Measure functions

Stephen Amorosi
I would like to see measure functions, such as:
 * distance from point to anything
 * distance from line to anything
 * minimum and maximum distance between two CSG objects
 * Surface Area
 * CSG (top node) Volume
To implement measure functions It seems like OpenSCAD needs the ability to give or get a CSG branch identifier so users can then have the ability to select those CSG objects.

I am working on robot arm simulations using the animation features.  To analyze the simulation I am using a large echo statement and then grabbing the console window text, pasting it in a spreadsheet, running a macro to clean up the text, and then creating charts from the data.  This is tedious and I have seen a lot of discussion about a feature to “echo” to a .csv file or such, which would be great. It would be nice if this function worked like animation “dump images” and only dumped a single time cycle of data.

Steve Amorosi

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Measure functions

OpenSCAD mailing list-2
In my OpenSCAD scripts I use  ECHO commands like
   echo ("BOM", "CROSS",...);
and
  echo ("BOM", "TEE",  ...);
to track every time I create a CROSS or TEE.

After the generation, I copy and paste the console to a file "inputdata/OpenSCAD.log".
Using Linux, I do
1) grep 'ECHO: "BOM"' <inputdata/OpenSCAD.log >inputdata/BOM.csv This extracts the lines from file that relate to the ECHO statements dealing with BOM and puts them in "inputdata/BOM.csv". Any debug or information ECHO commands are eliminated in this step

2) sed -i s/'ECHO: "BOM",'//g inputdata/BOM.csv this cuts the 'ECHO:  "BOM"' text from the front of each line so that I only have to deal with the pertinent content of my ECHO statement.

After that I use a utility that I created to turn the stream of ECHO statements into a Bill of Materials which I output as an HTML report and as a csv file that I can bring into a spreadsheet to do costing.
This is all automated after the original cut and paste of the log file.

It has been brought to my attention that if I ran the OpenSCAD generation step as a batch job, I could get the log into a file as part of the generation thus automating the entire process.

I could also output the BOM into an Excel file which should allow me to add formulas and secondary sheets with pricing for costing to produce a fully costed BOM without manual intervention.
As I have only 11 distinct parts, I have not attempted to add this yet but with the self-isolation caused by COVID-19, there is no telling what I will get up to over the next few days!

Ron

On 2020-04-07 7:58 p.m., Stephen Amorosi wrote:
I would like to see measure functions, such as:
 * distance from point to anything
 * distance from line to anything
 * minimum and maximum distance between two CSG objects
 * Surface Area
 * CSG (top node) Volume
To implement measure functions It seems like OpenSCAD needs the ability to give or get a CSG branch identifier so users can then have the ability to select those CSG objects.

I am working on robot arm simulations using the animation features.  To analyze the simulation I am using a large echo statement and then grabbing the console window text, pasting it in a spreadsheet, running a macro to clean up the text, and then creating charts from the data.  This is tedious and I have seen a lot of discussion about a feature to “echo” to a .csv file or such, which would be great. It would be nice if this function worked like animation “dump images” and only dumped a single time cycle of data.

Steve Amorosi

-- 
Ron Wheeler
Artifact Software
438-345-3369
[hidden email]