Looking for a freelancer to help / need to know if this is possible through openscad

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Looking for a freelancer to help / need to know if this is possible through openscad

bigspool
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
Hi there,

We have a base 3D model of a piece of jewelry and have a bucket of simple closed path SVGs. Looking for someone to essentially create a script which imports the SVGs and "subtracts" that outline shape from the center of the model. Is this something that can be done fairly easily? We have about 1000 or so models we need to generate this way. We are looking to find a freelancer or someone capable of doing this and we can negotiate a rate (I am assuming openSCAD would be an easy way to do this).

Mods: Please delete if we aren't allowed to post jobs on here and my apologies.

Best,
Ravi
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Looking for a freelancer to help / need to know if this is possible through openscad

Eric Buijs
OpenSCAD can't import SVGs however it can import DXFs. OpenSCAD from the command line should be able to process 1000 files with a shell script.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Looking for a freelancer to help / need to know if this is possible through openscad

fred_dot_u
In reply to this post by bigspool
I'm no wizard at OpenSCAD and frequently struggle with what I would expect others might consider simple coding, but what you're asking is very straight-forward. I've performed a similar task a few times, but not one thousand times !

There's a useful utility in the form of a plugin for Inkscape:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:25036
it's called image to openscad or path to openscad or something like that.

If you convert your SVG files to DXF, you may find that smooth curves are now somewhat blocky segments.

You may find that the ability of OpenSCAD to accept scripting will facilitate your objective, however.
tp3
Reply | Threaded
|

tp3
In reply to this post by Eric Buijs
We do have a development branch (not really up to date though)
that can import SVG.

This should be able to import sane SVGs with closed path polygons
easily, although with SVG being more an image than a CAD format,
the devil is in the details.

For that amount of files/models, this might be worth a try.

ciao,
  Torsten.

-- Torsten
Reply | Threaded
|

Neon22
In reply to this post by fred_dot_u
There is an improved version of that inkscape to openscad converter here:
- http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1065500
Supports lines and closed shapes as well as nesting.
Puts the polygons in their own variables for easy reuse.