Modelling a flexible strip

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
63 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Modelling a flexible strip

nophead
>However, I don't believe the shape of a bent physical strip in a general setting may be modeled by a cubic arc.

Yes that seems to be the case despite computer splines having their origin in physical splines. I am surprised there isn't an off the shelf solution for a uniform strip because I don't think the shape depends on anything other than the length and the endpoint position and orientation. I.e. I don't think it depends on its stiffness.

On 24 December 2017 at 19:28, Ronaldo Persiano <[hidden email]> wrote:
You are right. The expression of the energy I've been using is an approximation of the bending energy valid only under some strict conditions. As its integral is easily evaluated it is the usual energy expression in the context of geometric modeling.

You need a physical bending energy though and that may be computed with a little more effort applying the expression of curvature found in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curvature#Curvature_of_space_curves to a suitable subdivision refinement of the curve.

​I believe the energy minimizing strategy I devised may still work with the bending energy based on curvature.

However, I don't believe the shape of a bent physical strip in a general setting may be modeled by a cubic arc.

2017-12-22 17:51 GMT-02:00 nop head <[hidden email]>:
>The energy expression of a curve was taken proportional to the integral of its second parametric derivative

I don't think this is right. I think the energy is proportional to the integral of the square of curvature. This is because the potential energy in a spring is a square law due to the force increasing as you bend it.

Also I think curvature is second derivative with respect to arc length, not the parameter.

Reply | Threaded
|

DanS
If the ends are not "close" doesn't a catenary come very near to the actual solution? I agree it goes out the window if the two ends are close.

On Sunday, December 24, 2017, nop head <[hidden email]> wrote:
>However, I don't believe the shape of a bent physical strip in a general setting may be modeled by a cubic arc.

Yes that seems to be the case despite computer splines having their origin in physical splines. I am surprised there isn't an off the shelf solution for a uniform strip because I don't think the shape depends on anything other than the length and the endpoint position and orientation. I.e. I don't think it depends on its stiffness.

You are right. The expression of the energy I've been using is an approximation of the bending energy valid only under some strict conditions. As its integral is easily evaluated it is the usual energy expression in the context of geometric modeling.

You need a physical bending energy though and that may be computed with a little more effort applying the expression of curvature found in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curvature#Curvature_of_space_curves to a suitable subdivision refinement of the curve.

​I believe the energy minimizing strategy I devised may still work with the bending energy based on curvature.

However, I don't believe the shape of a bent physical strip in a general setting may be modeled by a cubic arc.

>The energy expression of a curve was taken proportional to the integral of its second parametric derivative

I don't think this is right. I think the energy is proportional to the integral of the square of curvature. This is because the potential energy in a spring is a square law due to the force increasing as you bend it.

Also I think curvature is second derivative with respect to arc length, not the parameter.

Reply | Threaded
|

nophead
I don't think so. A catenary forms under gravity with an infinitely flexible cord. It is all about tension along the tangent rather than curvature causing stress forces. The equation is a simple integral we did at school. I don't think the minimum energy curve has a simple mathematical formula.

On 24 December 2017 at 23:52, Dan Shriver <[hidden email]> wrote:
If the ends are not "close" doesn't a catenary come very near to the actual solution? I agree it goes out the window if the two ends are close.

On Sunday, December 24, 2017, nop head <[hidden email]> wrote:

Reply | Threaded
|

Ronaldo
In reply to this post by nophead
Here is the code of my atempts to find the cubic with minimum energy.

First note that AdjustBezier() finds the cubic with the desired length keeping the balance between the norms of the cubic endpoint derivatives. The strategy I used in the code was to change this balance in order to reduce the cubic energy. 

// for any cubic bz, it holds bz == balance(bz, 0.5)
function balance(bz,s) =
  [ bz[0],
    bz[0] + 2*s*(bz[1]-bz[0]),
    bz[3] + 2*(1-s)*(bz[2]-bz[3]),
    bz[3] ];

For each balance, the cubic is adjusted to the target length by AdjustBezier() and its energy is calculated. 

function BalancedEnergy(bz, s, l, eps) =
  BzEnergy(AdjustBezier(balance(bz,s), l, eps));

To find the balance that leads to the minimum energy is objective of an iterative search. The search for the cubic with minimum energy is done iteratively narrowing an interval (s1,s2) of balances that contains the best balance.

// Minimum energy Bezier arc with a given length l 
// and given tangent directions at its ends
function BestBz(bz, l, eps=1e-3) =
    let( bz2 = [  bz[0], // normalize end derivatives
                  bz[0]+unit(bz[1]-bz[0]),
                  bz[3]+unit(bz[2]-bz[3]),
                  bz[3] ],
         s1  = eps,
         en1 = BalancedEnergy(bz, s1, l, eps),
         en2 = BalancedEnergy(bz, 1-s1, l, eps),
         s   = _bestS(bz2, l, s1, 1-s1, en1, en2, eps) )
    echo(smin=s)
    AdjustBezier(balance(bz2,s), l);

function _bestS(bz, l, s1, s2, e1, e2, eps=1e-3, n=15) =
  let( s12 = (s1+s2)/2,
       e12 = BalancedEnergy(bz, s12, l, eps))
  //echo("in",s1=s1,s2=s2,s12=s12,e1=e1,e2=e2,e12=e12)
  abs(e12-(e1+e2)/2)/e12< eps ?
    e1<e2 ? s1 : s2 
  :
  let( s3  = max(min(parabMin(s1,s12,s2,e1,e12,e2),1-eps),eps) )
  //echo(s1=s1,s3=s3,s2=s2,e1=e1,e12=e12,e2=e2,n=n)
  abs(s3-s1)<eps || abs(s3-s2)<eps || n==0 ?
    s3
  :
  let( e3 = BalancedEnergy(bz, s3, l, eps) )
  //echo(e3=e3)
  abs(e3-e12)/e12<eps ?
    s3 :
  e3<e12 ?
    s3<s12 ?
      _bestS(bz,l,s1,s12,e1,e12,eps,n-1)
      :
      _bestS(bz,l,s12,s2,e12,e2,eps,n-1)
    :
    s3<s12 ?
      _bestS(bz,l,s3,s2,e3,e2,eps,n-1) 
      :
      _bestS(bz,l,s1,s3,e1,e3,eps,n-1);

The full code is annexed.

In the experiments I have done with the code, the plot of the cubic energy against the balance parameter s has the shape of an U with an almost horizontal bottom. This shows that the effect of medium-sized changes of the optimal balance does not produce significant changes of the cubic energy. In special, in your case of a strip going down from a fixed pole to a moving table clamped point, the optimal balance will change slowly from 0.5 (when the two end points are level) to 1 (when the strip is fully stretched). That means the balance of the cubic endpoint derivatives in the optimal solution is slightly favorable to the fixed point if the strip is never fully stretched. So, your assumption that "keeping the two inner control points level" would do the trick is not confirmed by my results.

2017-12-23 10:44 GMT-02:00 nop head <[hidden email]>:
I don't know if this has a mathematical validity but simple keeping the two inner control points level with each other seems to produce a curve that matches a strip held against the screen fairly well.

The length of the strip is only 9mm longer compared to the version with the control points equidistant below the end points.

MinEnergy3.scad (8K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

nophead
Interesting. I will have to combine with my code and put them side by side. If I put my length and dimension into your code the result looks a lot tighter and doesn't match what my real strip does.

On 25 December 2017 at 17:31, Ronaldo Persiano <[hidden email]> wrote:

First note that AdjustBezier() finds the cubic with the desired length keeping the balance between the norms of the cubic endpoint derivatives. The strategy I used in the code was to change this balance in order to reduce the cubic energy. 

function balance(bz,s) =
  [ bz[0],
    bz[3] ];

For each balance, the cubic is adjusted to the target length by AdjustBezier() and its energy is calculated. 

To find the balance that leads to the minimum energy is objective of an iterative search. The search for the cubic with minimum energy is done iteratively narrowing an interval (s1,s2) of balances that contains the best balance.

bz[0]+unit(bz[1]-bz[0]),
                  bz[3]+unit(bz[2]-bz[3]),
                  bz[3] ],
         s1  = eps,
    echo(smin=s)

let( s12 = (s1+s2)/2,
  :
    s3
  :
  //echo(e3=e3)
  abs(e3-e12)/e12<eps ?
    s3 :
  e3<e12 ?
    s3<s12 ?
      :
    :
    s3<s12 ?
      :

In the experiments I have done with the code, the plot of the cubic energy against the balance parameter s has the shape of an U with an almost horizontal bottom. This shows that the effect of medium-sized changes of the optimal balance does not produce significant changes of the cubic energy. In special, in your case of a strip going down from a fixed pole to a moving table clamped point, the optimal balance will change slowly from 0.5 (when the two end points are level) to 1 (when the strip is fully stretched). That means the balance of the cubic endpoint derivatives in the optimal solution is slightly favorable to the fixed point if the strip is never fully stretched. So, your assumption that "keeping the two inner control points level" would do the trick is not confirmed by my results.

I don't know if this has a mathematical validity but simple keeping the two inner control points level with each other seems to produce a curve that matches a strip held against the screen fairly well.

The length of the strip is only 9mm longer compared to the version with the control points equidistant below the end points.

Reply | Threaded
|

nophead
Here is my curve in red and its control points in blue alongside yours with my actual geometry. Your BzEnergy function returns 12 times the energy for mine which is hard to believe because mine has a more distributed curvature. A strip held against the screen follows mine, not yours, so I think there must be a bug in your energy function.

On 26 December 2017 at 14:17, nop head <[hidden email]> wrote:
Interesting. I will have to combine with my code and put them side by side. If I put my length and dimension into your code the result looks a lot tighter and doesn't match what my real strip does.

function balance(bz,s) =
  [ bz[0],
    bz[3] ];

bz[0]+unit(bz[1]-bz[0]),
                  bz[3]+unit(bz[2]-bz[3]),
                  bz[3] ],
         s1  = eps,
    echo(smin=s)

let( s12 = (s1+s2)/2,
  :
    s3
  :
  //echo(e3=e3)
  abs(e3-e12)/e12<eps ?
    s3 :
  e3<e12 ?
    s3<s12 ?
      :
    :
    s3<s12 ?
      :

Reply | Threaded
|

nophead
Whoops

On 26 December 2017 at 15:31, nop head <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here is my curve in red and its control points in blue alongside yours with my actual geometry. Your BzEnergy function returns 12 times the energy for mine which is hard to believe because mine has a more distributed curvature. A strip held against the screen follows mine, not yours, so I think there must be a bug in your energy function.

function balance(bz,s) =
  [ bz[0],
    bz[3] ];

bz[0]+unit(bz[1]-bz[0]),
                  bz[3]+unit(bz[2]-bz[3]),
                  bz[3] ],
         s1  = eps,
    echo(smin=s)

let( s12 = (s1+s2)/2,
  :
    s3
  :
  //echo(e3=e3)
  abs(e3-e12)/e12<eps ?
    s3 :
  e3<e12 ?
    s3<s12 ?
      :
    :
    s3<s12 ?
      :

Reply | Threaded
|

Ronaldo
Would you mind to provide me the geometric data (endpoint coordinates and strip length) of this case?

2017-12-26 13:32 GMT-02:00 nop head <[hidden email]>:
Whoops

function balance(bz,s) =
  [ bz[0],
    bz[3] ];

bz[0]+unit(bz[1]-bz[0]),
                  bz[3]+unit(bz[2]-bz[3]),
                  bz[3] ],
         s1  = eps,
    echo(smin=s)

let( s12 = (s1+s2)/2,
  :
    s3
  :
  //echo(e3=e3)
  abs(e3-e12)/e12<eps ?
    s3 :
  e3<e12 ?
    s3<s12 ?
      :
    :
    s3<s12 ?
      :

Reply | Threaded
|

nophead
The starting point is:

bzcp=[[0, 0, 0], [0, 0, -125.85], [0, 79.721, -125.85], [0, 79.721, -108.35]];
length=180;

After I adjust the control points for length I get  [[0, 0, 0], [0, 0, -139.685], [0, 79.721, -139.685], [0, 79.721, -108.35]]

On 26 December 2017 at 16:15, Ronaldo Persiano <[hidden email]> wrote:
Would you mind to provide me the geometric data (endpoint coordinates and strip length) of this case?

Whoops

function balance(bz,s) =
  [ bz[0],
    bz[3] ];

bz[0]+unit(bz[1]-bz[0]),
                  bz[3]+unit(bz[2]-bz[3]),
                  bz[3] ],
         s1  = eps,
    echo(smin=s)

let( s12 = (s1+s2)/2,
  :
    s3
  :
  //echo(e3=e3)
  abs(e3-e12)/e12<eps ?
    s3 :
  e3<e12 ?
    s3<s12 ?
      :
    :
    s3<s12 ?
      :

Reply | Threaded
|

Ronaldo
You are right. The energy function was wrong. At some point, I have made some change in it.

The correct (I hope) energy function should be:

function BzEnergy(b, n=8) =
  let( bs = subdivBezier3(b, n) )
  [for(i=[0:3:len(bs)-1]) pow(curvature(bs,i),2)]
  *[for(i=[0:3:len(bs)-1]) 1]/pow(2,n-1);

With this function, the plot of the cubic energy as a function of the balance s has a sharper minimum what is more reasonable.

I will try your data and compare.

2017-12-26 14:21 GMT-02:00 nop head <[hidden email]>:
The starting point is:

length=180;

After I adjust the control points for length I get  [[0, 0, 0], [0, 0, -139.685], [0, 79.721, -139.685], [0, 79.721, -108.35]]

Whoops

function balance(bz,s) =
  [ bz[0],
    bz[3] ];

bz[0]+unit(bz[1]-bz[0]),
                  bz[3]+unit(bz[2]-bz[3]),
                  bz[3] ],
         s1  = eps,
    echo(smin=s)

let( s12 = (s1+s2)/2,
  :
    s3
  :
  //echo(e3=e3)
  abs(e3-e12)/e12<eps ?
    s3 :
  e3<e12 ?
    s3<s12 ?
      :
    :
    s3<s12 ?
      :

Reply | Threaded
|

nophead
With that function your curve is nearly the same as mine and the energy is only 0.5% lower.

On 26 December 2017 at 16:47, Ronaldo Persiano <[hidden email]> wrote:
You are right. The energy function was wrong. At some point, I have made some change in it.

With this function, the plot of the cubic energy as a function of the balance s has a sharper minimum what is more reasonable.

The starting point is:

length=180;

Whoops

function balance(bz,s) =
  [ bz[0],
    bz[3] ];

bz[0]+unit(bz[1]-bz[0]),
                  bz[3]+unit(bz[2]-bz[3]),
                  bz[3] ],
         s1  = eps,
    echo(smin=s)

let( s12 = (s1+s2)/2,
  :
    s3
  :
  //echo(e3=e3)
  abs(e3-e12)/e12<eps ?
    s3 :
  e3<e12 ?
    s3<s12 ?
      :
    :
    s3<s12 ?
      :

Reply | Threaded
|

Ronaldo
Yes. However the two inner Bezier points are not level when the table travels up.

2017-12-26 14:51 GMT-02:00 nop head <[hidden email]>:
With that function your curve is nearly the same as mine and the energy is only 0.5% lower.

The starting point is:

length=180;

Whoops

function balance(bz,s) =
  [ bz[0],
    bz[3] ];

bz[0]+unit(bz[1]-bz[0]),
                  bz[3]+unit(bz[2]-bz[3]),
                  bz[3] ],
         s1  = eps,
    echo(smin=s)

let( s12 = (s1+s2)/2,
  :
    s3
  :
  //echo(e3=e3)
  abs(e3-e12)/e12<eps ?
    s3 :
  e3<e12 ?
    s3<s12 ?
      :
    :
    s3<s12 ?
      :

Reply | Threaded
|

Ronaldo
How far is my solution from the shape of the real strip? 

Em 26 de dez de 2017 14:57, "Ronaldo Persiano" <[hidden email]> escreveu:
Yes. However the two inner Bezier points are not level when the table travels up.

The starting point is:

length=180;

Whoops

function balance(bz,s) =
  [ bz[0],
    bz[3] ];

bz[0]+unit(bz[1]-bz[0]),
                  bz[3]+unit(bz[2]-bz[3]),
                  bz[3] ],
         s1  = eps,
    echo(smin=s)

let( s12 = (s1+s2)/2,
  :
    s3
  :
  //echo(e3=e3)
  abs(e3-e12)/e12<eps ?
    s3 :
  e3<e12 ?
    s3<s12 ?
      :
    :
    s3<s12 ?
      :

Reply | Threaded
|

nophead
With the new function they are so close it is hard to tell. They match exactly when the ends are level, drift out about 3.5% on energy half way up and then get close again at the top. If I was to call it I think yours is the most accurate to the strip but mine is accurate enough at the end points, which is only case that needs to be accurate for the BOM. Particularly as the critical prediction is the length to get the correct minimum Z. The minimum z is only 0.2mm different.

It is very odd that they converge exactly just before my end point and then diverge rapidly again.

With this
h= 108*$t;
bzcp=[[0,0,0],[0,0,-50],[78,0,-50-h],[78,0,-h]];
bzcp=[[0, 0, 0], [0, 0, -125.85], [0, 79.721, -125.85], [0, 79.721, h]];

They converge around about t = 0.945. Very odd.

On 26 December 2017 at 17:06, Ronaldo Persiano <[hidden email]> wrote:

The starting point is:

length=180;

Whoops

function balance(bz,s) =
  [ bz[0],
    bz[3] ];

bz[0]+unit(bz[1]-bz[0]),
                  bz[3]+unit(bz[2]-bz[3]),
                  bz[3] ],
         s1  = eps,
    echo(smin=s)

let( s12 = (s1+s2)/2,
  :
    s3
  :
  //echo(e3=e3)
  abs(e3-e12)/e12<eps ?
    s3 :
  e3<e12 ?
    s3<s12 ?
      :
    :
    s3<s12 ?
      :

Reply | Threaded
|

Ronaldo
It is not odd to me. It was a coincidence that you get an almost level inner control points at the table lower position with the given length you have chosen. The factor that changes the bending energy for a given length is the balance between the two endpoint derivative and not the inner point positions. Along the table path from top to bottom the balance goes from 0.5 to 0.798 and that is what maters.

2017-12-26 15:33 GMT-02:00 nop head <[hidden email]>:
With the new function they are so close it is hard to tell. They match exactly when the ends are level, drift out about 3.5% on energy half way up and then get close again at the top. If I was to call it I think yours is the most accurate to the strip but mine is accurate enough at the end points, which is only case that needs to be accurate for the BOM. Particularly as the critical prediction is the length to get the correct minimum Z. The minimum z is only 0.2mm different.

It is very odd that they converge exactly just before my end point and then diverge rapidly again.

With this
h= 108*$t;

The starting point is:

length=180;

Whoops

function balance(bz,s) =
  [ bz[0],
    bz[3] ];

bz[0]+unit(bz[1]-bz[0]),
                  bz[3]+unit(bz[2]-bz[3]),
                  bz[3] ],
         s1  = eps,
    echo(smin=s)

let( s12 = (s1+s2)/2,
  :
    s3
  :
  //echo(e3=e3)
  abs(e3-e12)/e12<eps ?
    s3 :
  e3<e12 ?
    s3<s12 ?
      :
    :
    s3<s12 ?
      :

Reply | Threaded
|

nophead
Although your s value covers that range your control points are never far from level and the curves are never much different in shape or minimum z over the full movement. What I find odd is both versions exactly match at three points. No surprise they match in the middle.

For my code to work I need to start with the control points level because I adjust them as follows

function adjust_bezier(v, r) = let(extension = (v[1] - v[0]) * (r - 1))
    [v[0], v[1] + extension, v[2] + extension, v[3]];

Your code works with my control points. If I give it control points that have equal endpoint lengths like your original code then it produces a slightly different result that actually has higher energy at the end point than mine.

E.g.
bzcp=[[0, 0, 0], [0, 0, -125.85], [0, 79.721, -125.85 + h], [0, 79.721, h]];
bzcp2=[[0, 0, 0], [0, 0, -125.85], [0, 79.721, -125.85], [0, 79.721, h]];

It gives a slightly lower energy result staring with bzcp2 when h = 108. Probably a numerical accuracy issue.

I made a video and that seems to show some numerical instability.

https://youtu.be/6t8Taul_4Rw

On 26 December 2017 at 17:59, Ronaldo Persiano <[hidden email]> wrote:
It is not odd to me. It was a coincidence that you get an almost level inner control points at the table lower position with the given length you have chosen. The factor that changes the bending energy for a given length is the balance between the two endpoint derivative and not the inner point positions. Along the table path from top to bottom the balance goes from 0.5 to 0.798 and that is what maters.

With this
h= 108*$t;

The starting point is:

length=180;

Whoops

function balance(bz,s) =
  [ bz[0],
    bz[3] ];

bz[0]+unit(bz[1]-bz[0]),
                  bz[3]+unit(bz[2]-bz[3]),
                  bz[3] ],
         s1  = eps,
    echo(smin=s)

let( s12 = (s1+s2)/2,
  :
    s3
  :
  //echo(e3=e3)
  abs(e3-e12)/e12<eps ?
    s3 :
  e3<e12 ?
    s3<s12 ?
      :
    :
    s3<s12 ?
      :

Reply | Threaded
|

nophead
I think subdivBezier3 may have a bug in it. It seems to produce a path that has segments with zero curvature. I.e. subtracting adjacent tangents produces zero. E.g.

path = subdivBezier3(bezier, 4);
for(i = [1 : len(path) -2])
    echo(path[i+1]-path[2] - (path[i]-path[i-1]));

ECHO: [0, 0.31141, 0.258989]

ECHO: [0, 0.31141, 0.258989]

ECHO: [0, 0.272484, 0.272173]

ECHO: [0, 0, -3.55271e-015]

ECHO: [0, 0.272484, 0.272173]

ECHO: [0, 0.233558, 0.285357]

ECHO: [0, 0, 0]

ECHO: [0, 0.233558, 0.285357]

ECHO: [0, 0.194631, 0.29854]

ECHO: [0, 0.194631, 0.29854]

ECHO: [0, 0.155705, 0.311724]

ECHO: [0, 0, 7.10543e-015]

ECHO: [0, 0.155705, 0.311724]

ECHO: [0, 0.116779, 0.324907]

ECHO: [0, 3.55271e-015, -7.10543e-015]

ECHO: [0, 0.116779, 0.324907]

ECHO: [0, 0.0778525, 0.338091]

ECHO: [0, 3.55271e-015, 0]

ECHO: [0, 0.0778525, 0.338091]

ECHO: [0, 0.0389263, 0.351274]

ECHO: [0, 7.10543e-015, 0]

ECHO: [0, 0.0389263, 0.351274]

ECHO: [0, 0, 0.364458]

ECHO: [0, 0, 0.364458]

ECHO: [0, -0.0389263, 0.377642]

ECHO: [0, -0.0389263, 0.377642]

ECHO: [0, -0.0778525, 0.390825]

ECHO: [0, 0, -7.10543e-015]

ECHO: [0, -0.0778525, 0.390825]

ECHO: [0, -0.116779, 0.404009]

ECHO: [0, -0.116779, 0.404009]

ECHO: [0, -0.155705, 0.417192]

ECHO: [0, -1.42109e-014, 1.77636e-015]

ECHO: [0, -0.155705, 0.417192]

ECHO: [0, -0.194631, 0.430376]

ECHO: [0, 0, 1.77636e-015]

ECHO: [0, -0.194631, 0.430376]

ECHO: [0, -0.233558, 0.44356]

ECHO: [0, -0.233558, 0.44356]

ECHO: [0, -0.272484, 0.456743]

ECHO: [0, 0, -7.10543e-015]

ECHO: [0, -0.272484, 0.456743]

ECHO: [0, -0.31141, 0.469927]

ECHO: [0, -0.31141, 0.469927]

There shouldn't be any zero curvature sections in this curve.

On 26 December 2017 at 20:58, nop head <[hidden email]> wrote:
Although your s value covers that range your control points are never far from level and the curves are never much different in shape or minimum z over the full movement. What I find odd is both versions exactly match at three points. No surprise they match in the middle.

For my code to work I need to start with the control points level because I adjust them as follows

function adjust_bezier(v, r) = let(extension = (v[1] - v[0]) * (r - 1))
    [v[0], v[1] + extension, v[2] + extension, v[3]];

Your code works with my control points. If I give it control points that have equal endpoint lengths like your original code then it produces a slightly different result that actually has higher energy at the end point than mine.

E.g.
bzcp=[[0, 0, 0], [0, 0, -125.85], [0, 79.721, -125.85 + h], [0, 79.721, h]];
bzcp2=[[0, 0, 0], [0, 0, -125.85], [0, 79.721, -125.85], [0, 79.721, h]];

It gives a slightly lower energy result staring with bzcp2 when h = 108. Probably a numerical accuracy issue.

I made a video and that seems to show some numerical instability.

https://youtu.be/6t8Taul_4Rw

On 26 December 2017 at 17:59, Ronaldo Persiano <[hidden email]> wrote:

With this
h= 108*$t;

The starting point is:

length=180;

Whoops

function balance(bz,s) =
  [ bz[0],
    bz[3] ];

bz[0]+unit(bz[1]-bz[0]),
                  bz[3]+unit(bz[2]-bz[3]),
                  bz[3] ],
         s1  = eps,
    echo(smin=s)

let( s12 = (s1+s2)/2,
  :
    s3
  :
  //echo(e3=e3)
  abs(e3-e12)/e12<eps ?
    s3 :
  e3<e12 ?
    s3<s12 ?
      :
    :
    s3<s12 ?
      :

Reply | Threaded
|

Ronaldo
There is a small typo in your last code. Anyway, the output of 
subdivBezier3() should be fully understood in order to compute the curvature correctly. 

color("green")
ShowBezier(bzcp,t=0.5);
ShowPolygonal(bzcp,t=0.7);
sbz = subdivBezier3(bzcp,n=2);
for(i=[0:len(sbz)-1])
  translate(sbz[i]) 
  if(i%3) color("red") sphere(1.5);
  else color("blue")   sphere(1.5);

​The dots are the points of the sequence generated by ​
subdivBezier3(). The four dots between (and including) two subsequent blue dots are the control points of the arc going from one to the other. The curvature at each blue dot may be computed either by considering the two subsequent red dots or the two previous ones. If you take a blue dot, one before and one after, a zero curvature would result because those three points are always colinear. I don't see any bug there.

The numerical instability may be in the _bestS() code, the method of finding the energy minimizing curve. I am looking for a bug there.

2017-12-27 8:34 GMT-02:00 nop head <[hidden email]>:
I think
​​
subdivBezier3 may have a bug in it. It seems to produce a path that has segments with zero curvature. I.e. subtracting adjacent tangents produces zero. E.g.

path =
​​
subdivBezier3(bezier, 4);

Reply | Threaded
|

nophead
Yes there is an erroneous 2 in my code but the output I posted was correct.

The confusing thing is you draw the Bezier curve with the results from subdivBezier3 but its output isn't a Bezier curve. To speed up drawing I passed it to my Frenet sweep and it choked.

On 27 December 2017 at 14:33, Ronaldo Persiano <[hidden email]> wrote:
subdivBezier3() should be fully understood in order to compute the curvature correctly. 

color("green")
ShowBezier(bzcp,t=0.5);
  translate(sbz[i]) 

subdivBezier3(). The four dots between (and including) two subsequent blue dots are the control points of the arc going from one to the other. The curvature at each blue dot may be computed either by considering the two subsequent red dots or the two previous ones. If you take a blue dot, one before and one after, a zero curvature would result because those three points are always colinear. I don't see any bug there.

The numerical instability may be in the _bestS() code, the method of finding the energy minimizing curve. I am looking for a bug there.

I think
​​
subdivBezier3 may have a bug in it. It seems to produce a path that has segments with zero curvature. I.e. subtracting adjacent tangents produces zero. E.g.

path =
​​

Reply | Threaded
|

Ronaldo
The result of subdivBezier3() is not a sequence of points in the curve. It is a sequence of control points of partial arcs of the incoming curve. So, just a third of its points are actually on the curve. You will have troubles computing Frenet frame for the sequence because there are many sub-sequences of 3 co-linear points in it. The sequence generated by subdivBezier3(bz,n) is a polygonal that approximates the curve. The greater the value of n the better is the approximation. The sequence length grows exponentially with n, though. It is faster to subdivide than to evaluate an equal number of points points in the curve and the convergence rate is better.

2017-12-27 13:52 GMT-02:00 nop head <[hidden email]>:
Yes there is an erroneous 2 in my code but the output I posted was correct.

The confusing thing is you draw the Bezier curve with the results from subdivBezier3 but its output isn't a Bezier curve. To speed up drawing I passed it to my Frenet sweep and it choked.

On 27 December 2017 at 14:33, Ronaldo Persiano <[hidden email]> wrote:

color("green")
ShowBezier(bzcp,t=0.5);
  translate(sbz[i]) 

I think
​​

path =
​​