Installing OpenSCAD without the official Installer.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Installing OpenSCAD without the official Installer.

Juan C.Cilleruelo


On 10/06/2019 17:18, Joe Francis wrote:
Very much this.

Given the nature of the problem, I would look for more widely-used software than OpenSCAD for a resolution.  There is almost certainly a decent way to deal with it, but that better way is almost certainly going to be discovered (or has already been discovered!) somewhere with a broader base than a brand new OpenSCAD release.

    SketchUp was my first option. But the problem is that do not allow a real integration with my application. It's always a third party solution that has his own licence policy.



Also, when looking to embed open source software in a commercial product, you're a lot more likely to attract interest if you at least describe what you're working on and how it might benefit the open source community.

My program generates scripts to draw the Manufacturing products created inside of it. Ruby is a good language, but I'm in love with the style of OpenSCAD scripts because of allows not only describe products but also allow apply the paradigms of structured programming in the way of creating reusable tools and libraries of components.

My application applies in the practice of the "Mass Customization" paradigm, from B. Joseph Pine II. 

You can create products in a Business management software style, and with the data you insert, the program allows end users to modify his characteristics, but not changing the manufacturing processes. All the products, personalized or standard, are manufactured in the same series.

The user modifies the product, with a little number of restrictions, and the manufacturer knows how to create the personalized version without work and without changing his way of doing things.

I know it's very complex to explain it without a graphic explanation. Is for this, what I included the Drawing of the products as part of the application.

The first version (alfa) that I want to release this month is a basic version for carpenters. And is a primary necessity that the program was very easy to install.

In some days, when I launch the first version, I can communicate with all of you to show a usable version of the software.

Can I make the announcement in this forum? 


On 6/10/19 10:13 AM, A. Craig West wrote:
You should also keep in mind that this issue affects a lot of software other than openscad... Nobody except Microsoft is legally allowed to distribute those dll's

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 10:14 Juan C.Cilleruelo, <[hidden email]> wrote:


On 10/06/2019 16:01, nop head wrote:
I think it is more a problem of Windows 10N than a bug in OpenSCAD. Even Microsoft's Edge browser needs it to be installed.  https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4057437/media-feature-pack-for-windows-10-n-april-2018


In any case, this is a limitation for the integration of OpenSCAD with third-party tools.

If I can't create a stand-alone setup.exe program for my application, including OpenSCAD, my program can't be a commercial solution.

Maybe It's time to search for an alternative that not create complications to my final users.

Thanks for all!



On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 at 14:47, Juan C.Cilleruelo <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think this is a bug in version 2019.05, because in the same computer if I use the version 2015.03 this problem is not present.

I think this can be true, that installing "Windows Media feature pack" the problem for version 2019.05 is solved, but...

I can't say to my user that for installing my application they need to install previously "Windows Media feature pack". In the same form, I don't want to say my users that they need to install OpenSCAD.

I'm searching for a unique installation. It works well with version 2015.03. Because of this, I think that this problem with EVR, MF and MFPlat DLLs is a problem of a new dependency introduced in posterior versions.

How can I inform to develop team about this new dependency? Maybe it's not mandatory. Only a bug.

On 10/06/2019 14:56, A. Craig West wrote:
The files in question are part of the windows media feature pack, which is included in windows 10, but not windows 10 N. You can download it from Microsoft. 

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 08:39 nop head, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes it seems that OpenSCAD and many other programs expect those files to be part of the OS but they were removed from Windows 10. If you Google the file names there are many other people looking for them and proposed solutions.

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 at 13:05, Juan C.Cilleruelo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Oh! Oh!......

I've just discovered that this occurs only with 2019.05 version.

If I change to 2015.03 version the problem disappears.



On 10/06/2019 13:01, Juan C.Cilleruelo wrote:
> I've developed a software product that embeds OpenSCAD inside as part of the
> same product.
> I want to create a unified installer but I have a problem:
>
> I do not use the official installer when I call openscad.com or openscad.exe
> I get some consecutive errors that explain to me that some files are not
> installed:
>
> *Evr.dll, MF.dll and MFPlat.dll* at this moment.
>
> My question is: *Where or how to find the complete list of files I need to
> install to allow OpenSCAD custom installation run as the official one?*
>
> Thanks in advance to all!
>
>
>
>
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/
>
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Installing OpenSCAD without the official Installer.

Juan C.Cilleruelo
In reply to this post by tp3
Finally, I got installed the "Windows Media Framework" and really the
problem with the DLLs was solved, but...

The process was complex for the normal user, at least in Europe.

I can't go to market with a product that is complex of install. More
when I wave the flag of simplicity in my application use.

By the moment I'm going to return to 2015.03 version.

Thanks a lot again!

On 10/06/2019 17:02, Torsten Paul wrote:
> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenSCAD_User_Manual/FAQ#OpenSCAD_fails_to_run_refering_to_EVR.dll%2C_MF.dll_or_MFPlat.dll_on_Windows
>
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
tp3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Installing OpenSCAD without the official Installer.

tp3
In reply to this post by Juan C.Cilleruelo
On 10.06.19 17:10, Juan C.Cilleruelo wrote:
> Currently, I'm not involved in the development team> of OpenSCAD, and not because of lack of will. If I
> was involved, is possible I will propose a solution.

So far I've not even seen a short description of how
OpenSCAD is used in your context. If it's used just as
generator without a GUI, it might be even easier to solve
the issue as we have an pretty unmaintained option to
compile without GUI which was used by someone to build a
non-Qt release for command line use
(http://repo.hu/projects/openscad-noqt/)

> By now, I'm going to return to version 2015.03, that
> works in Europe.

I'm based in Germany, so you can believe me that I'm
aware of that kind of topics.
OpenSCAD 2019.05 runs just fine in my Windows 10 VM
and there's no other report of that issue so far.
Maybe that means there's currently not much users with
Windows N without the Media Pack that are running
OpenSCAD.

> Thanks a lot for your time. I'm going to continue
> following your progress, of course, but I'm going too
> to study other ways. All my customers are in Europe.

Without a github issue there's not going to be much
progress on the application itself. A feature request
describing the issue is pretty much the only way to get
things implemented. If and when that happens depends
on people having time and motivation doing that.
I'll be going round asking people which Windows version
they use at home though, just to get some data points.

> In some days, when I launch the first version, I
> can communicate with all of you to show a usable
> version of the software.
> Can I make the announcement in this forum?

Yes, it's fine to announce commercial stuff which is
related to OpenSCAD.

ciao,
  Torsten.



_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
-- Torsten
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Installing OpenSCAD without the official Installer.

Juan C.Cilleruelo

On 10/06/2019 18:34, Torsten Paul wrote:

> On 10.06.19 17:10, Juan C.Cilleruelo wrote:
>> Currently, I'm not involved in the development team> of OpenSCAD, and not because of lack of will. If I
>> was involved, is possible I will propose a solution.
> So far I've not even seen a short description of how
> OpenSCAD is used in your context. If it's used just as
> generator without a GUI, it might be even easier to solve
> the issue as we have an pretty unmaintained option to
> compile without GUI which was used by someone to build a
> non-Qt release for command line use
> (http://repo.hu/projects/openscad-noqt/)

     I'm going to see this when I have a little time. Sure!


>
>> By now, I'm going to return to version 2015.03, that
>> works in Europe.
> I'm based in Germany, so you can believe me that I'm
> aware of that kind of topics.
> OpenSCAD 2019.05 runs just fine in my Windows 10 VM
> and there's no other report of that issue so far.
> Maybe that means there's currently not much users with
> Windows N without the Media Pack that are running
> OpenSCAD.

         I'm going to collect info from a little group of betatesters
about this point.

     Maybe the problem is only in my development Virtual Machine.

     Can be I've created the Virtual Machine as a minimal expression of
Windows, without Media Framework.

     Can be!

>
>> Thanks a lot for your time. I'm going to continue
>> following your progress, of course, but I'm going too
>> to study other ways. All my customers are in Europe.
> Without a github issue there's not going to be much
> progress on the application itself. A feature request
> describing the issue is pretty much the only way to get
> things implemented. If and when that happens depends
> on people having time and motivation doing that.
> I'll be going round asking people which Windows version
> they use at home though, just to get some data points.

     I'm going to take the necessary time to create this issue in github.

     Don't worry.


>
>> In some days, when I launch the first version, I
>> can communicate with all of you to show a usable
>> version of the software.
>> Can I make the announcement in this forum?
> Yes, it's fine to announce commercial stuff which is
> related to OpenSCAD.
>
> ciao,
>    Torsten.
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
12