Product Video produced with OpenSCAD

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Product Video produced with OpenSCAD

Trygon
You might like this...

https://youtu.be/93H82WU8txM

Cheers,
Trygon
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Product Video produced with OpenSCAD

jon_bondy
You did that all with OpenSCAD?  Oh, my!

On 1/22/2016 7:59 AM, Trygon wrote:

> You might like this...
>
> https://youtu.be/93H82WU8txM
>
> Cheers,
> Trygon
>
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://forum.openscad.org/Product-Video-produced-with-OpenSCAD-tp15783.html
> Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
>
>
>
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 2016.0.7357 / Virus Database: 4522/11458 - Release Date: 01/22/16
>
>


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Product Video produced with OpenSCAD

KoenigDickBauch
In reply to this post by Trygon
WOW!

please, can you describe the step how you get from the model to the film?

best regars
Thomas


Am 22.01.2016 um 13:59 schrieb Trygon:
You might like this...

https://youtu.be/93H82WU8txM

Cheers,
Trygon




--
View this message in context: http://forum.openscad.org/Product-Video-produced-with-OpenSCAD-tp15783.html
Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


-- 
Thomas Bornhaupt
Bernard-Humblot-Str. 8a
67434 Neustadt
Tel: +49 (6321) 482260
USt-IdNr: DE185938520

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Product Video produced with OpenSCAD

doug.moen
In reply to this post by Trygon
Nice work.

On Friday, 22 January 2016, Trygon <[hidden email]> wrote:
You might like this...

https://youtu.be/93H82WU8txM

Cheers,
Trygon




--
View this message in context: http://forum.openscad.org/Product-Video-produced-with-OpenSCAD-tp15783.html
Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
<a href="javascript:;" onclick="_e(event, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;Discuss@lists.openscad.org&#39;)">Discuss@...
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org



_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Product Video produced with OpenSCAD

fractorr
That is bad ass!!!!  Gives me some great ideas for something I am working on.  Guess I have a lot to learn with the things that can be done with OpenSCAD.



On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 6:20 AM, doug moen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nice work.


On Friday, 22 January 2016, Trygon <[hidden email]> wrote:
You might like this...

https://youtu.be/93H82WU8txM

Cheers,
Trygon




--
View this message in context: http://forum.openscad.org/Product-Video-produced-with-OpenSCAD-tp15783.html
Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org



_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org



_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Product Video produced with OpenSCAD

kintel
Administrator
In reply to this post by Trygon
Wow,

I bet this project comes with a long wishlist for features in OpenSCAD :)

 -Marius

> On Jan 22, 2016, at 07:59 AM, Trygon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> You might like this...
>
> https://youtu.be/93H82WU8txM
>
> Cheers,
> Trygon


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Product Video produced with OpenSCAD

Neon22
In reply to this post by Trygon
excellent work. what a great additiion too :) congrats. Best wishes getting the Lego company involved.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Product Video produced with OpenSCAD

Peter Falke
In reply to this post by jon_bondy
Nice.
Did you do something special to string out so many animations?

2016-01-22 14:51 GMT+01:00 jon <[hidden email]>:
You did that all with OpenSCAD?  Oh, my!


On 1/22/2016 7:59 AM, Trygon wrote:
You might like this...

https://youtu.be/93H82WU8txM

Cheers,
Trygon




--
View this message in context: http://forum.openscad.org/Product-Video-produced-with-OpenSCAD-tp15783.html
Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org



-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2016.0.7357 / Virus Database: 4522/11458 - Release Date: 01/22/16




_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Product Video produced with OpenSCAD

Trygon
In reply to this post by KoenigDickBauch
Thank you all for your kind words.

Thomas, I used FFmpeg (freeware :) ffmpeg.org) to do all the video post-processing once I had generated the the image frames using animate in OpenSCAD. I will give you a much more comprehensive answer when I have a bit more time - my experience is that FFmpeg is very capable but quite daunting!

Peter, The video comprises a number of separate segments, each generated by its own OpenSCAD script. These were then turned into video segments and subsequently glued together using FFmpeg. For most segments the opening position of the components corresponds to the closing position from the previous segment so the breaks are not visible.

Cheers,
Trygon
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Product Video produced with OpenSCAD

Felipe Sanches
It would be awesome to have these SCAD scripts published on GitHub
(https://github.com) with a free license.



On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 9:19 AM, Trygon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you all for your kind words.
>
> Thomas, I used FFmpeg (freeware :) ffmpeg.org) to do all the video
> post-processing once I had generated the the image frames using animate in
> OpenSCAD. I will give you a much more comprehensive answer when I have a bit
> more time - my experience is that FFmpeg is very capable but quite daunting!
>
> Peter, The video comprises a number of separate segments, each generated by
> its own OpenSCAD script. These were then turned into video segments and
> subsequently glued together using FFmpeg. For most segments the opening
> position of the components corresponds to the closing position from the
> previous segment so the breaks are not visible.
>
> Cheers,
> Trygon
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://forum.openscad.org/Product-Video-produced-with-OpenSCAD-tp15783p15833.html
> Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Product Video produced with OpenSCAD

Felipe Sanches
There are many possibilities, but some quick examples of ways you can
mark the licensing of the scripts are:

* "These scripts are released to the public domain"
* "These scripts are (c) 2015 Trygon <fullname & email address> and
are released under the terms of the General Public License, version 3
or later")

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 9:33 AM, Felipe Sanches <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It would be awesome to have these SCAD scripts published on GitHub
> (https://github.com) with a free license.
>
>
>
> On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 9:19 AM, Trygon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thank you all for your kind words.
>>
>> Thomas, I used FFmpeg (freeware :) ffmpeg.org) to do all the video
>> post-processing once I had generated the the image frames using animate in
>> OpenSCAD. I will give you a much more comprehensive answer when I have a bit
>> more time - my experience is that FFmpeg is very capable but quite daunting!
>>
>> Peter, The video comprises a number of separate segments, each generated by
>> its own OpenSCAD script. These were then turned into video segments and
>> subsequently glued together using FFmpeg. For most segments the opening
>> position of the components corresponds to the closing position from the
>> previous segment so the breaks are not visible.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Trygon
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> View this message in context: http://forum.openscad.org/Product-Video-produced-with-OpenSCAD-tp15783p15833.html
>> Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> OpenSCAD mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Product Video produced with OpenSCAD

KoenigDickBauch
In reply to this post by Trygon
Hi Trygon,

I found the function "Animate".  Can I change the viewpoint?

Cheers,
Thomas

Am 23.01.2016 um 12:19 schrieb Trygon:
Thank you all for your kind words.

Thomas, I used FFmpeg (freeware :) ffmpeg.org) to do all the video
post-processing once I had generated the the image frames using animate in
OpenSCAD. I will give you a much more comprehensive answer when I have a bit
more time - my experience is that FFmpeg is very capable but quite daunting!

Peter, The video comprises a number of separate segments, each generated by
its own OpenSCAD script. These were then turned into video segments and
subsequently glued together using FFmpeg. For most segments the opening
position of the components corresponds to the closing position from the
previous segment so the breaks are not visible.

Cheers,
Trygon



--
View this message in context: http://forum.openscad.org/Product-Video-produced-with-OpenSCAD-tp15783p15833.html
Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


-- 
Thomas Bornhaupt
Bernard-Humblot-Str. 8a
67434 Neustadt
Tel: +49 (6321) 482260
USt-IdNr: DE185938520

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Product Video produced with OpenSCAD

KoenigDickBauch
In reply to this post by Trygon
Hi Trygon,

could you please give me the parameter for mencoder or ffmpeg?

best regards
Thomas
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Product Video produced with OpenSCAD

Trygon
In reply to this post by kintel
Hi Marius,

I did write a lot of library modules and functions to support the main part scripts, I sent you a portion of this: CylindricalExtrude() - there is a lot more...

The most useful new feature would be the ability to access raw vertex & facet information at an arbitrary point in the CSG tree:

  shape1=union(){sphere();cube();};
  polyhedron(shape1[0],shape1[1]);

and:

  shape2=import("Bar.stl");

also, using a module to create a new operator:

  module Foo(){
    shape1=children();
    polyhedron(shape1[0],shape1[1]);
  }

  Foo() sphere();

I am sure Doug will comment on the syntax for this! ;-)

Cheers,
Trygon
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Product Video produced with OpenSCAD

Trygon
In reply to this post by KoenigDickBauch
Hi Thomas,

Quick animation example.

OpenSCAD script:

rotate([0,0,$t*360]) cube(20,center=true);

1) Check that you have OpenSCAD version 2015.03-2 & have installed FFmpeg
2) You must save the script above, so that OpenSCAD has a directory to dump the animation picture frames to.
3) Click: View -> Animate (turn on animation)
4) Enter "Steps" as 100
5) Enter "FPS" as 25, this does not really matter, if your computer is not quick enough OpenSCAD will still generate all the animation frames but the output will not be in real time
6) Check "Dump Pictures"
7) Wait for "Dump Pictures" to uncheck itself
8) Click: View -> Animate (turn off animation)
9) In the directory you saved the script in (step 2) you should have a set of 100 sequential animation frame files: frame00000.png -> frame00099.png
10) assuming you have a command prompt and are in the directory with the animation picture files, enter the command:

  ffmpeg -start_number 0 -framerate 25 -i frame%05d.png SpinningCube.mp4

11) Once FFmpeg finishes running, you should now have an mp4 video file called SpinningCube that is 4 seconds long (100 frames at 25 frames per second).

Cheers,
Trygon
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Product Video produced with OpenSCAD

KoenigDickBauch
Hi Trygon,

thank you for the description.

My line for ffmpeg is:

ffmpeg -i frame%%05d.png -pix_fmt yuv420p -r 25 XXXX.mp4

I will check your line.

My next step is to make a connection from real video and and openscad video.

1) convert real film to images (with ffmpeg)
2) generate openscad images
3) connect this images (new program)
4) generate film of images (with ffmpeg)

regards
Thomas


Am 27.01.2016 um 14:42 schrieb Trygon:
Hi Thomas,

Quick animation example.

OpenSCAD script:

rotate([0,0,$t*360]) cube(20,center=true);

1) Check that you have OpenSCAD version 2015.03-2 & have installed FFmpeg
2) You must save the script above, so that OpenSCAD has a directory to dump
the animation picture frames to.
3) Click: View -> Animate (turn on animation)
4) Enter "Steps" as 100
5) Enter "FPS" as 25, this does not really matter, if your computer is not
quick enough OpenSCAD will still generate all the animation frames but the
output will not be in real time
6) Check "Dump Pictures"
7) Wait for "Dump Pictures" to uncheck itself
8) Click: View -> Animate (turn off animation)
9) In the directory you saved the script in (step 2) you should have a set
of 100 sequential animation frame files: frame00000.png -> frame00099.png
10) assuming you have a command prompt and are in the directory with the
animation picture files, enter the command:

  ffmpeg -start_number 0 -framerate 25 -i frame%05d.png SpinningCube.mp4

11) Once FFmpeg finishes running, you should now have an mp4 video file
called SpinningCube that is 4 seconds long (100 frames at 25 frames per
second).

Cheers,
Trygon



--
View this message in context: http://forum.openscad.org/Product-Video-produced-with-OpenSCAD-tp15783p15921.html
Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


-- 
Thomas Bornhaupt
Bernard-Humblot-Str. 8a
67434 Neustadt
Tel: +49 (6321) 482260
USt-IdNr: DE185938520

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Product Video produced with OpenSCAD

Trygon
Setting the pixel format to yuv420p does ensure better compatibility with older video players, I specify the libx264 encoder first before requesting a particular pixel format from it:
-c:v libx264 -pix_fmt yuv420p
I am not sure if this is necessary, but it avoids FFmpeg guessing wrongly.

-r sets the output frame rate
-framerate sets the input frame rate
I was told that it is better to set the input frame rate with images (since there is no frame rate information, unlike an input video) and the output will then default to the same (unless you also specify -r !)

Cheers,
Trygon
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Product Video produced with OpenSCAD

fractorr
FFMPeg is pretty cool, I was able to create a video from several animations (25) captured from Open SCAD and stitch them altogether to make one video.  Not nearly as bad ass as your video but it worked well for what I was after.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Product Video produced with OpenSCAD

Peter Falke
It would be cool to put your video and, if your willing, your code up, as an exaple on the OpenSCAD website.

2016-01-27 20:48 GMT+01:00 fractorr <[hidden email]>:
FFMPeg is pretty cool, I was able to create a video from several animations
(25) captured from Open SCAD and stitch them altogether to make one video.
Not nearly as bad ass as your video but it worked well for what I was after.




--
View this message in context: http://forum.openscad.org/Product-Video-produced-with-OpenSCAD-tp15783p15947.html
Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Product Video produced with OpenSCAD

RobWLakes
I second that, it is rather inspiring.

On 28 January 2016 9:01:16 AM AEDT, Peter Falke <[hidden email]> wrote:
It would be cool to put your video and, if your willing, your code up, as an exaple on the OpenSCAD website.

2016-01-27 20:48 GMT+01:00 fractorr <[hidden email]>:
FFMPeg is pretty cool, I was able to create a video from several animations
(25) captured from Open SCAD and stitch them altogether to make one video.
Not nearly as bad ass as your video but it worked well for what I was after.




--
View this message in context: http://forum.openscad.org/Product-Video-produced-with-OpenSCAD-tp15783p15947.html
Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org



OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org

--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Rob W
Lake Tyers Beach,
Victoria, Australia
12