Opening a second file with the editor hidden.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Opening a second file with the editor hidden.

nophead
How does one open a second view of the same project now the multi-tab version has been implemented?

I.e. if I open a file from the file menu it puts in on a second tab but it doesn't get another preview window. Also if I have the editor hidden there are no tabs, so it looks like it just replaces the original file but it still has the old file loaded.

I can open another instance of OpenSCAD but then it doesn't share the design. Since it will use another core, that is generally what I do, but we seem to have lost some functionality. I think if the editor is hidden, opening a file should do what it did before. I.e. you get a new instance of the GUI that shares the model data.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
rew
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opening a second file with the editor hidden.

rew
On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 09:39:36AM +0100, nop head wrote:
> I.e. if I open a file from the file menu it puts in on a second tab but it
> doesn't get another preview window.

You mean that you open two windows on the same design to view it from two
different angles? Neat trick. I should try that some day!

        Roger.

--
** [hidden email] ** https://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2049110 **
**    Delftechpark 11 2628 XJ  Delft, The Netherlands.  KVK: 27239233    **
The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike
Phil, this plan just might work.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opening a second file with the editor hidden.

nophead
Not exactly. When I have big multi-file projects I might have the main assembly in one window and a sub-assembly that I am working on in another window.

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 at 10:01, Rogier Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 09:39:36AM +0100, nop head wrote:
> I.e. if I open a file from the file menu it puts in on a second tab but it
> doesn't get another preview window.

You mean that you open two windows on the same design to view it from two
different angles? Neat trick. I should try that some day!

        Roger.

--
** [hidden email] ** https://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2049110 **
**    Delftechpark 11 2628 XJ  Delft, The Netherlands.  KVK: 27239233    **
The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike
Phil, this plan just might work.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
tp3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opening a second file with the editor hidden.

tp3
In reply to this post by nophead
On 11.08.20 10:39, nop head wrote:
> I.e. if I open a file from the file menu it puts in on a
> second tab but it doesn't get another preview window.

Yes, one window = one 3d viewer. If you would like to have
multiple 3d viewers, "File->Open in New Window" will create
a new window.

> Also if I have the editor hidden there are no tabs, so it
> looks like it just replaces the original file but it still
> has the old file loaded.

Yes, editor tabs belong to the editor, so they are hidden
together. If you undock the editor to a separate view, the
tabs will come along too.

ciao,
  Torsten.


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
-- Torsten
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opening a second file with the editor hidden.

nophead
Thanks, I never noticed those new menu options, or perhaps forgot about them.

One thing that would be great is if File New un-hid the editor. I only use the editor when I cut and paste a code example from this mailing list, so I always have to un-hide it after doing File New. I don't think new makes sense with the editor hidden.

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 at 16:27, Torsten Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11.08.20 10:39, nop head wrote:
> I.e. if I open a file from the file menu it puts in on a
> second tab but it doesn't get another preview window.

Yes, one window = one 3d viewer. If you would like to have
multiple 3d viewers, "File->Open in New Window" will create
a new window.

> Also if I have the editor hidden there are no tabs, so it
> looks like it just replaces the original file but it still
> has the old file loaded.

Yes, editor tabs belong to the editor, so they are hidden
together. If you undock the editor to a separate view, the
tabs will come along too.

ciao,
  Torsten.


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opening a second file with the editor hidden.

lar3ry
In reply to this post by tp3
On 11 Aug 2020 at 17:27, Torsten Paul wrote:
> Yes, one window = one 3d viewer. If you would like to have
> multiple 3d viewers, "File->Open in New Window" will create
> a new window.

I am running OpenSCAD V2019.05, and I do not have a menu item
File->Open in New Window. Running on Windows 7, 64-bit.

If I click on File->New, I do get another blank window.

What am I missing?


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
tp3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opening a second file with the editor hidden.

tp3
On 11.08.20 18:27, [hidden email] wrote:
> I am running OpenSCAD V2019.05, and I do not have a menu item
> File->Open in New Window. Running on Windows 7, 64-bit.
>
> If I click on File->New, I do get another blank window.
>
> What am I missing?

Editor tabs are new feature in the development snapshots.

ciao,
  Torsten.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
-- Torsten
tp3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Opening a second file with the editor hidden.

tp3
In reply to this post by nophead
On 11.08.20 17:59, nop head wrote:
> One thing that would be great is if File New un-hid
> the editor. I only use the editor when I cut and paste
> a code example from this mailing list, so I always
> have to un-hide it after doing File New. I don't think
> new makes sense with the editor hidden.

Yep, that's sounds useful. I've created a ticket for
this: https://github.com/openscad/openscad/issues/3401

ciao,
  Torsten.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
-- Torsten