Linear extrude in loop crashing openscad with F6

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Linear extrude in loop crashing openscad with F6

NathanA
This renders fine with F5 but crashes with F6:

x = 60;
swirl_h = 70; //75; //40
swirl_x = 30;
swirl_y = 5;
swirl_twist = 280;
spacing = 80;
module shape() {
    scale([2, 1.5])
    circle(r = 5);
}

color("OrangeRed")
scale([1.1, 1, 1])
translate([20, 25, 0])
for (i = [0: 3]) {
    translate([-i * x - 25, 110, 10])
        //scale([1.5,1,1])
    rotate([90, 0, 0])
    linear_extrude(height = swirl_h, center = false, convexity = 10, twist = swirl_twist, $fn = 100)
    translate([swirl_x, swirl_y, 0])
    shape();

    translate([-i * x - spacing, 0, 30])
    mirror([0, 0, 1])
    mirror([1, 0, 0])
    translate([-25, 110, 10])
        //scale([1.5,1,1])
    rotate([90, 0, 0])
    linear_extrude(height = swirl_h, center = false, convexity = 10, twist = swirl_twist, $fn = 100)
    translate([swirl_x, swirl_y, 0])
    shape();
}

Any suggestions?

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Linear extrude in loop crashing openscad with F6

doug.moen
It works for me. Required 1 hour rendering time and 1.36Gb of RAM on a 4Gb Macintosh. I used version 2016.01.27.

On 2 July 2016 at 13:47, Nathan Apter <[hidden email]> wrote:
This renders fine with F5 but crashes with F6:

x = 60;
swirl_h = 70; //75; //40
swirl_x = 30;
swirl_y = 5;
swirl_twist = 280;
spacing = 80;
module shape() {
    scale([2, 1.5])
    circle(r = 5);
}

color("OrangeRed")
scale([1.1, 1, 1])
translate([20, 25, 0])
for (i = [0: 3]) {
    translate([-i * x - 25, 110, 10])
        //scale([1.5,1,1])
    rotate([90, 0, 0])
    linear_extrude(height = swirl_h, center = false, convexity = 10, twist = swirl_twist, $fn = 100)
    translate([swirl_x, swirl_y, 0])
    shape();

    translate([-i * x - spacing, 0, 30])
    mirror([0, 0, 1])
    mirror([1, 0, 0])
    translate([-25, 110, 10])
        //scale([1.5,1,1])
    rotate([90, 0, 0])
    linear_extrude(height = swirl_h, center = false, convexity = 10, twist = swirl_twist, $fn = 100)
    translate([swirl_x, swirl_y, 0])
    shape();
}

Any suggestions?

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org



_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Linear extrude in loop crashing openscad with F6

Ronaldo
Nice design. It took 9min to render with version 2015.3-2 in a Windows  PC with a second generation i3. Are you sure, doug, of your running time?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Linear extrude in loop crashing openscad with F6

doug.moen
My Mac is a 2010 Macbook Air with a core 2 duo. After rebooting, I got a faster render time of 28 minutes (and no error messages).

My Linux machine is more recent: it has a core i5, and the render time was 5m 35s. The model looks okay, but I got 5 CGAL errors, "CGAL Cache insert failed". I was running my own recent build.

So we can't reproduce the crash.

On 2 July 2016 at 17:14, Ronaldo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nice design. It took 9min to render with version 2015.3-2 in a Windows  PC
with a second generation i3. Are you sure, doug, of your running time?



--
View this message in context: http://forum.openscad.org/Linear-extrude-in-loop-crashing-openscad-with-F6-tp17863p17865.html
Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org




_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Linear extrude in loop crashing openscad with F6

NathanA
I should have written which version I was using. The crash occurred in OpenSCAD-2016.04.06-x86-32 but after you both said it worked for you I tried in the more recent OpenSCAD-2016.05.12-x86-64 and it rendered fine. Thank you!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Linear extrude in loop crashing openscad with F6

louijp




OpenSCAD version 2016.01.27 (git 176a1e8)
Copyright (C) 2009-2015 The OpenSCAD Developers

MacBook Pro 16GB RAM with OS X - ElCapitan

Compiling design (CSG Tree generation)...
Rendering Polygon Mesh using CGAL...
Geometries in cache: 16
Geometry cache size in bytes: 13483488
CGAL Polyhedrons in cache: 0
CGAL cache size in bytes: 0
Total rendering time: 0 hours, 19 minutes, 7 seconds
Top level object is a 3D object:
Simple: yes
Vertices: 62400
Halfedges: 371200
Edges: 185600
Halffacets: 246432
Facets: 123216
Volumes: 9
Rendering finished.


> On Jul 3, 2016, at 1:09 AM, NathanA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I should have written which version I was using. The crash occurred in
> OpenSCAD-2016.04.06-x86-32 but after you both said it worked for you I tried
> in the more recent OpenSCAD-2016.05.12-x86-64 and it rendered fine. Thank
> you!
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://forum.openscad.org/Linear-extrude-in-loop-crashing-openscad-with-F6-tp17863p17867.html
> Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org