Is it possible to write out a text file from OpenSCAD?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Is it possible to write out a text file from OpenSCAD?

William Adams-2
If not, would it be possible to add that as a feature?

I'm trying to work up a customizer for a CNC fingerjoint box:


(scroll down to the bottom for the current version)

and if I could write out the current settings that'd avoid the need for a user to transcribe the values from the customizer.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is it possible to write out a text file from OpenSCAD?

nophead
I think the customiser settings are already written out to a text file in JSON format.

On 26 May 2018 at 20:24, William Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
If not, would it be possible to add that as a feature?

I'm trying to work up a customizer for a CNC fingerjoint box:


(scroll down to the bottom for the current version)

and if I could write out the current settings that'd avoid the need for a user to transcribe the values from the customizer.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org



_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
tp3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is it possible to write out a text file from OpenSCAD?

tp3
In reply to this post by William Adams-2
On 05/26/2018 09:24 PM, William Adams wrote:
> and if I could write out the current settings that'd avoid
> the need for a user to transcribe the values from the customizer.
>
You can save multiple named sets of parameters which will
be saved in a *.json file with the same base name as the
main model *.scad file.

See:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenSCAD_User_Manual/WIP#Saving_Parameters_value_in_JSON_file

ciao,
   Torsten.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
-- Torsten
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is it possible to write out a text file from OpenSCAD?

William Adams-2
Thanks! Managed to puzzle that out and get it working.

One last question: What are the options for hosting an OpenSCAD file with customizer? Thingiverse? Anything else?

What would be involved in setting that up on my own server?

William

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 4:04 PM, Torsten Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 05/26/2018 09:24 PM, William Adams wrote:
and if I could write out the current settings that'd avoid
the need for a user to transcribe the values from the customizer.

You can save multiple named sets of parameters which will
be saved in a *.json file with the same base name as the
main model *.scad file.

See:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenSCAD_User_Manual/WIP#Saving_Parameters_value_in_JSON_file

ciao,
  Torsten.


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is it possible to write out a text file from OpenSCAD?

MichaelAtOz
Administrator
William Adams-2 wrote
> One last question: What are the options for hosting an OpenSCAD file with
> customizer? Thingiverse? Anything else?
>
> What would be involved in setting that up on my own server?

I don't know of anyone other than Thingiverse doing so, and they use their
own Customizer, not the new one built-in.



-----
Admin - PM me if you need anything, or if I've done something stupid...

Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work. Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.

The TPP is no simple “trade agreement.”   Fight it! http://www.ourfairdeal.org/   time is running out!
--
Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Admin - email* me if you need anything,
or if I've done something stupid...
* click on my MichaelAtOz label, there is a link to email me.

Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work.
Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.


The TPP is no simple “trade agreement.” Fight it! http://www.ourfairdeal.org/ time is running out!