New OpenSCAD member- Google Season of Docs

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New OpenSCAD member- Google Season of Docs

the-ethan-hunt
Hello everyone, nice to meet the OpenSCAD community!
My name is Dhruv Apte and I am a recently-graduated undergraduate majoring
in mechanical engineering from Gujarat Technological University, India and
will be joining VirginiaTech as an MS (Aerospace engineering) student.
My first experience with OpenSCAD was back in 2018 when we were taught the
course of Computer-Aided-Design in the sixth semester. I found OpenSCAD much
better than Creo Parametric as the latter does not work upon logic but
rather simple tool-clicking like Paint. Although I suggested my department
to switch to OpenSCAD, they refused it citing 'lack of documentation to
guide the student for important CAd concepts to learn to implement in
his/her mechanical engineering career'. This forms the basis of my proposal
for GSoD'19.

I intend to create a proper guide on education that can help a newbie to
learn the fundamentals of CAD. Possible topics include extrude and other
related features to generate models that can be used as design models for
manufacturing either by Computer Aided Machining or 3-D Printing.

In my final year, we had to submit a project thesis as part of the
Bachelor's thesis project. I completed two theses one of which was later
submitted as 2 research papers in distinguished national journals. I also
worked on another research paper during my undergraduate research.

Please tell me how my idea of the guide sounds. I talked about the last part
to talk that I have previously worked in documentation too. Thanks for
reading and commenting!

P.S. I talked about my idea with Torsten Paul throughout May. He liked my
idea of the guide and also thought that my 'documentation history' would be
good to go.



--
Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New OpenSCAD member- Google Season of Docs

RobWLakes
You have my support/vote.
Rob
Cheers, RobW

On 3 June 2019 2:37:57 am AEST, the-ethan-hunt <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone, nice to meet the OpenSCAD community!
My name is Dhruv Apte and I am a recently-graduated undergraduate majoring
in mechanical engineering from Gujarat Technological University, India and
will be joining VirginiaTech as an MS (Aerospace engineering) student.
My first experience with OpenSCAD was back in 2018 when we were taught the
course of Computer-Aided-Design in the sixth semester. I found OpenSCAD much
better than Creo Parametric as the latter does not work upon logic but
rather simple tool-clicking like Paint. Although I suggested my department
to switch to OpenSCAD, they refused it citing 'lack of documentation to
guide the student for important CAd concepts to learn to implement in
his/her mechanical engineering career'. This forms the basis of my proposal
for GSoD'19.

I intend to create a proper guide on education that can help a newbie to
learn the fundamentals of CAD. Possible topics include extrude and other
related features to generate models that can be used as design models for
manufacturing either by Computer Aided Machining or 3-D Printing.

In my final year, we had to submit a project thesis as part of the
Bachelor's thesis project. I completed two theses one of which was later
submitted as 2 research papers in distinguished national journals. I also
worked on another research paper during my undergraduate research.

Please tell me how my idea of the guide sounds. I talked about the last part
to talk that I have previously worked in documentation too. Thanks for
reading and commenting!

P.S. I talked about my idea with Torsten Paul throughout May. He liked my
idea of the guide and also thought that my 'documentation history' would be
good to go.



--
Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Rob W
Lake Tyers Beach,
Victoria, Australia
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New OpenSCAD member- Google Season of Docs

the-ethan-hunt
Thanks!
 I have been researching CAD pedagogies of various universities and have
noted that although OpenSCAD is extremely famous, not a lot of universities
include it in their curriculum. Many university CAD courses including MIT
use SolidWorks or Creo Parametric. When I asked some professors and teaching
assistants about it, they replied that "Solidworks/ Creo Parametric has a
more detailed guide which, thus can be used by students with ease even while
practicing by themselves."

My idea of an education guide could be implemented in universities if we
include CAD theory tutorials that are taught in the latter e.g. Hermite
curves and B-spline curves. I am currently researching some more university
pedagogies to have a centralized syllabus which can be the Plan of Action
during the Season of Docs. Please tell me how does it sound. Thanks again
for reading!




--
Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
tp3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New OpenSCAD member- Google Season of Docs

tp3
On 08.06.19 14:17, the-ethan-hunt wrote:
> When I asked some professors and teaching assistants
> about it, they replied that "Solidworks/ Creo Parametric
> has a more detailed guide which, thus can be used by
> students with ease even while practicing by themselves."

That's interesting. It would be great if we can help with
that by providing some more specialized documentation.
It's pretty much the reason why that project proposal is
in the list.

> My idea of an education guide could be implemented in
> universities if we include CAD theory tutorials that
> are taught in the latter e.g. Hermite curves and B-spline
> curves. I am currently researching some more university
> pedagogies to have a centralized syllabus which can be
> the Plan of Action during the Season of Docs. Please tell
> me how does it sound.

If we could collect a number of topics that are actually
being taught and start with providing documentation for
those, including examples to play with, that would be
perfect. I suspect the list of topics might be quite
different across the world, but there's likely a good
selection which is covered everywhere.

ciao,
  Torsten.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
-- Torsten
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New OpenSCAD member- Google Season of Docs

the-ethan-hunt
Hello again
Apologies for being a little late as I was working on some syllabi of
various universities. Based on my study, I found these were some common
topics which are taught in CAD all over the world:

1) Introduction to CAD- This includes an introduction to CAD and basic
installation instructions for the software to be used; generally Solidworks
or Creo Parametric
2) Creating Basic 2-D and 3-D shapes like square, circle, and cube, sphere
respectively.
3) Geometric Transformation- This includes basic transformation, scaling,
rotating, translation for 2-dimensional shapes and in some cases,
3-dimensional too.
4) 3-D projections- Includes oblique, isometric and orthographic
projections.
5) Curves Part-1- Includes curves defined by parametric equations like a
circle, parabola, and hyperbola.
6) Curves Part-2- Includes curves like Cubic spline curves and bezier
curves.

I believe all the topics and the related subtopics can be performed in
OpenSCAD environment. In other words, OpenSCAD can prove to be a great
substitute to licensed and expensive versions of the above-mentioned
software.

One more thing that I believe where OpenSCAD would 'triumph' over other
software once we have an education manual is it's open-sourced and free:
some of the people whom I had a conversation with talked that their
universities often used pirated software to teach students due to the
supposedly high cost of the license. This is extremely unethical and these
would be the cases where OpenSCAD would help since it is open-source and
free.

I have started drafting my proposal for GSoD'19 where I intend to include
the above-mentioned topics in my proposed guide. Please tell me how does it
sound. Thanks in advance!

Kind regards
Dhruv










--
Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
tp3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New OpenSCAD member- Google Season of Docs

tp3
On 17.06.19 13:54, the-ethan-hunt wrote:
> I believe all the topics and the related subtopics can
> be performed in OpenSCAD environment. In other words,
> OpenSCAD can prove to be a great substitute to licensed
> and expensive versions of the above-mentioned software.

I'm not sure we want to pitch OpenSCAD as general substitute.
It certainly can cover the small part of parametric solid
modeling quite well, but it's not really comparable to normal
commercial CAD packages which provide a vast amount of
additional features.

I suspect focusing on the part that OpenSCAD supports well
gives enough food for creating a tutorial. I think even
the installation instructions could be separate and the
tutorial could focus on people ready to go.
Pretty much covering the topic you mentioned earlier:
Designing models for manufacturing. Where manufacturing
in my mind would be a bit simpler as it may sound, e.g.
including personal 3D printing not so much full complex
system design for a complicated product.

> I have started drafting my proposal for GSoD'19 where I
> intend to include the above-mentioned topics in my
> proposed guide. Please tell me how does it sound.

Thanks, note that the information posted on the official
Google site will be shared only after the deadline. So if
you would like to have some earlier feedback, you'd need
to share it by some extra means here.

ciao,
  Torsten.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
-- Torsten
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New OpenSCAD member- Google Season of Docs

the-ethan-hunt
> I'm not sure we want to pitch OpenSCAD as general substitute.
> It certainly can cover the small part of parametric solid
> modeling quite well, but it's not really comparable to normal
> commercial CAD packages which provide a vast amount of
> additional features.

My point here is that most of the curriculum can also be taught through
OpenSCAD rather than Solidworks/Creo. As a university chair, I would prefer
using free open-source software instead of expensive ones to teach the same
thing: CAD. I do agree that commercial CAD packages do offer a large number
of features but those features were not used when CAD was being taught in
classes supposedly.

I am also enclosing my proposal containing my Plan of Action for the Google
Season of Docs. Please review and suggest what more could be done :).

Cheers
Dhruv GSoD Proposal-2019 by Dhruv Apte
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1A8onUUYUZBdqjYW5jZxO2Wzax3xPN--Ug2bWYlh3zdA/edit?usp=sharing>  



--
Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
tp3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New OpenSCAD member- Google Season of Docs

tp3
On 23.06.19 12:41, the-ethan-hunt wrote:
> As a university chair, I would prefer using free open-source
> software instead of expensive ones to teach the same thing: CAD.

I totally agree with that, not only because of prices, even
more so because of the freedom to use those tools everywhere
and teach them to someone else.

What I meant mostly is that it's great to push for OpenSCAD
in education, but it's much more useful to show where it can
be used easily (hence my pitching of the education topic) and
I think that's not so much the higher level CAD area yet.
One specific example where I've used it myself is to visualize
slightly more complex geometry stuff. E.g. for testing out
some formula needed for a 3d model.
So in essence: Presenting the strength and usefulness instead
of comparing against other tools.

> I am also enclosing my proposal containing my Plan of Action
> for the Google Season of Docs. Please review and suggest
> what more could be done :).

Nice, thanks. I'll have a look, hopefully others will too...

ciao,
  Torsten.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
-- Torsten
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New OpenSCAD member- Google Season of Docs

Ronaldo
In reply to this post by the-ethan-hunt

the-ethan-hunt <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am also enclosing my proposal containing my Plan of Action for the Google
Season of Docs. Please review and suggest what more could be done :).

For higher level usage of OpenSCAD, there are some aspects of the language that requires special attention in my opinion. Its functional nature demands more emphasis in the function role, recursive function in special. Although CSG operations and modules have a more widespread applications, I usually write much more functions than modules. And list comprehension, a topic most OpenSCAD beginner usually disregards, is a must for higher level codes and a companion to recursive functions. I can't imagine how limited OpenSCAD was before the introduction of list comprehension.

Another topic should be explored and emphasized in a more advanced use is the role of polyhedron, an way to create primitives unavailable otherwise. The construction of polyhedron allows the building of otherwise impossible solids involving parametric surfaces as part of its boundary. As there is no surface representation in OpenSCAD (and no 1D curve as well), all surface models requires polyhedron as a way to represent them.

I don't know any other parametric CAD software to compare with. But I think the above mentioned topics would be of prime interest in an educational environment. 

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org