Modelling a flexible strip

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
63 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Modelling a flexible strip

nophead
I just held a real strip up to my monitor and can see it quite different at the extremes, so yes I would be interested to see your minimum energy solution please Ronaldo.

On 19 December 2017 at 22:19, nop head <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Ronaldo,
  Thanks for your input. I tried dropping in your changes to my code but didn't see any noticeable speed improvement. I think this is because I had already made the length function faster by only using 100 segments instead of 1000. I also calculate the target length to give the minimum z that is allowed by adjusting the control points until it droops the correct amount.

My code currently takes 20 seconds because I added the ribbon cable and sweep each wire separately because they take different paths at the fold. I also model the veroboard terminations including tracks, breaks and solder menisci! I think the time for the Bezier calculation is swamped by 20 sweeps. I used Frenet-Serret for the strip because it has two vertical sections that the minimum angle solution doesn't like. I used minimum angle for the cable because Frenet-Serret goes wild when the at the fold.

Yes I think you are correct saying the optimum starting angle is not straight down but I am not sure if that is worth changing.  I still need to see how accurate it is against a real strip.

On 18 December 2017 at 12:23, Ronaldo Persiano <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have been struggling with this problem for a while. I will not go into the details of the energy minimizing problem here and will just address the problem of finding the Bezier arc with a given length, given its end points and its tangent directions at the endpoints. The function AdjustBezier() provided by Torleif is inefficient for this task requiring a lot of adjustment.

The main idea of Torleif solution is to adjust the Bezier arc endpoints derivatives until the required length is attained. The adjustment is done by:

function adjust1(p, r) =
  [ p[0], p[0]+(p[1]-p[0])*r, p[3]+(p[2]-p[3])*r , p[3] ];

where p is the incoming Bezier control points and r is the adjustment parameter. So, the problem is to find the parameter r such that:

len3bz(adjust(p,r)) == length

where len3bz() is the function that estimates a Bezier arc length.

I have observed that the length of the Bezier arc is fairly linear with respect to the parameter r and the following code explores it:

function AdjustBezier(p, l, eps=0.001, r1=10, r2=12, l1, l2)=
  let( l1 = l1!=undef? l1: len3bz(adjust1(p,r1), eps),
       l2 = l2!=undef? l2: len3bz(adjust1(p,r2), eps) )
  abs(l1-l)<eps ?
    adjust1(p,r1)
    :
    let( r = r1 + (l-l1)*(r2-r1)/(l2-l1) )
    abs(r-r1)<abs(r-r2) ?
      AdjustBezier(p, l, eps, r, r1, undef, l1)
      :
      AdjustBezier(p, l, eps, r, r2, undef, l2);

This function requires very few steps compared with Torleif's one which is very lengthy when the solution is almost stretched.

Next, I have considered the time consuming function len3bz(). I approached this by Bezier subdivision instead of a fixed sample of Bezier evaluations. The resulting code is a bit longer but it is more efficient.

function len3bz(bz, eps=0.001) =
  let( l1 = polygonalLength(bz, ceil(-log(eps))),
       l2 = polygonalLength([for(i=[0:3:len(bz)-1]) bz[i]], ceil(-log(eps))) )
  l1-l2<eps ?
    (l1+l2)/2
    :
    len3bz(subdivBezier3(bz, 1), eps);

function polygonalLength(p) =
  let( l = [for(i=[1:len(p)-1]) norm(p[i]-p[i-1]) ] )
  l*[for(i=[0:len(l)-1]) 1];

function subdivBezier3(p, n=3) =
  n==0 ?
    p
    :
    subdivBezier3( concat([for(i=[0:3:len(p)-4], 
                               s=[_subdivB(p,i)], 
                               j=[0:len(s)-2] ) s[j] ], 
                          [p[len(p)-1] ] ),
                  n-1);

function _subdivB(p, from=0) =
      [ [1,0,0,0],
        [1/2,1/2,0,0],
        [1/4,1/2,1/4,0],
        [1/8,3/8, 3/8, 1/8],
        [0, 1/4,1/2,1/4],
        [0, 0, 1/2,1/2],
        [0, 0, 0, 1]  ] 
      * [p[from], p[from+1], p[from+2], p[from+3] ];

I have addressed the problem of finding the minimum energy Bezier arc too. I have a version that is reasonable fast now requiring between 1 to 2 sec for each step of an animation similar to nophead's one. I don't believe that material is of broad interest but anyone interested in it may contact me by PM.

BTW, I think nophead could reduce the polypropylene strip strain by giving it a little slope in the table end instead of driving it vertically.

2017-12-07 10:22 GMT-02:00 nop head <[hidden email]>:
Yes I suspect the bend radius would be a bit bigger in real life, closer to an arc. The cable is ribbon, so not stiff at all but I bend it around a 0.8mm thick polypropylene strip to distribute the bending. It is the strip I am trying to model. It works like a cable chain for ribbon but is a lot more compact and cheaper. Without it ribbon tends to bend too much at the attachment points.

The model needs to predict the length to make the strip as that goes on the BOM. The length should be as long as possible without hitting the bottom as it would buckle if it did. Using Bezier my guess is it is a bit shorter than it could be. If it is not too much that will be OK but if it is grossly wrong then the strip is tighter than it needs to be so is not good for cable life.

When I get home I will mock it up and see if it is accurate enough. If not I will try to work out a minimum energy solution using finite elements. It is after all drawn with 100 finite elements so I can easily calculate the bend at each joint. The tricky bit is moving the joints to minimise the energy.

On 7 December 2017 at 10:31, <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 2017-12-05 23:01, nop head wrote:
Yes it is a bit tight, which is why I modelled it. The problem is it
needs to not hit the shelf below that covers the electronics. It only
cycles once per build so I think I will get away with it. I have used
ribbons on X and Y that move millions of times in a build.

Nice video, although the cable deformation is somewhat unrealistic.

If knowing the true shape was critical, it would require non-linear finite element analysis. Someone mentioned a catenary, but this cable is much stiffer than a catenary (essentially no bending stiffness). The problem is quite similar to analyzing flexible risers used on the offshore industry. Non-negligible bending stiffness, large deformations, boundary conditions at the ends.

Still the simplified approximation was quite ok for a demo.

Carsten Arnholm

Reply | Threaded
|

Len Trigg
In reply to this post by nophead
As a long-time happy builder/user of a Mendel90, I must say I love seeing these sneak peeks at what you're cooking up next, and it continually impresses me how thorough you are with your OpenSCAD designs!

Cheers,
Len.

On 20 December 2017 at 11:19, nop head <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Ronaldo,
  Thanks for your input. I tried dropping in your changes to my code but didn't see any noticeable speed improvement. I think this is because I had already made the length function faster by only using 100 segments instead of 1000. I also calculate the target length to give the minimum z that is allowed by adjusting the control points until it droops the correct amount.

My code currently takes 20 seconds because I added the ribbon cable and sweep each wire separately because they take different paths at the fold. I also model the veroboard terminations including tracks, breaks and solder menisci! I think the time for the Bezier calculation is swamped by 20 sweeps. I used Frenet-Serret for the strip because it has two vertical sections that the minimum angle solution doesn't like. I used minimum angle for the cable because Frenet-Serret goes wild when the at the fold.

Yes I think you are correct saying the optimum starting angle is not straight down but I am not sure if that is worth changing.  I still need to see how accurate it is against a real strip.

I have been struggling with this problem for a while. I will not go into the details of the energy minimizing problem here and will just address the problem of finding the Bezier arc with a given length, given its end points and its tangent directions at the endpoints. The function AdjustBezier() provided by Torleif is inefficient for this task requiring a lot of adjustment.

The main idea of Torleif solution is to adjust the Bezier arc endpoints derivatives until the required length is attained. The adjustment is done by:

function adjust1(p, r) =

where p is the incoming Bezier control points and r is the adjustment parameter. So, the problem is to find the parameter r such that:

I have observed that the length of the Bezier arc is fairly linear with respect to the parameter r and the following code explores it:

abs(l1-l)<eps ?
    adjust1(p,r1)
    :
    abs(r-r1)<abs(r-r2) ?
      :

This function requires very few steps compared with Torleif's one which is very lengthy when the solution is almost stretched.

Next, I have considered the time consuming function len3bz(). I approached this by Bezier subdivision instead of a fixed sample of Bezier evaluations. The resulting code is a bit longer but it is more efficient.

l1-l2<eps ?
    (l1+l2)/2
    :

n==0 ?
    p
    :
                               s=[_subdivB(p,i)], 
                          [p[len(p)-1] ] ),
                  n-1);

[ [1,0,0,0],
        [1/2,1/2,0,0],
        [1/4,1/2,1/4,0],
        [1/8,3/8, 3/8, 1/8],
        [0, 1/4,1/2,1/4],
        [0, 0, 1/2,1/2],
        [0, 0, 0, 1]  ] 

I have addressed the problem of finding the minimum energy Bezier arc too. I have a version that is reasonable fast now requiring between 1 to 2 sec for each step of an animation similar to nophead's one. I don't believe that material is of broad interest but anyone interested in it may contact me by PM.

BTW, I think nophead could reduce the polypropylene strip strain by giving it a little slope in the table end instead of driving it vertically.

Yes I suspect the bend radius would be a bit bigger in real life, closer to an arc. The cable is ribbon, so not stiff at all but I bend it around a 0.8mm thick polypropylene strip to distribute the bending. It is the strip I am trying to model. It works like a cable chain for ribbon but is a lot more compact and cheaper. Without it ribbon tends to bend too much at the attachment points.

The model needs to predict the length to make the strip as that goes on the BOM. The length should be as long as possible without hitting the bottom as it would buckle if it did. Using Bezier my guess is it is a bit shorter than it could be. If it is not too much that will be OK but if it is grossly wrong then the strip is tighter than it needs to be so is not good for cable life.

When I get home I will mock it up and see if it is accurate enough. If not I will try to work out a minimum energy solution using finite elements. It is after all drawn with 100 finite elements so I can easily calculate the bend at each joint. The tricky bit is moving the joints to minimise the energy.

If knowing the true shape was critical, it would require non-linear finite element analysis. Someone mentioned a catenary, but this cable is much stiffer than a catenary (essentially no bending stiffness). The problem is quite similar to analyzing flexible risers used on the offshore industry. Non-negligible bending stiffness, large deformations, boundary conditions at the ends.

Carsten Arnholm

Reply | Threaded
|

MichaelAtOz
Administrator
Good to see foldback clips are still state-of-the-art for printing plate
attachment.

-----
Admin - PM me if you need anything, or if I've done something stupid...

Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work. Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.

The TPP is no simple “trade agreement.”   Fight it! http://www.ourfairdeal.org/   time is running out!
--
Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/

Admin - email* me if you need anything,
or if I've done something stupid...
* click on my MichaelAtOz label, there is a link to email me.

Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work.
Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.

The TPP is no simple “trade agreement.” Fight it! http://www.ourfairdeal.org/ time is running out!
Reply | Threaded
|

codifies
nah print on masking tape, with gobs of that holding down my plate who
needs clips!

On 20/12/17 04:30, MichaelAtOz wrote:
> foldback clips

Reply | Threaded
|

Ronaldo
Unfortunately, I am away home and haven't took my notebook with me. You will have to wait till after Christmas...

I can tell you the general principles, though. The energy expression of a curve was taken proportional to the integral of its second parametric derivative. Using Maxima, I found the energy of a cubic arc may be computed by: 

d0*d0 + d0*d1 + d1*d1

where d0 and d1 are the second parametric derivatives at the ends of the arc.

In order to change the arc to minimize its energy, I have used the following adjustment:

function adjust2(bz, s) =
  [ [ bz[0],
      bz[0] + 2*(1-s)*(b[1]-bz[0]),
      bz[3] + 2*s*(b[2]-bz[3]),
      bz[3] ];

where s is a real parameter in [0,1]. The parameter s changes the balance between the two end derivatives of the arc. In special, adjust2(bz, 0.5) == bz.

Plotting the energy of an adjusted arc as a function of s in [0,1], I found that it has no other local minimum besides the global minimum. The energy minimizing process is a recursive algorithm that starts with an interval of s values (s0, s1) that contains the minimum s, finds an approximation of the minimum and a narrower interval to recur. To find an approximation, I interpolate a quadratic polynomial to the points s0, (s0+s1)/2 and s1 and find its minimum. For each s whose energy is needed, the arc is adjusted to the proper length by AdujstBezier.

2017-12-19 20:39 GMT-02:00 nop head <[hidden email]>:
I just held a real strip up to my monitor and can see it quite different at the extremes, so yes I would be interested to see your minimum energy solution please Ronaldo.

On 19 December 2017 at 22:19, nop head <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Ronaldo,

function adjust1(p, r) =

abs(l1-l)<eps ?
    adjust1(p,r1)
    :
    abs(r-r1)<abs(r-r2) ?
      :

l1-l2<eps ?
    (l1+l2)/2
    :

n==0 ?
    p
    :
                               s=[_subdivB(p,i)], 
                          [p[len(p)-1] ] ),
                  n-1);

[ [1,0,0,0],
        [1/2,1/2,0,0],
        [1/4,1/2,1/4,0],
        [1/8,3/8, 3/8, 1/8],
        [0, 1/4,1/2,1/4],
        [0, 0, 1/2,1/2],
        [0, 0, 0, 1]  ] 

Carsten Arnholm

Reply | Threaded
|

Ronaldo
2017-12-19 20:19 GMT-02:00 nop head <[hidden email]>:
 I used Frenet-Serret for the strip because it has two vertical sections that the minimum angle solution doesn't like. I used minimum angle for the cable because Frenet-Serret goes wild when the at the fold.

​Yes, the original Oskar Linde´s sweep may generate very wild twists in some vertical path ​segments. You may find useful a version I wrote based on Oskar Linde's suggestions that have never being included in his original code. It can be found in https://github.com/RonaldoCMP/list-comprehension-demos/blob/master/sweep.scad. It works fine and better than Frenet frames.

Reply | Threaded
|

nophead
Thanks I will have a dabble with that if I have time over Christmas. I have been working on this project for more than a year and tend to do it while on holiday so there really is no urgency!

On 20 December 2017 at 18:02, Ronaldo Persiano <[hidden email]> wrote:
 I used Frenet-Serret for the strip because it has two vertical sections that the minimum angle solution doesn't like. I used minimum angle for the cable because Frenet-Serret goes wild when the at the fold.

​Yes, the original Oskar Linde´s sweep may generate very wild twists in some vertical path ​segments. You may find useful a version I wrote based on Oskar Linde's suggestions that have never being included in his original code. It can be found in https://github.com/RonaldoCMP/list-comprehension-demos/blob/master/sweep.scad. It works fine and better than Frenet frames.

Reply | Threaded
|

RevarBat
I ran into that issue with vertical sections of my sweeps as well. I fixed it by changing my code to use quaternions instead of Euler angles. 

- Revar

On Dec 20, 2017, at 10:12 AM, nop head <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks I will have a dabble with that if I have time over Christmas. I have been working on this project for more than a year and tend to do it while on holiday so there really is no urgency!

On 20 December 2017 at 18:02, Ronaldo Persiano <[hidden email]> wrote:

Reply | Threaded
|

Ronaldo
The sweep.scad code doesn't compute rotations from angles. The rotation unstability on vertical segments results from computing the section rotations globally. The alternative code instead computes the global section rotation by composing small local rotations from one path point to the next. 

2017-12-20 17:53 GMT-02:00 Revar Desmera <[hidden email]>:
I ran into that issue with vertical sections of my sweeps as well. I fixed it by changing my code to use quaternions instead of Euler angles. 

- Revar

Reply | Threaded
|

nophead
>The energy expression of a curve was taken proportional to the integral of its second parametric derivative

I don't think this is right. I think the energy is proportional to the integral of the square of curvature. This is because the potential energy in a spring is a square law due to the force increasing as you bend it.

Also I think curvature is second derivative with respect to arc length, not the parameter.

On 20 December 2017 at 20:07, Ronaldo Persiano <[hidden email]> wrote:
The sweep.scad code doesn't compute rotations from angles. The rotation unstability on vertical segments results from computing the section rotations globally. The alternative code instead computes the global section rotation by composing small local rotations from one path point to the next. 

2017-12-20 17:53 GMT-02:00 Revar Desmera <[hidden email]>:

- Revar

Reply | Threaded
|

Neon22
In reply to this post by Ronaldo

I just wish we could add these lofting and sweeps to the base distro - with docs :)

On 12/21/2017 7:02 AM, Ronaldo Persiano wrote:

tp3
Reply | Threaded
|

tp3
On 22.12.2017 21:34, Mark Schafer wrote:
> I just wish we could add these lofting and sweeps to the base
> distro - with docs :)
>
I'm sure pretty much everyone can agree on that.

I'd love to help with that, but my math knowledge is not nearly
good enough to do that. Are there any pointers to tutorials that
would help understand what's needed?

So far I only found basic 3d tutorials or scientific papers that
are not comprehensible to me. Somehow the path from basic stuff
to the more advanced topics has a huge gap with not much
explanation on how to get to the other side.

ciao,
  Torsten.

-- Torsten
Reply | Threaded
|

nophead
Are we taking about sweeps and lofts or modelling a strip with minimum bend energy?

I find the former easy enough to understand but the latter is the stuff of scientific papers that go over my head. I was disappointed to find it doesn't have a simple formula like a catenary does.

On 22 December 2017 at 21:21, Torsten Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just wish we could add these lofting and sweeps to the base
> distro - with docs :)
>

ciao,
  Torsten.

Reply | Threaded
|

Neon22
In reply to this post by tp3
IMHO OpenSCAD is missing a line primitive which could enable a lot of this.
The line would be a set of edges pointing to vertices. much like polygon()
Then sweep, loft, objects of revolution, etc could use this "line" as input.

Likewise you could slice (projection()) an object to generate a line for
internal use. To close the circle as it were.

Line() could generate a solid object in much the same way polyhedron and
linear_extrude() do if used on its own.

On 12/23/2017 10:21 AM, Torsten Paul wrote:

> On 22.12.2017 21:34, Mark Schafer wrote:
>> I just wish we could add these lofting and sweeps to the base
>> distro - with docs :)
>>
> I'm sure pretty much everyone can agree on that.
>
> I'd love to help with that, but my math knowledge is not nearly
> good enough to do that. Are there any pointers to tutorials that
> would help understand what's needed?
>
> So far I only found basic 3d tutorials or scientific papers that
> are not comprehensible to me. Somehow the path from basic stuff
> to the more advanced topics has a huge gap with not much
> explanation on how to get to the other side.
>
> ciao,
>    Torsten.
>
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
>
> ---
> This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
> http://www.avg.com
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

nophead
I don't know if this has a mathematical validity but simple keeping the two inner control points level with each other seems to produce a curve that matches a strip held against the screen fairly well.

The length of the strip is only 9mm longer compared to the version with the control points equidistant below the end points.

On 22 December 2017 at 22:03, Mark Schafer <[hidden email]> wrote:
IMHO OpenSCAD is missing a line primitive which could enable a lot of this.
The line would be a set of edges pointing to vertices. much like polygon()
Then sweep, loft, objects of revolution, etc could use this "line" as input.

Likewise you could slice (projection()) an object to generate a line for internal use. To close the circle as it were.

Line() could generate a solid object in much the same way polyhedron and linear_extrude() do if used on its own.

On 12/23/2017 10:21 AM, Torsten Paul wrote:
I just wish we could add these lofting and sweeps to the base
distro - with docs :)

ciao,
   Torsten.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com

Reply | Threaded
|

Parkinbot
@nophead,
I'm afraid you will need a proper differential equation system to describe
(and solve) your problem in a generic way. The solution will be reigned by
the viscoelastic stiffness (elasticty + damping) and also the weight of your
strip will play a non-negligible role.
Imagine the case that both ends stay at the same level. Without gravity,
your solution at least with *distance of ends < dip of fixed-length strip @
vertical egress on both ends* will look like the projection of a light bulb,
as the minimum energy condition will try to minimize bending at each point.
Gravity tends to distort this solution with a catenary function defined as
tradeoff between elastic and gravitational forces. Furtheron a damping term
with introduce some hysteresis ... I severly doubt that this can have a
trival solution.

@Neon22
If I understand your line primitive well, it is easy to implement and could
be encapsulated into a lib. Visualization can be done on the basis of
sweep() with a polyline (i.e. list of 3D-points with min length 2) and a
radius argument. It will then extrude a circle (n-gon) along this line.
There are solutions for this in thingiverse. If I remember well also
Caterpillar published some code for this.  
BUT: As self-intersection is possible, I severly doubt that sweep will ever
find its way into the language. It will stay a lib function. If you are
interested I can implement an adapter function for the sweep() that comes
with my Naca_sweep.scad library.

BTW I use a similar 'extension' to visualize faces defined by polygons
already placed in 3D space. While it also works to visualize noplanar
polygons, the trigonalization is a bit rough and does not show the minimal
surface, as one likely might expect.

use <Naca_sweep.scad>  // https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:900137

poly(T_(15,20, 10, Ry_(60, circle2D())));
poly(T_(10,10, 10, Ry_(-30, chip())));

function circle2D(r=10, N=100) = [for (i=[0:N]) let(w=360/N*i) r*[sin(w),
cos(w), 0]];

function chip(r = 10, N = 100) =  // polygon for cross section
  [for (i=[0:N]) let(w = 360/N*i) r*[sin(w), cos(w), 0.1*cos(3*w)]];

module poly(p)
{
  face = [for(i=[0:len(p)]) i];
  p_ = len(p[0]) == 3?p:vec3D(p);
  polyhedron(p_, [face]);
}

--

Reply | Threaded
|

nophead
> I severely doubt that this can have a trivial solution.

Yes for a general strip that is certainly true. In my case the weight of the strip is negligible compared to its stiffness so gravity doesn't play a part. I can turn it upside down and its shape doesn't change noticeably.

Yes if the ends get two close together it would try to be a light bulb shape. That doesn't matter in my model because it is only the lower position that is critical. The constraint is the strip must be short enough to not touch the bottom. I use your iteration method to find the control points to give the target z value when the table is at the bottom. That gives me the length of the strip. In any other position I move the control points to achieve that length. In the middle position it may bulge forwards slightly in real life but not in the model. As there is nothing for it to hit it doesn't matter for my purpose. What matters is I generate the correct length of strip and cable on the BOM and that it is a long as possible without touching the bottom.

My breakthrough has been giving the two control points the same z value, so a single parameter moves them up and down together. I found by accident that gives a realistic curve and can rationalise it by realising that having the control points level is the minimum energy state of the curve through the control points. I.e. if the two bottom corners were sprung hinges that wanted to be 180 then both at 90 gives the minimum energy as it would be proportional to the sum of (180 - angle) squared. Whether the Bezier curve generated from those points is the minimum energy curve I don't know but empirically it seems to match reality. If I make the rear point lower it increases the radius of the curve but when it goes below the the front control point the strip starts to kink as it leaves its clamp. When the rear control point is higher than the front one the strip forms too tight a curve.

On 23 December 2017 at 15:35, Parkinbot <[hidden email]> wrote:
@nophead,
trival solution.

--

Reply | Threaded
|

RevarBat
I may not be understanding the problem correctly, but could you solve self intersection by creating each loop of the sweep as a separate object and union them?

- Revar

On Dec 23, 2017, at 9:38 AM, nop head <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I severely doubt that this can have a trivial solution.

Yes for a general strip that is certainly true. In my case the weight of the strip is negligible compared to its stiffness so gravity doesn't play a part. I can turn it upside down and its shape doesn't change noticeably.

Yes if the ends get two close together it would try to be a light bulb shape. That doesn't matter in my model because it is only the lower position that is critical. The constraint is the strip must be short enough to not touch the bottom. I use your iteration method to find the control points to give the target z value when the table is at the bottom. That gives me the length of the strip. In any other position I move the control points to achieve that length. In the middle position it may bulge forwards slightly in real life but not in the model. As there is nothing for it to hit it doesn't matter for my purpose. What matters is I generate the correct length of strip and cable on the BOM and that it is a long as possible without touching the bottom.

My breakthrough has been giving the two control points the same z value, so a single parameter moves them up and down together. I found by accident that gives a realistic curve and can rationalise it by realising that having the control points level is the minimum energy state of the curve through the control points. I.e. if the two bottom corners were sprung hinges that wanted to be 180 then both at 90 gives the minimum energy as it would be proportional to the sum of (180 - angle) squared. Whether the Bezier curve generated from those points is the minimum energy curve I don't know but empirically it seems to match reality. If I make the rear point lower it increases the radius of the curve but when it goes below the the front control point the strip starts to kink as it leaves its clamp. When the rear control point is higher than the front one the strip forms too tight a curve.

On 23 December 2017 at 15:35, Parkinbot <[hidden email]> wrote:
@nophead,
trival solution.

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Parkinbot
You can visualize a polyline segment by hulling two spheres. Unioning a
sequence of such segments will do the job regardless of self-intersection.
You are right in this point. But rendering will be very very slow as soon as
many segments have to be rendered.

RevarBat wrote
> I may not be understanding the problem correctly, but could you solve self
> intersection by creating each loop of the sweep as a separate object and
> union them?

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Ronaldo
You are right. The expression of the energy I've been using is an approximation of the bending energy valid only under some strict conditions. As its integral is easily evaluated it is the usual energy expression in the context of geometric modeling.

You need a physical bending energy though and that may be computed with a little more effort applying the expression of curvature found in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curvature#Curvature_of_space_curves to a suitable subdivision refinement of the curve.

​I believe the energy minimizing strategy I devised may still work with the bending energy based on curvature.

However, I don't believe the shape of a bent physical strip in a general setting may be modeled by a cubic arc.

2017-12-22 17:51 GMT-02:00 nop head <[hidden email]>:
>The energy expression of a curve was taken proportional to the integral of its second parametric derivative

I don't think this is right. I think the energy is proportional to the integral of the square of curvature. This is because the potential energy in a spring is a square law due to the force increasing as you bend it.

Also I think curvature is second derivative with respect to arc length, not the parameter.