classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Newbie quick question Thingiverse SCAD / OpenSCAD

SimonSolar2C
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
Is the SCAD used in thingiverse the same as used in OpenSCAD app?
Because the script in thingiverse has a click button to prompt for filename, but the same script used in open SCAD has no way to enter a filename.  Here is the example:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1915536
Thanks in advance
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Newbie quick question Thingiverse SCAD / OpenSCAD

MichaelAtOz
Administrator
Welcome to the forum. Your post is still flagged as "This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet", so nobody gets it unless they look.
You need to subscribe to the mailing list, and CLICK THE LINK in the registration email.

The SCAD used in Customizer is OpenSCAD, not always the latest version tho.
However Customizer is a wrapper around OpenSCAD and does extra things.
The choose file button is an example. It includes the filename in the source code, see the view source button.
This line makes the button appear, and the file you choose is converted to a surface.dat file. It also sets the surface.dat file in the shape_file variable
   shape_file = ""; // [image_surface:100x100]

Which is used further down to process the file.
   dat_2d(file = shape_file)

You can take Customizer source and use it in OpenSCAD locally, but you need to set the variables at the top of the file.
In this case you would need to create the surface file yourself using their online tool.
Then set the file name e.g.
  shape_file = "mycutter.dat"

To answer the question in your other post, see the link above. surface() is very memory hungry, creating anything much more detailed tends to bring OpenSCAD to its knees.
Admin - PM me if you need anything,
or if I've done something stupid...

Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work.
Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.

The TPP is no simple “trade agreement.” Fight it! http://www.ourfairdeal.org/ time is running out!