classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

OpenSCAD manipulation of STL file and mouse events

heatblazer
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
Hello,

I am getting used with OpenSCAD from today. What I am missing is how to use the .stl files properly. import() just loads my mesh data. But I want to have a handle to these vertexes there and manipulate them. The usage to rotate([...]) import("somefile.stl"); is just not what I need in the case. Also I am wondering are there mouse events that can click on specific point of the mesh, to let's say add some points or objects on the mesh?

Regards,
И.Z.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: OpenSCAD manipulation of STL file and mouse events

MichaelAtOz
Administrator
Hi, welcome yto the forum.

> What I am missing is how to use the .stl files properly. import() just loads my mesh data. But I want to have a handle to these vertexes there and manipulate them. The usage to rotate([...]) import("somefile.stl"); is just not what I need in the case.

Can't do that.
There has been lots of discussion re this, but no sorry.

> Also I am wondering are there mouse events that can click on specific point of the mesh, to let's say add some points or objects on the mesh?

Not your lucky day here either...
OpenSCAD is a programming language, not an interactive modeller. It is its specialty, if you want that, there are other products.
Admin - PM me if you need anything,
or if I've done something stupid...

Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work.
Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.

The TPP is no simple “trade agreement.” Fight it! http://www.ourfairdeal.org/ time is running out!
Reply | Threaded
|  

heatblazer
Ah... :( I am really out of options... So any suggestions how can I achieve these with something other than than OpenSCAD?

Regards,
И.Z.
Reply | Threaded
|  

fred_dot_u
I'm not a whiz at Blender, barely able to get stuff on the editor screen, but your description appears to be a good match for the program. One can select faces, edges or vertices and manipulate them in so many different ways, including adding new faces, edges, vertices.

I believe that one can also create scripts within blender to accomplish tasks. I cannot say with certainty that that feature would meet your requirements and I would not expect Blender to be as parametric-friendly as OpenSCAD, but I could be incorrect.

Blender is free and has a rather challenging learning curve.
Reply | Threaded
|  

cacb
In reply to this post by heatblazer
On 2017-04-05 10:01, heatblazer wrote:
> Ah... :( I am really out of options... So any suggestions how can I
> achieve
> these with something other than than OpenSCAD?

On the question of manipulating vertices of imported models, see this
for some ideas
http://forum.openscad.org/flattening-curved-surfaces-td19727.html#a19739

I still have not released that code, but I am working on it on and off.

Carsten Arnholm

Reply | Threaded
|  

Neon22
In reply to this post by fred_dot_u
Blender is a fine program and does a great deal. For this task you may be better starting off with Wings3D which generates watertight printable models by definition (assuming you don't load some junk in to start with but create the model starting with their primitives).

YMMV but the trick to learnign wings3D is to keep your eye on the status line as all commands are context sensitive. do a couple of youtube tuts and you'll get the hang of it.
Reply | Threaded
|  

heatblazer
In reply to this post by cacb
Hello,

I am quite new with OpenSCAD. I am also debugging it with qtcreator to see what is going on and where the imported mesh data is and how to catch these vertices. I intend to make some custom tools to get me started so I will also share it, but the project is big and I am doing it for 2 days not intensively, but if I got some progress, I`ll share it.
Reply | Threaded
|  

heatblazer
Hello,

Yes I am debugging it. This night I've found a file import.cc and placed a breakpoint in line 67 . the class is ImportModule I think I am starting from there to see how can I get some handle to these pixels or data. I may try to dig in OpenGL also. But will report here if I have some progress.

Regards,
И.Z.
Reply | Threaded
|  

heatblazer
I've been debugging this night, I was able to detect something that can be helpful for developers: <p/>
const Geometry *PrimitiveNode::createGeometry() const in  primitives.cc  If somebody could give me a hand debug the OpenSCAD we can work on something.

Regards.