IF it offered (like linear_extrude) the possibility of specifying the scale as an interpolated function.  I also just looked at ring_extrude, which seems promising, except that the shape to be extruded must be specified as a vector of points---it would be nice if one could simply extrude a simple circle.
>
> Are there any available functions that might help me model a saxophone bell?  Is there any better way to go about it?
> Thanks,  Ken
>
> *******************************
> Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.
> PO Box 540475
> North Salt Lake UT 84054
> USA
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org

Reply | Threaded
|

Kenneth Beesley
Thanks for the reply.  Yes, the neck, body, bow, and perhaps part of the bell, graduate in bore diameter
pretty linearly, but the bell flares non-linearly.  I’m doing some measurements now, and hope to
be able to discover the formula that describes the flaring.

I’ve cobbled together my own method of modeling curved, graduated tubes, essentially by unioning
a lot of cylindrical disks together, each one increasing a bit in size from the previous one.  I was hoping that 
there might be something like rotate_extrude, but with the possibility of designating the scaling as
an interpolated function.

Best,

Ken

On 3Dec2019, at 12:12, A. Craig West <[hidden email]> wrote:

Relative beginner question:  Saxophone flared bell tube, curved and graduated, how to model it?

I'm trying to model a saxophone bell, which has a bore (hole) that flares from beginning to end over a range of angles.  For the time being, I'm assuming that
1.  The bore is circular, so some kind of extruded circle would be appropriate
2.  But the bore flares (increases in diameter) exponentially from beginning to end (it should be possible to specify the diameter of each "section" as a function of the angle)
3.  The center of the bore rotates around a radius

4.  Also, I'm assuming that one would first model the bore as a kind of solid curved graduated cylinder, and then model a larger-diameter "shell" as another solid curved graduated cylinder (on the same radius), and then just subtract/difference the bore from the shell to get a curved graduated tube (like a saxophone bell).  The walls of the tube should be the same thickness throughout the result.

I'm a beginner, but I have some acquaintance with linear_extrude and rotate_extrude.  rotate_extrude would seem to be perfect IF it offered (like linear_extrude) the possibility of specifying the scale as an interpolated function.  I also just looked at ring_extrude, which seems promising, except that the shape to be extruded must be specified as a vector of points---it would be nice if one could simply extrude a simple circle.

Are there any available functions that might help me model a saxophone bell?  Is there any better way to go about it?
Thanks,  Ken

PO Box 540475
North Salt Lake UT 84054
USA

PO Box 540475
North Salt Lake UT 84054
USA

Reply | Threaded
|

acwest
I did write a method of extruding a polygon along a bezier path, that could probably be slightly modified for non-linear scaling. I've been meaning to put the code into shape to be posted publicly... 

On Tue, 3 Dec 2019, 14:26 Kenneth Beesley, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the reply.  Yes, the neck, body, bow, and perhaps part of the bell, graduate in bore diameter
pretty linearly, but the bell flares non-linearly.  I’m doing some measurements now, and hope to

I’ve cobbled together my own method of modeling curved, graduated tubes, essentially by unioning
a lot of cylindrical disks together, each one increasing a bit in size from the previous one.  I was hoping that 
there might be something like rotate_extrude, but with the possibility of designating the scaling as

Best,

Ken

I'm a beginner, but I have some acquaintance with linear_extrude and rotate_extrude.  rotate_extrude would seem to be perfect IF it offered (like linear_extrude) the possibility of specifying the scale as an interpolated function.  I also just looked at ring_extrude, which seems promising, except that the shape to be extruded must be specified as a vector of points---it would be nice if one could simply extrude a simple circle.

Thanks,  Ken

PO Box 540475
North Salt Lake UT 84054
USA

PO Box 540475
North Salt Lake UT 84054
USA

Reply | Threaded
|

Kenneth Beesley
Please keep me informed if your code gets posted.

Thanks,

Ken

On 3Dec2019, at 12:52, A. Craig West <[hidden email]> wrote:

I did write a method of extruding a polygon along a bezier path, that could probably be slightly modified for non-linear scaling. I've been meaning to put the code into shape to be posted publicly... 

On Tue, 3 Dec 2019, 14:26 Kenneth Beesley, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the reply.  Yes, the neck, body, bow, and perhaps part of the bell, graduate in bore diameter
pretty linearly, but the bell flares non-linearly.  I’m doing some measurements now, and hope to

a lot of cylindrical disks together, each one increasing a bit in size from the previous one.  I was hoping that 

Best,

Ken

I'm a beginner, but I have some acquaintance with linear_extrude and rotate_extrude.  rotate_extrude would seem to be perfect IF it offered (like linear_extrude) the possibility of specifying the scale as an interpolated function.  I also just looked at ring_extrude, which seems promising, except that the shape to be extruded must be specified as a vector of points---it would be nice if one could simply extrude a simple circle.

Thanks,  Ken

PO Box 540475
North Salt Lake UT 84054
USA

PO Box 540475
North Salt Lake UT 84054
USA

PO Box 540475
North Salt Lake UT 84054
USA

Reply | Threaded
|

JordanBrown
The advent calendar ( https://www.openscad.org/advent-calendar-2019/ ) has a candlestick ( https://files.openscad.org/advent-calendar-2019/01.scad ) that shows a technique for rotate_extrude of a shape derived from a function.

It would be a little trickier to derive the coordinates for the inside of the shape.  It seems like you could take a curve's coordinates, offset by epsilon in one direction or another, reverse it, combine to form a very skinny curved polygon, then offset to form your final shape.

Here's the basic idea.  I haven't tried to figure out the function you would want.

$fa = 5;
$fs = 0.1;

function f(x) = log(x)*3;

minx = 2;
maxx = 5;
step = 0.1;
thickness = 0.5;
epsilon=0.001;

points = [
    for (x = [minx:step:maxx]) [ x, f(x) ],
    for (x = [maxx:-step:minx]) [ x+epsilon, f(x) ],
];

color("brown") rotate_extrude() offset(thickness/2) polygon(points);

Reply | Threaded
|

JordanBrown
On 12/3/2019 1:40 PM, Jordan Brown wrote:
It would be a little trickier to derive the coordinates for the inside of the shape.  It seems like you could take a curve's coordinates, offset by epsilon in one direction or another, reverse it, combine to form a very skinny curved polygon, then offset to form your final shape.

Going back to the discussion of one-dimensional geometry, it would be useful to be able to offset( ) a sequence of line segments, inflating them to 2D.

(Perhaps a sequence of connected line segments is 1.5D.)

Reply | Threaded
|

adrianv
The list-comprehensions-demo library has a very general sweep command that
will connect a series of polygons with arbitrary transformations (scalings
and translations).  There's also a skin operator that connects a set of
polygons.  

https://github.com/RonaldoCMP/list-comprehension-demos

BOSL (and BOSL2) have extrusion of a shape along a path or bezier, and also
a skin operator.  
https://github.com/revarbat/BOSL2/wiki

I think the dotSCAD library also supports some form of extrusion along a
path.  
https://github.com/JustinSDK/dotSCAD

Note that all of these operations are based on a list of points.  OpenSCAD
doesn't allow user functions to access geometry, so it is impossible to
write functions like that that use geometry directly.  

Kenneth Beesley wrote
> Please keep me informed if your code gets posted.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken
>
>> On 3Dec2019, at 12:52, A. Craig West &lt;

> acraigwest@

> &gt; wrote:
>>
>> I did write a method of extruding a polygon along a bezier path, that
>> could probably be slightly modified for non-linear scaling. I've been
>> meaning to put the code into shape to be posted publicly...
>>
>> On Tue, 3 Dec 2019, 14:26 Kenneth Beesley, &lt;

> krbeesley@

>  &lt;mailto:

> krbeesley@

> &gt;> wrote:
>> Thanks for the reply.  Yes, the neck, body, bow, and perhaps part of the
>> bell, graduate in bore diameter
>> pretty linearly, but the bell flares non-linearly.  I’m doing some
>> measurements now, and hope to
>> be able to discover the formula that describes the flaring.
>>
>> I’ve cobbled together my own method of modeling curved, graduated tubes,
>> essentially by unioning
>> a lot of cylindrical disks together, each one increasing a bit in size
>> from the previous one.  I was hoping that
>> there might be something like rotate_extrude, but with the possibility of
>> designating the scaling as
>> an interpolated function.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Ken
>>
>>> On 3Dec2019, at 12:12, A. Craig West &lt;

> acraigwest@

>  &lt;mailto:

> acraigwest@

> &gt;> wrote:
>>>
>>> I believe that a saxophone, of the majority of it's length, is linear,
>>> and only goes non-linear at the very end of the bell
>>>
>>> On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 2:02 PM Kenneth Beesley &lt;

> krbeesley@

>  &lt;mailto:

> krbeesley@

> &gt;> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Relative beginner question:  Saxophone flared bell tube, curved and
>>>> graduated, how to model it?
>>>>
>>>> I'm trying to model a saxophone bell, which has a bore (hole) that
>>>> flares from beginning to end over a range of angles.  For the time
>>>> being, I'm assuming that
>>>> 1.  The bore is circular, so some kind of extruded circle would be
>>>> appropriate
>>>> 2.  But the bore flares (increases in diameter) exponentially from
>>>> beginning to end (it should be possible to specify the diameter of each
>>>> "section" as a function of the angle)
>>>> 3.  The center of the bore rotates around a radius
>>>>
>>>> 4.  Also, I'm assuming that one would first model the bore as a kind of
>>>> solid curved graduated cylinder, and then model a larger-diameter
>>>> "shell" as another solid curved graduated cylinder (on the same
>>>> radius), and then just subtract/difference the bore from the shell to
>>>> get a curved graduated tube (like a saxophone bell).  The walls of the
>>>> tube should be the same thickness throughout the result.
>>>>
>>>> I'm a beginner, but I have some acquaintance with linear_extrude and
>>>> rotate_extrude.  rotate_extrude would seem to be perfect IF it offered
>>>> (like linear_extrude) the possibility of specifying the scale as an
>>>> interpolated function.  I also just looked at ring_extrude, which seems
>>>> promising, except that the shape to be extruded must be specified as a
>>>> vector of points---it would be nice if one could simply extrude a
>>>> simple circle.
>>>>
>>>> Are there any available functions that might help me model a saxophone
>>>> bell?  Is there any better way to go about it?
>>>> Thanks,  Ken
>>>>
>>>> *******************************
>>>> Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.
>>>> PO Box 540475
>>>> North Salt Lake UT 84054
>>>> USA
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> OpenSCAD mailing list
>>>>

> Discuss@.openscad

>  &lt;mailto:

> Discuss@.openscad

> &gt;
>>>> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
>>>> &lt;http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org&gt;
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> OpenSCAD mailing list
>>>

> Discuss@.openscad

>  &lt;mailto:

> Discuss@.openscad

> &gt;
>>> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
>>> &lt;http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org&gt;
>>
>>
>> *******************************
>> Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.
>> PO Box 540475
>> North Salt Lake UT 84054
>> USA
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> OpenSCAD mailing list
>>

> Discuss@.openscad

>  &lt;mailto:

> Discuss@.openscad

> &gt;
>> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
>> &lt;http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org&gt;
>> _______________________________________________
>> OpenSCAD mailing list
>>

> Discuss@.openscad

>> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
>
>
> *******************************
> Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.
> PO Box 540475
> North Salt Lake UT 84054
> USA
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> OpenSCAD mailing list

> Discuss@.openscad

--
Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/

Reply | Threaded
|

cgriffith
Reply | Threaded
|

Leea
In reply to this post by ClintGoss
I went to breathflute and downloaded the project. I found a file
bflute_079.scad that seems like it should be it but I get an error at
line 5697 and have no idea how to   fix it. So I can't look at it or
print it.

Lee

On 12/3/2019 1:08 PM, Clint Goss wrote:

> You may be interested in the Breath Flute project ... BreathFlute.com.
>
> The bottom of the flue (windway) was initially modeled after various
> 19th century recorders for which I have good measurements (available
> on-line). After mulling over these, I found that there was a suitable
> function based on ArcTAN() that fit those measurements quite well. So
> I created a curve and rotated it around the bore of the instrument.
>
> The Breath Flute project is open-source, so you can download the code
> and find the appropriate section (I don't recall the details at the
> moment). There is also a massive Developer's Guide, which I think has
> details of how that was done ...
>
> -- Clint Goss
>
> FluteCast.com <http://FluteCast.com> ... direct links to Native
> American flute resources
>
> Goss.com <http://www.goss.com/>  ... index of all our web sites
>
>
>
> On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 2:03 PM Kenneth Beesley <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Relative beginner question:  Saxophone flared bell tube, curved
>     and graduated, how to model it?
>
>     I'm trying to model a saxophone bell, which has a bore (hole) that
>     flares from beginning to end over a range of angles.  For the time
>     being, I'm assuming that
>     1.  The bore is circular, so some kind of extruded circle would be
>     appropriate
>     2.  But the bore flares (increases in diameter) exponentially from
>     beginning to end (it should be possible to specify the diameter of
>     each "section" as a function of the angle)
>     3.  The center of the bore rotates around a radius
>
>     4.  Also, I'm assuming that one would first model the bore as a
>     kind of solid curved graduated cylinder, and then model a
>     larger-diameter "shell" as another solid curved graduated cylinder
>     (on the same radius), and then just subtract/difference the bore
>     from the shell to get a curved graduated tube (like a saxophone
>     bell).  The walls of the tube should be the same thickness
>     throughout the result.
>
>     I'm a beginner, but I have some acquaintance with linear_extrude
>     and rotate_extrude.  rotate_extrude would seem to be perfect IF it
>     offered (like linear_extrude) the possibility of specifying the
>     scale as an interpolated function.  I also just looked at
>     ring_extrude, which seems promising, except that the shape to be
>     extruded must be specified as a vector of points---it would be
>     nice if one could simply extrude a simple circle.
>
>     Are there any available functions that might help me model a
>     saxophone bell?  Is there any better way to go about it?
>     Thanks,  Ken
>
>     *******************************
>     Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.
>     PO Box 540475
>     North Salt Lake UT 84054
>     USA
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>     _______________________________________________
>     OpenSCAD mailing list
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
>
>
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: ***SPAM*** Re: Saxophone flared bell tube, curved and graduated, how to model it?

ClintGoss
The offending line is the fourth line - the polygon() - in this snippet:

color (SoundChamberColor) {
    rotate_extrude (convexity = 10, $fn=fnSoundChamberDist) {
      translate ([SoundChamberProx_ID/2, MorticeLength, 0]) {
        polygon (points = MorticeChamferPoly_Angle, $fn=fnSoundChamberDist);
      }
    }
  }

... and I don't offhand know what would be the issue ... unless

What OpenSCAD version are you running? The Breath Flute runs under version [2015, 3, 0]

Also ... why can't you view the code? In my setup, the code opens in the editor and does not render until requested ...

-- Clint Goss

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 2:24 PM Lee A <[hidden email]> wrote:
I went to breathflute and downloaded the project. I found a file
bflute_079.scad that seems like it should be it but I get an error at
line 5697 and have no idea how to   fix it. So I can't look at it or
print it.

Lee

On 12/3/2019 1:08 PM, Clint Goss wrote:
> You may be interested in the Breath Flute project ... BreathFlute.com.
>
> The bottom of the flue (windway) was initially modeled after various
> 19th century recorders for which I have good measurements (available
> on-line). After mulling over these, I found that there was a suitable
> function based on ArcTAN() that fit those measurements quite well. So
> I created a curve and rotated it around the bore of the instrument.
>
> The Breath Flute project is open-source, so you can download the code
> and find the appropriate section (I don't recall the details at the
> moment). There is also a massive Developer's Guide, which I think has
> details of how that was done ...
>
> -- Clint Goss
>
>
>
>
>
> On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 2:03 PM Kenneth Beesley <[hidden email]
>
>     Relative beginner question:  Saxophone flared bell tube, curved
>     and graduated, how to model it?
>
>     I'm trying to model a saxophone bell, which has a bore (hole) that
>     flares from beginning to end over a range of angles.  For the time
>     being, I'm assuming that
>     1.  The bore is circular, so some kind of extruded circle would be
>     appropriate
>     2.  But the bore flares (increases in diameter) exponentially from
>     beginning to end (it should be possible to specify the diameter of
>     each "section" as a function of the angle)
>     3.  The center of the bore rotates around a radius
>
>     4.  Also, I'm assuming that one would first model the bore as a
>     kind of solid curved graduated cylinder, and then model a
>     larger-diameter "shell" as another solid curved graduated cylinder
>     (on the same radius), and then just subtract/difference the bore
>     from the shell to get a curved graduated tube (like a saxophone
>     bell).  The walls of the tube should be the same thickness
>     throughout the result.
>
>     I'm a beginner, but I have some acquaintance with linear_extrude
>     and rotate_extrude.  rotate_extrude would seem to be perfect IF it
>     offered (like linear_extrude) the possibility of specifying the
>     scale as an interpolated function.  I also just looked at
>     ring_extrude, which seems promising, except that the shape to be
>     extruded must be specified as a vector of points---it would be
>     nice if one could simply extrude a simple circle.
>
>     Are there any available functions that might help me model a
>     saxophone bell?  Is there any better way to go about it?
>     Thanks,  Ken
>
>     *******************************
>     Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.
>     PO Box 540475
>     North Salt Lake UT 84054
>     USA
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>     _______________________________________________
>     OpenSCAD mailing list
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
>
>
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]

-- Clint Goss <clint@goss.com>
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: ***SPAM*** Re: Saxophone flared bell tube, curved and graduated, how to model it?

Leea
Ignore my error comment. I missed copying some files. I can see the
code, just not the object.
I am version 2019.05
I think I got it to display but any time I try to rotate or move or zoom
it takes minutes for the software to reposition it so I moved it off the
screen and can't get it centered again. I didn't think my computer was
that slow but maybe it is, an iMac.
It appears that the object is not on the plate but elevated above it.
And there are artifacts on the plate. I would like to play with it but
maybe have to find another computer somewhere.

Lee

On 12/6/2019 1:39 PM, Clint Goss wrote:

> The offending line is the fourth line - the polygon() - in this snippet:
>
>  color (SoundChamberColor) {
>     rotate_extrude (convexity = 10, $fn=fnSoundChamberDist) {
>       translate ([SoundChamberProx_ID/2, MorticeLength, 0]) {
>         polygon (points = MorticeChamferPoly_Angle,
> $fn=fnSoundChamberDist);
>       }
>     }
>   }
>
> ... and I don't offhand know what would be the issue ... unless
>
> What OpenSCAD version are you running? The Breath Flute runs under
> version [2015, 3, 0]
> Also ... why can't you view the code? In my setup, the code opens in
> the editor and does not render until requested ...
>
> -- Clint Goss
>
>
>
>
>
> On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 2:24 PM Lee A <[hidden email]
>
>     I went to breathflute and downloaded the project. I found a file
>     bflute_079.scad that seems like it should be it but I get an error at
>     line 5697 and have no idea how to   fix it. So I can't look at it or
>     print it.
>
>     Lee
>
>     On 12/3/2019 1:08 PM, Clint Goss wrote:
>     > You may be interested in the Breath Flute project ...
>     BreathFlute.com.
>     >
>     > The bottom of the flue (windway) was initially modeled after
>     various
>     > 19th century recorders for which I have good measurements
>     (available
>     > on-line). After mulling over these, I found that there was a
>     suitable
>     > function based on ArcTAN() that fit those measurements
>     quite well. So
>     > I created a curve and rotated it around the bore of the instrument.
>     >
>     > The Breath Flute project is open-source, so you can download the
>     code
>     > and find the appropriate section (I don't recall the details at the
>     > moment). There is also a massive Developer's Guide, which I
>     think has
>     > details of how that was done ...
>     >
>     > -- Clint Goss
>     >
>     > FluteCast.com <http://FluteCast.com> ... direct links to Native
>     > American flute resources
>     >
>     > Goss.com <http://www.goss.com/> ... index of all our web sites
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 2:03 PM Kenneth Beesley
>     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     Relative beginner question:  Saxophone flared bell tube, curved
>     >     and graduated, how to model it?
>     >
>     >     I'm trying to model a saxophone bell, which has a bore
>     (hole) that
>     >     flares from beginning to end over a range of angles. For the
>     time
>     >     being, I'm assuming that
>     >     1.  The bore is circular, so some kind of extruded circle
>     would be
>     >     appropriate
>     >     2.  But the bore flares (increases in diameter)
>     exponentially from
>     >     beginning to end (it should be possible to specify the
>     diameter of
>     >     each "section" as a function of the angle)
>     >     3.  The center of the bore rotates around a radius
>     >
>     >     4.  Also, I'm assuming that one would first model the bore as a
>     >     kind of solid curved graduated cylinder, and then model a
>     >     larger-diameter "shell" as another solid curved graduated
>     cylinder
>     >     (on the same radius), and then just subtract/difference the bore
>     >     from the shell to get a curved graduated tube (like a saxophone
>     >     bell).  The walls of the tube should be the same thickness
>     >     throughout the result.
>     >
>     >     I'm a beginner, but I have some acquaintance with linear_extrude
>     >     and rotate_extrude.  rotate_extrude would seem to be perfect
>     IF it
>     >     offered (like linear_extrude) the possibility of specifying the
>     >     scale as an interpolated function.  I also just looked at
>     >     ring_extrude, which seems promising, except that the shape to be
>     >     extruded must be specified as a vector of points---it would be
>     >     nice if one could simply extrude a simple circle.
>     >
>     >     Are there any available functions that might help me model a
>     >     saxophone bell?  Is there any better way to go about it?
>     >     Thanks,  Ken
>     >
>     >     *******************************
>     >     Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.
>     >     PO Box 540475
>     >     North Salt Lake UT 84054
>     >     USA
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >     _______________________________________________
>     >     OpenSCAD mailing list
>     > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > _______________________________________________
>     > OpenSCAD mailing list
>     > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     >
>
>
>     _______________________________________________
>     OpenSCAD mailing list
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
>
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
|

MichaelAtOz'

> so I moved it off the

> screen and can't get it centered again.

Try these two buttons

> -----Original Message-----

> From: Discuss [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Lee A

> Sent: Sat, 7 Dec 2019 10:26

> To: [hidden email]

> Subject: Re: [OpenSCAD] ***SPAM*** Re: Saxophone flared bell tube, curved and graduated, how to

> model it?

>

> Ignore my error comment. I missed copying some files. I can see the

> code, just not the object.

> I am version 2019.05

> I think I got it to display but any time I try to rotate or move or zoom

> it takes minutes for the software to reposition it so I moved it off the

> screen and can't get it centered again. I didn't think my computer was

> that slow but maybe it is, an iMac.

> It appears that the object is not on the plate but elevated above it.

> And there are artifacts on the plate. I would like to play with it but

> maybe have to find another computer somewhere.

>

> Lee

>

> On 12/6/2019 1:39 PM, Clint Goss wrote:

> > The offending line is the fourth line - the polygon() - in this snippet:

> >

> >  color (SoundChamberColor) {

> >     rotate_extrude (convexity = 10, $fn=fnSoundChamberDist) {

> >       translate ([SoundChamberProx_ID/2, MorticeLength, 0]) {

> >         polygon (points = MorticeChamferPoly_Angle,

> > $fn=fnSoundChamberDist);

> >       }

> >     }

> >   }

> >

> > ... and I don't offhand know what would be the issue ... unless

> >

> > What OpenSCAD version are you running? The Breath Flute runs under

> > version [2015, 3, 0]

> > Also ... why can't you view the code? In my setup, the code opens in

> > the editor and does not render until requested ...

> >

> > -- Clint Goss

> >

> > FluteCast.com <http://FluteCast.com> ... direct links to Native

> > American flute resources

> >

> > Goss.com <http://www.goss.com/>  ... index of all our web sites

> >

> >

> >

> > On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 2:24 PM Lee A <[hidden email]

> > <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

> >

> >     I went to breathflute and downloaded the project. I found a file

> >     bflute_079.scad that seems like it should be it but I get an error at

> >     line 5697 and have no idea how to   fix it. So I can't look at it or

> >     print it.

> >

> >     Lee

> >

> >     On 12/3/2019 1:08 PM, Clint Goss wrote:

> >     > You may be interested in the Breath Flute project ...

> >     BreathFlute.com.

> >     >

> >     > The bottom of the flue (windway) was initially modeled after

> >     various

> >     > 19th century recorders for which I have good measurements

> >     (available

> >     > on-line). After mulling over these, I found that there was a

> >     suitable

> >     > function based on ArcTAN() that fit those measurements

> >     quite well. So

> >     > I created a curve and rotated it around the bore of the instrument.

> >     >

> >     > The Breath Flute project is open-source, so you can download the

> >     code

> >     > and find the appropriate section (I don't recall the details at the

> >     > moment). There is also a massive Developer's Guide, which I

> >     think has

> >     > details of how that was done ...

> >     >

> >     > -- Clint Goss

> >     >

> >     > FluteCast.com <http://FluteCast.com> ... direct links to Native

> >     > American flute resources

> >     >

> >     > Goss.com <http://www.goss.com/> ... index of all our web sites

> >     >

> >     >

> >     >

> >     > On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 2:03 PM Kenneth Beesley

> >     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

> >     > <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:

> >     >

> >     >     Relative beginner question:  Saxophone flared bell tube, curved

> >     >     and graduated, how to model it?

> >     >

> >     >     I'm trying to model a saxophone bell, which has a bore

> >     (hole) that

> >     >     flares from beginning to end over a range of angles. For the

> >     time

> >     >     being, I'm assuming that

> >     >     1.  The bore is circular, so some kind of extruded circle

> >     would be

> >     >     appropriate

> >     >     2.  But the bore flares (increases in diameter)

> >     exponentially from

> >     >     beginning to end (it should be possible to specify the

> >     diameter of

> >     >     each "section" as a function of the angle)

> >     >     3.  The center of the bore rotates around a radius

> >     >

> >     >     4.  Also, I'm assuming that one would first model the bore as a

> >     >     kind of solid curved graduated cylinder, and then model a

> >     >     larger-diameter "shell" as another solid curved graduated

> >     cylinder

> >     >     (on the same radius), and then just subtract/difference the bore

> >     >     from the shell to get a curved graduated tube (like a saxophone

> >     >     bell).  The walls of the tube should be the same thickness

> >     >     throughout the result.

> >     >

> >     >     I'm a beginner, but I have some acquaintance with linear_extrude

> >     >     and rotate_extrude.  rotate_extrude would seem to be perfect

> >     IF it

> >     >     offered (like linear_extrude) the possibility of specifying the

> >     >     scale as an interpolated function.  I also just looked at

> >     >     ring_extrude, which seems promising, except that the shape to be

> >     >     extruded must be specified as a vector of points---it would be

> >     >     nice if one could simply extrude a simple circle.

> >     >

> >     >     Are there any available functions that might help me model a

> >     >     saxophone bell?  Is there any better way to go about it?

> >     >     Thanks,  Ken

> >     >

> >     >     *******************************

> >     >     Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.

> >     >     PO Box 540475

> >     >     North Salt Lake UT 84054

> >     >     USA

> >     >

> >     >

> >     >

> >     >

> >     >

> >     >

> >     >

> >     >     _______________________________________________

> >     >     OpenSCAD mailing list

> >     > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

> >     <mailto:[hidden email]

> >     <mailto:[hidden email]>>

> >     >

> >     http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org

> >     >

> >     >

> >     > _______________________________________________

> >     > OpenSCAD mailing list

> >     > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

> >     >

> >

> >

> >     _______________________________________________

> >     OpenSCAD mailing list

> >     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

> >

> >

> > _______________________________________________

> > OpenSCAD mailing list

> > [hidden email]

> > http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org

>

>

> OpenSCAD mailing list

> [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
|

Leea
Thanks, I didn't know they did that.

Has anyone else looked at the files? I see too many STL files to figure
out which ones I would need. There seems to be duplicates with only a
numbering system to identify them. I can't figure out what to make.

Lee

On 12/6/2019 8:41 PM, Michael Marx wrote:

>
> > so I moved it off the
>
> > screen and can't get it centered again.
>
> Try these two buttons
>
> > -----Original Message-----
>
> > From: Discuss [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of
> Lee A
>
> > Sent: Sat, 7 Dec 2019 10:26
>
> > To: [hidden email]
>
> > Subject: Re: [OpenSCAD] ***SPAM*** Re: Saxophone flared bell tube,
> curved and graduated, how to
>
> > model it?
>
> >
>
> > Ignore my error comment. I missed copying some files. I can see the
>
> > code, just not the object.
>
> > I am version 2019.05
>
> > I think I got it to display but any time I try to rotate or move or zoom
>
> > it takes minutes for the software to reposition it so I moved it off the
>
> > screen and can't get it centered again. I didn't think my computer was
>
> > that slow but maybe it is, an iMac.
>
> > It appears that the object is not on the plate but elevated above it.
>
> > And there are artifacts on the plate. I would like to play with it but
>
> > maybe have to find another computer somewhere.
>
> >
>
> > Lee
>
> >
>
> > On 12/6/2019 1:39 PM, Clint Goss wrote:
>
> > > The offending line is the fourth line - the polygon() - in this snippet:
>
> > >
>
> > >  color (SoundChamberColor) {
>
> > >     rotate_extrude (convexity = 10, $fn=fnSoundChamberDist) {
>
> > >       translate ([SoundChamberProx_ID/2, MorticeLength, 0]) {
>
> > >         polygon (points = MorticeChamferPoly_Angle,
>
> > > $fn=fnSoundChamberDist);
>
> > >       }
>
> > >     }
>
> > >   }
>
> > >
>
> > > ... and I don't offhand know what would be the issue ... unless
>
> > >
>
> > > What OpenSCAD version are you running? The Breath Flute runs under
>
> > > version [2015, 3, 0]
>
> > > Also ... why can't you view the code? In my setup, the code opens in
>
> > > the editor and does not render until requested ...
>
> > >
>
> > > -- Clint Goss
>
> > >
>
> > > FluteCast.com <http://FluteCast.com> ... direct links to Native
>
> > > American flute resources
>
> > >
>
> > > Goss.com <http://www.goss.com/>  ... index of all our web sites
>
> > >
>
> > >
>
> > >
>
> > > On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 2:24 PM Lee A <[hidden email]
>
> > > <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> > >
>
> > >     I went to breathflute and downloaded the project. I found a file
>
> > >     bflute_079.scad that seems like it should be it but I get an error at
>
> > >     line 5697 and have no idea how to   fix it. So I can't look at it or
>
> > >     print it.
>
> > >
>
> > >     Lee
>
> > >
>
> > >     On 12/3/2019 1:08 PM, Clint Goss wrote:
>
> > >     > You may be interested in the Breath Flute project ...
>
> > >     BreathFlute.com.
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     > The bottom of the flue (windway) was initially modeled after
>
> > >     various
>
> > >     > 19th century recorders for which I have good measurements
>
> > >     (available
>
> > >     > on-line). After mulling over these, I found that there was a
>
> > >     suitable
>
> > >     > function based on ArcTAN() that fit those measurements
>
> > >     quite well. So
>
> > >     > I created a curve and rotated it around the bore of the instrument.
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     > The Breath Flute project is open-source, so you can download the
>
> > >     code
>
> > >     > and find the appropriate section (I don't recall the details at the
>
> > >     > moment). There is also a massive Developer's Guide, which I
>
> > >     think has
>
> > >     > details of how that was done ...
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     > -- Clint Goss
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     > FluteCast.com <http://FluteCast.com> ... direct links to Native
>
> > >     > American flute resources
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     > Goss.com <http://www.goss.com/> ... index of all our web sites
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     > On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 2:03 PM Kenneth Beesley
>
> > >     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> > >     > <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     >     Relative beginner question: Saxophone flared bell tube, curved
>
> > >     >     and graduated, how to model it?
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     >     I'm trying to model a saxophone bell, which has a bore
>
> > >     (hole) that
>
> > >     >     flares from beginning to end over a range of angles. For the
>
> > >     time
>
> > >     >     being, I'm assuming that
>
> > >     >     1.  The bore is circular, so some kind of extruded circle
>
> > >     would be
>
> > >     >     appropriate
>
> > >     >     2.  But the bore flares (increases in diameter)
>
> > >     exponentially from
>
> > >     >     beginning to end (it should be possible to specify the
>
> > >     diameter of
>
> > >     >     each "section" as a function of the angle)
>
> > >     >     3.  The center of the bore rotates around a radius
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     >     4.  Also, I'm assuming that one would first model the bore as a
>
> > >     >     kind of solid curved graduated cylinder, and then model a
>
> > >     >     larger-diameter "shell" as another solid curved graduated
>
> > >     cylinder
>
> > >     >     (on the same radius), and then just subtract/difference the bore
>
> > >     >     from the shell to get a curved graduated tube (like a saxophone
>
> > >     >     bell).  The walls of the tube should be the same thickness
>
> > >     >     throughout the result.
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     >     I'm a beginner, but I have some acquaintance with linear_extrude
>
> > >     >     and rotate_extrude. rotate_extrude would seem to be perfect
>
> > >     IF it
>
> > >     >     offered (like linear_extrude) the possibility of specifying the
>
> > >     >     scale as an interpolated function.  I also just looked at
>
> > >     >     ring_extrude, which seems promising, except that the shape to be
>
> > >     >     extruded must be specified as a vector of points---it would be
>
> > >     >     nice if one could simply extrude a simple circle.
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     >     Are there any available functions that might help me model a
>
> > >     >     saxophone bell?  Is there any better way to go about it?
>
> > >     >     Thanks,  Ken
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     >    *******************************
>
> > >     >     Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.
>
> > >     >     PO Box 540475
>
> > >     >     North Salt Lake UT 84054
>
> > >     >     USA
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     >    _______________________________________________
>
> > >     >     OpenSCAD mailing list
>
> > >     > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> > >    <mailto:[hidden email]
>
> > >    <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
> > >     >
>
> > >    http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     > _______________________________________________
>
> > >     > OpenSCAD mailing list
>
> > >     > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> > >     >
>
>
> > >
>
> > >
>
> > >    _______________________________________________
>
> > >     OpenSCAD mailing list
>
> > >    [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
>
> > >
>
> > >
>
> > > _______________________________________________
>
> > > OpenSCAD mailing list
>
> > > [hidden email]
>
> > > http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > _______________________________________________
>
> > OpenSCAD mailing list
>
> > [hidden email]
>
> > http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
>
>
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
|

ClintGoss
Sorry for the late reply ...

I was working on the assumption that people would be printing from STL, not starting from OpenSCAD, so I included lots of variants. 

File naming scheme is described in the included Developer's Guide (as a PDF).

However, the most common / useful STL files are in the /STL_Core subdir of the release. For a complete headjoint, you'll need one each of the _BD_, _BI_, and _BP_ components. You might try the _m variants, which use "medium" curve parameters. So you would print:

BFlute_079_BD_BF_m125i0z5e008_20180810_0711.stl
BFlute_079_BI_BF_m125LbT_20180810_0711.stl
BFlute_079_BP_BF_m125LbTi0_20180810_0711.stl

-- Clint Goss

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 11:03 PM Lee A <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, I didn't know they did that.

Has anyone else looked at the files? I see too many STL files to figure
out which ones I would need. There seems to be duplicates with only a
numbering system to identify them. I can't figure out what to make.

Lee

On 12/6/2019 8:41 PM, Michael Marx wrote:
>
> > so I moved it off the
>
> > screen and can't get it centered again.
>
> Try these two buttons
>
> > -----Original Message-----
>
> > From: Discuss [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of
> Lee A
>
> > Sent: Sat, 7 Dec 2019 10:26
>
> > To: [hidden email]
>
> > Subject: Re: [OpenSCAD] ***SPAM*** Re: Saxophone flared bell tube,
> curved and graduated, how to
>
> > model it?
>
> >
>
> > Ignore my error comment. I missed copying some files. I can see the
>
> > code, just not the object.
>
> > I am version 2019.05
>
> > I think I got it to display but any time I try to rotate or move or zoom
>
> > it takes minutes for the software to reposition it so I moved it off the
>
> > screen and can't get it centered again. I didn't think my computer was
>
> > that slow but maybe it is, an iMac.
>
> > It appears that the object is not on the plate but elevated above it.
>
> > And there are artifacts on the plate. I would like to play with it but
>
> > maybe have to find another computer somewhere.
>
> >
>
> > Lee
>
> >
>
> > On 12/6/2019 1:39 PM, Clint Goss wrote:
>
> > > The offending line is the fourth line - the polygon() - in this snippet:
>
> > >
>
> > >  color (SoundChamberColor) {
>
> > >     rotate_extrude (convexity = 10, $fn=fnSoundChamberDist) {
>
> > >       translate ([SoundChamberProx_ID/2, MorticeLength, 0]) {
>
> > >         polygon (points = MorticeChamferPoly_Angle,
>
> > > $fn=fnSoundChamberDist);
>
> > >       }
>
> > >     }
>
> > >   }
>
> > >
>
> > > ... and I don't offhand know what would be the issue ... unless
>
> > >
>
> > > What OpenSCAD version are you running? The Breath Flute runs under
>
> > > version [2015, 3, 0]
>
> > > Also ... why can't you view the code? In my setup, the code opens in
>
> > > the editor and does not render until requested ...
>
> > >
>
> > > -- Clint Goss
>
> > >
>
> > > FluteCast.com <http://FluteCast.com> ... direct links to Native
>
> > > American flute resources
>
> > >
>
> > > Goss.com <http://www.goss.com/>  ... index of all our web sites
>
> > >
>
> > >
>
> > >
>
> > > On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 2:24 PM Lee A <[hidden email]
>
> > > <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> > >
>
> > >     I went to breathflute and downloaded the project. I found a file
>
> > >     bflute_079.scad that seems like it should be it but I get an error at
>
> > >     line 5697 and have no idea how to   fix it. So I can't look at it or
>
> > >     print it.
>
> > >
>
> > >     Lee
>
> > >
>
> > >     On 12/3/2019 1:08 PM, Clint Goss wrote:
>
> > >     > You may be interested in the Breath Flute project ...
>
> > >     BreathFlute.com.
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     > The bottom of the flue (windway) was initially modeled after
>
> > >     various
>
> > >     > 19th century recorders for which I have good measurements
>
> > >     (available
>
> > >     > on-line). After mulling over these, I found that there was a
>
> > >     suitable
>
> > >     > function based on ArcTAN() that fit those measurements
>
> > >     quite well. So
>
> > >     > I created a curve and rotated it around the bore of the instrument.
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     > The Breath Flute project is open-source, so you can download the
>
> > >     code
>
> > >     > and find the appropriate section (I don't recall the details at the
>
> > >     > moment). There is also a massive Developer's Guide, which I
>
> > >     think has
>
> > >     > details of how that was done ...
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     > -- Clint Goss
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     > FluteCast.com <http://FluteCast.com> ... direct links to Native
>
> > >     > American flute resources
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     > Goss.com <http://www.goss.com/> ... index of all our web sites
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     > On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 2:03 PM Kenneth Beesley
>
> > >     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> > >     > <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     >     Relative beginner question: Saxophone flared bell tube, curved
>
> > >     >     and graduated, how to model it?
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     >     I'm trying to model a saxophone bell, which has a bore
>
> > >     (hole) that
>
> > >     >     flares from beginning to end over a range of angles. For the
>
> > >     time
>
> > >     >     being, I'm assuming that
>
> > >     >     1.  The bore is circular, so some kind of extruded circle
>
> > >     would be
>
> > >     >     appropriate
>
> > >     >     2.  But the bore flares (increases in diameter)
>
> > >     exponentially from
>
> > >     >     beginning to end (it should be possible to specify the
>
> > >     diameter of
>
> > >     >     each "section" as a function of the angle)
>
> > >     >     3.  The center of the bore rotates around a radius
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     >     4.  Also, I'm assuming that one would first model the bore as a
>
> > >     >     kind of solid curved graduated cylinder, and then model a
>
> > >     >     larger-diameter "shell" as another solid curved graduated
>
> > >     cylinder
>
> > >     >     (on the same radius), and then just subtract/difference the bore
>
> > >     >     from the shell to get a curved graduated tube (like a saxophone
>
> > >     >     bell).  The walls of the tube should be the same thickness
>
> > >     >     throughout the result.
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     >     I'm a beginner, but I have some acquaintance with linear_extrude
>
> > >     >     and rotate_extrude. rotate_extrude would seem to be perfect
>
> > >     IF it
>
> > >     >     offered (like linear_extrude) the possibility of specifying the
>
> > >     >     scale as an interpolated function.  I also just looked at
>
> > >     >     ring_extrude, which seems promising, except that the shape to be
>
> > >     >     extruded must be specified as a vector of points---it would be
>
> > >     >     nice if one could simply extrude a simple circle.
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     >     Are there any available functions that might help me model a
>
> > >     >     saxophone bell?  Is there any better way to go about it?
>
> > >     >     Thanks,  Ken
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     >    *******************************
>
> > >     >     Kenneth R. Beesley, D.Phil.
>
> > >     >     PO Box 540475
>
> > >     >     North Salt Lake UT 84054
>
> > >     >     USA
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     >
>
> > >     >