OpenSCAD 2015.02 Release Candidate 3

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OpenSCAD 2015.02 Release Candidate 3

kintel
Administrator
Hi all,

Thanks for testing out first two Release Candidates. We’ve some remaining issues (see below).

Please consider the current master branch and snapshot binaries >= 2015.02.20 the third Release Candidate of OpenSCAD 2015.02.

As usual, we’re planning to give it a week or so for testing before making a release, unless significant enough bugs or regressions surface, in which case the whole process will have to rinse and repeat until we’re content.

Please give it a spin and pour your complaints here or on the github issue tracker.
This is most likely the last attempt before making it a proper release.

Thanks,

-Marius


o #1221: Very close vertices weren’t merged correctly, causing thin surfaces to be created
o #1215: Fix some non-manifold tessellation results
o #1210: Fix crash in  
o #1205: Show axes and scale markers as default
o Visual tuning of the editor margin


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Ivo
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenSCAD 2015.02 Release Candidate 3

Ivo
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
Has rendering of lots of unconnected parts (like chains) been improved ? I have done some quick tests and i can't see any change in my tests.

I like the UI changes so I'd really like to start using it.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenSCAD 2015.02 Release Candidate 3

kintel
Administrator
Not yet, it's being maintained here: https://github.com/openscad/openscad/issues/350
We still haven't resolved compatibility issues.

 -Marius
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenSCAD 2015.02 Release Candidate 3

Oskar
In reply to this post by kintel
I had a chance to give it a quick spin on Mac. The few issues I encountered in the order from 'limits usability' to 'don't care':

* Double clicking on a part of an object no longer centers the view on that point.
* Scale markers below 1 mm have floating point rounding issues. See:

* Icons look like crap on high resolution (Retina) displays:


/Oskar
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenSCAD 2015.02 Release Candidate 3

kintel
Administrator
Hi Oskar,

Thanks for testing!

> * Double clicking on a part of an object no longer centers the view on that
> point.
When did this last work? I’ve never used this feature and I cannot find any version of OpenSCAD where it works as you describe..

> * Scale markers below 1 mm have floating point rounding issues. See:
> <http://forum.openscad.org/file/n11697/markers.png>

Fixed in master.

> * Icons look like crap on high resolution (Retina) displays:
> <http://forum.openscad.org/file/n11697/icons.png>
>
I know. Look at the built-in Qt (X) icon below, which is equally crappy. This is a long-standing Qt issue.
The fix will most probably be to draw the icons in SVG and hook them into Qt that way. Would probably require Qt 5.4.x.
It’s out of scope for the upcoming release, but will be handled shortly after.

 -Marius


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenSCAD 2015.02 Release Candidate 3

Peter Falke
Maybe the scale markers would be easier to read, when the underscore used for a dot would be replaced by small square.

2015-02-22 18:12 GMT+01:00 Marius Kintel <[hidden email]>:
Hi Oskar,

Thanks for testing!

> * Double clicking on a part of an object no longer centers the view on that
> point.
When did this last work? I’ve never used this feature and I cannot find any version of OpenSCAD where it works as you describe..

> * Scale markers below 1 mm have floating point rounding issues. See:
> <http://forum.openscad.org/file/n11697/markers.png>

Fixed in master.

> * Icons look like crap on high resolution (Retina) displays:
> <http://forum.openscad.org/file/n11697/icons.png>
>
I know. Look at the built-in Qt (X) icon below, which is equally crappy. This is a long-standing Qt issue.
The fix will most probably be to draw the icons in SVG and hook them into Qt that way. Would probably require Qt 5.4.x.
It’s out of scope for the upcoming release, but will be handled shortly after.

 -Marius


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org



--
[hidden email]

P.S. Falls meine E-Mail kürzer ausfällt als Dir angenehm ist:
Ich probiere gerade aus kurze Antworten statt gar keine Antworten zu schreiben.
Wenn Du gerne mehr lesen möchtest, dann lass es mich bitte wissen.

P.S. In case my e-mail is shorter than you enjoy:
I am currently trying short replies instead of no replies at all.
Please let me know, if you like to read more.

Enjoy!

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenSCAD 2015.02 Release Candidate 3

Oskar
In reply to this post by kintel
<quote author="kintel">
Hi Oskar,

Thanks for testing!

> * Double clicking on a part of an object no longer centers the view on that
> point.
When did this last work? I’ve never used this feature and I cannot find any version of OpenSCAD where it works as you describe..

It has worked (for me) since #865 was merged. I have no idea when the regression occurred.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenSCAD 2015.02 Release Candidate 3

kintel
Administrator
On Feb 22, 2015, at 12:28 PM, Oskar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It has worked (for me) since #865 was merged. I have no idea when the
> regression occurred.
>
Fixed in master. The picking didn’t work on retina displays.

 -Marius


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenSCAD 2015.02 Release Candidate 3

nophead
In a simple single file project I have no syntax error highlighting with either editor. Has this been removed?

Also the font size seems to be much bigger in the Syntilla editor. Does the simple editor not use the settings in the preferences?

On 22 February 2015 at 18:19, Marius Kintel <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Feb 22, 2015, at 12:28 PM, Oskar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It has worked (for me) since #865 was merged. I have no idea when the
> regression occurred.
>
Fixed in master. The picking didn’t work on retina displays.

 -Marius


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenSCAD 2015.02 Release Candidate 3

kintel
Administrator
On Feb 24, 2015, at 10:50 AM, nop head <[hidden email]> wrote:

In a simple single file project I have no syntax error highlighting with either editor. Has this been removed?

How does it look for you?
I would get this type of highlighting:


Also the font size seems to be much bigger in the Syntilla editor. Does the simple editor not use the settings in the preferences?

I just fixed two bugs:
o The legacy editor didn’t respond to preferences
o The scintilla editor didn’t handle the line number font correctly, causing excessive spacing for small fonts

 -Marius


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenSCAD 2015.02 Release Candidate 3

nophead
If I press F5 I get error highlighting as you show. It doesn't work with auto reload from an external editor.

On 25 February 2015 at 16:33, Marius Kintel <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Feb 24, 2015, at 10:50 AM, nop head <[hidden email]> wrote:

In a simple single file project I have no syntax error highlighting with either editor. Has this been removed?

How does it look for you?
I would get this type of highlighting:


Also the font size seems to be much bigger in the Syntilla editor. Does the simple editor not use the settings in the preferences?

I just fixed two bugs:
o The legacy editor didn’t respond to preferences
o The scintilla editor didn’t handle the line number font correctly, causing excessive spacing for small fonts

 -Marius


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org



_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenSCAD 2015.02 Release Candidate 3

kintel
Administrator

On Feb 25, 2015, at 11:58 AM, nop head <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I press F5 I get error highlighting as you show. It doesn't work with auto reload from an external editor.
>
Thx.
This behavior is due to the fix for https://github.com/openscad/openscad/issues/406
It’s still unknown why that didn’t work. Could be an issue with Qt.
I don’t dare to touch this unless I can make sure #406 doesn’t resurface.

 -Marius


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenSCAD 2015.02 Release Candidate 3

nophead
It isn't a big problem now I discovered I can just press F5 to see the error.

On 25 February 2015 at 17:27, Marius Kintel <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Feb 25, 2015, at 11:58 AM, nop head <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I press F5 I get error highlighting as you show. It doesn't work with auto reload from an external editor.
>
Thx.
This behavior is due to the fix for https://github.com/openscad/openscad/issues/406
It’s still unknown why that didn’t work. Could be an issue with Qt.
I don’t dare to touch this unless I can make sure #406 doesn’t resurface.

 -Marius


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenSCAD 2015.02 Release Candidate 3

kintel
Administrator

On Feb 25, 2015, at 12:34 PM, nop head <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It isn't a big problem now I discovered I can just press F5 to see the error.
>
Good :)
I opened an issue for the record: https://github.com/openscad/openscad/issues/1226

 -Marius


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org