MDI mode

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

MDI mode

kintel
Administrator
Hi,

I just noticed that the MDI mode (support for having multiple open documents) is only enabled on Mac OS X as default.
Has anyone tested this under Linux or Windows, and are there any good reasons not to enable this for all platforms?

In openscad.pro:
macx:CONFIG += mdi


 -Marius


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MDI mode

nophead
I think Microsoft realised MDI was bad and moved away from it. I personally hate it and have lost documents in Word / Excel due to it.

On 17 December 2011 17:25, Marius Kintel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I just noticed that the MDI mode (support for having multiple open documents) is only enabled on Mac OS X as default.
Has anyone tested this under Linux or Windows, and are there any good reasons not to enable this for all platforms?

In openscad.pro:
macx:CONFIG += mdi


 -Marius

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rocklinux.net/mailman/listinfo/openscad

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MDI mode

kintel
Administrator
On Dec 17, 2011, at 20:45 PM, nop head wrote:

> I think Microsoft realised MDI was bad and moved away from it. I personally hate it and have lost documents in Word / Excel due to it.
>
OpenSCAD's MDI is different - give it a spin :)

 -Marius


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MDI mode

Clifford Wolf
In reply to this post by kintel
Hi,

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 06:25:04PM +0100, Marius Kintel wrote:
> I just noticed that the MDI mode (support for having multiple open
> documents) is only enabled on Mac OS X as default.  Has anyone tested
> this under Linux or Windows, and are there any good reasons not to enable
> this for all platforms?

If I remember correctly I only added MDI because you said that it's not
easy to run multiple instances of a program on OS X from the UI. I remember
us having a short discussion about desktops and operating systems and
ending up with adding the OS X only MDI code.

On Linux I personally prefer having a seperate processes (that I can e.g.
kill independent from each other ;-) for each OpenSCAD window and see no
need for the MDI feature on this platform. Also this is how most other
simple x11 apps handle multiple documents/instances.

yours,
 - clifford

--
When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a thumb.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MDI mode

Brad Pitcher
In reply to this post by kintel

I tried it in Linux, it works great although I'd prefer tabbed documents

On Dec 17, 2011 11:53 AM, "Marius Kintel" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Dec 17, 2011, at 20:45 PM, nop head wrote:

> I think Microsoft realised MDI was bad and moved away from it. I personally hate it and have lost documents in Word / Excel due to it.
>
OpenSCAD's MDI is different - give it a spin :)

 -Marius

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rocklinux.net/mailman/listinfo/openscad
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MDI mode

Giles Bathgate-2
On 17 December 2011 20:20, Brad Pitcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I tried it in Linux, it works great although I'd prefer tabbed documents

I think tabs are the way forward ;)

Regards

Giles

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MDI mode

kintel
Administrator
In reply to this post by Clifford Wolf
On Dec 17, 2011, at 21:20 PM, Clifford Wolf wrote:
>
> If I remember correctly I only added MDI because you said that it's not
> easy to run multiple instances of a program on OS X from the UI.

Ah, yes, it comes back to me now ;)

A few things in favor of MDI:
o Caching can work across models in case you're working multiple variations.
o You can do Ctrl-N to get a new 'instance' (if you're a GUI addict)

If we can get the MDI to be non-intrusive enough, people can choose their favourite method of dealing with multiple instances.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions, I'm only really worried about potential instabilities.

 -Marius