OpenSCAD machine recommendations

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OpenSCAD machine recommendations

DanS
What is recommended for improving OpenSCAD performance?  One thing I heard (perhaps I misheard it) was that multiple cores didn't help that much since it was single threaded but maybe most OSes still allow singlethreaded programs to get a boost from multiple cores.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: OpenSCAD machine recommendations

MichaelAtOz
Administrator
At most two threads, but the rendering is only done in one. ATM, future desire to multithread...don't hold your breath tho.

So fastest CPU GHz, lots of memory (if you do complex designs), these days I'd say 16G min, & a SSD (which you want regardless). Larger CPU L1/L2 cache would probably help, but I'd guess it would be in the margins.

A better, not best, graphics card can help with viewing previews of complex models, ie when dragging/moving the image around.

Avoid Intel graphics.
Admin - email* me if you need anything, or if I've done something stupid...
* click on my MichaelAtOz label, there is a link to email me.

Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work.
Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: OpenSCAD machine recommendations

Bananapeel
MichaelAtOz wrote
So fastest CPU GHz
CPUs don't have the same number of instructions per hz (IPC - instructions per clock cycle). So it's better to look at benchmarks. Look at results that are from programs using a single thread. cpubenchmark.net gives each processor a "single thread rating", this is what you are looking for.

Perhaps the best thing you can do to improve performance is recode the slow parts of openscad. Of course, if it was easy, someone would have done it already.