Odd artifacts when generating gears

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Odd artifacts when generating gears

Trakyan
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
I've been using 3dexplorer's public domain gear generator for a while for a project I'm working on and so far I've been able to modify/work around any limitations it's had. However, I've noticed that for low numbers of teeth and high pressure angles (i.e. 6 teeth and pressure angle of 45 degrees) there are artifacts leftover at the tips of the teeth due to how the gears are generated.

It seems to occur from when the pressure angle causes the tooth to shorten because the involute curves cross over before the intended outer diameter. I've tried cutting this away with intersection but can't get an equation for the radius the circle I'm using should be. Could anyone help me out with this? Or suggest how I could modify the code to get rid of these artifacts. So far I've been doing some googling/guess and check/searching through other gear code for inspiration but haven't had any luck in getting it to work for all pressure angles.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Odd artifacts when generating gears

Parkinbot
Have you ever thought that an involute gear with this specs might not be well-defined? You'd better go for hypocycloid gears, if want pressure angles >36°.