classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to set camera angle ?

vaclavpe

Hello,

I would like to re-modell one building in Openscad. Therefore I have some photos and found windows app which makes windows transparent.

But if I set correct viewport distance the object is very small. Therefore I need to set the angle of view - to zoom the object (I can not advance the object as it looks differently).

How can I do that in Openscad ?

Thank you for help,
Vaclav

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How to set camera angle ?

Ronaldo
And see if you are using OpenSCAD with parallel or perspective view.

Reply | Threaded
|

thehans
In reply to this post by vaclavpe
There are special variables for the camera which you can set
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenSCAD_User_Manual/Other_Language_Features#.24vpr.2C_.24vpt_and_.24vpd

On Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Vaclav Peroutka <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hello,
>
> I would like to re-modell one building in Openscad. Therefore I have some
> photos and found windows app which makes windows transparent.
>
> But if I set correct viewport distance the object is very small. Therefore I
> need to set the angle of view - to zoom the object (I can not advance the
> object as it looks differently).
>
> How can I do that in Openscad ?
>
> Thank you for help,
> Vaclav
>
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
>

Reply | Threaded
|

JordanBrown
On 11/12/2017 9:01 AM, Vaclav Peroutka wrote:
I would like to re-modell one building in Openscad. Therefore I have some photos and found windows app which makes windows transparent.

But if I set correct viewport distance the object is very small. Therefore I need to set the angle of view - to zoom the object (I can not advance the object as it looks differently).

How can I do that in Openscad ?

I'm not sure, but I don't think you can.

I'm not really good with the math, but after experimenting for a while it seems like you can move the camera around, but you can't directly zoom it.

There are three variables that control the camera:

$vpr controls rotation.  (Note that it controls rotation of the model, not the camera.  Changing it turns the model rather than turning the camera.  You can also look at it as causing the camera to orbit around the model.)

$vpt controls where the center of the viewport is.  Normally this is used for panning left and right, but it can also pan in and out.

$vpd controls the distance from the center of the viewport to the camera.  For "zoom" purposes, I believe this is the same as using $vpt to move the center of the viewport in and out.

What you want is to zoom the image, *not* to move the camera closer to it.  The difference is in the angles; zoom magnifies the image but does not change the angles.  Visibility of an object does not change as you zoom in and out, while moving the camera out may make more objects visible.

You *can* zoom, by changing the window size.  However, that's severely constrained; you can't just make the window ten times bigger than your screen.

It *might* be possible to do what you need by applying the right matrix multiply to your object, to sort of do your viewport translation in the construction of the object.  But I would I have to think for a long time about exactly how to do that.

Here's an animation that lets you play with moving the viewport center and/or the camera distance.  Note that the two cubes on the side are more visible when the camera is further away; when the camera is close they are hidden behind the big cube.  Pick one of the $vpt lines and one of the $vpd lines to enable (remember Ctrl+D and Ctrl+Shift+D are your friends).  Note that if you enable both calculated values, they exactly cancel each other out.  If one of them controlled camera position and the other controlled zoom, that wouldn't be true.

// t will vary from 0 to 1 and back to 0.
t = 1-abs($t-0.5)*2;

#cube(10,center=true);
translate([5.5,0,0]) cube(1,center=true);
translate([-5.5,0,0]) cube(1,center=true);

//$vpt=[0,60*t-30,0];   // Varies from -30 to +30
$vpt=[0,0,0];
$vpr=[90,0,0];
$vpd=(60*t)+30;     // Varies from 30 to 60
//$vpd=60;

translate($vpt) sphere(0.1);

If you haven't used an animation before:  View/Animate, then in the fields at the bottom of the window enter values for FPS and Steps.  10 and 100 are working well for me.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ronaldo
@Vaclad

There is no way to get zoom effect with OpenSCAD in perspective mode. In camera lenses, zoom results from changing the camera lens focus distance. In OpenSCAD, the "camera lens focus distance" seems to be fixed to the equivalent of a 60mm focus lens for 35mm films. However, you may simulate zoom in parallel mode by changing the camera distance. To get zoom we would need to control either the viewport size (equivalent to change the camera film format) or the focus distance of the camera lens.

​@Jordan 

I disagree with your interpretation of $vpr. Changing $vpr will not rotate the model; it rotates the coordinate system (relative to the viewer). The sun doesn't rotate around the earth although that is the feeling of an observer on the earth.

Reply | Threaded
|

JordanBrown
On 11/13/2017 3:14 AM, Ronaldo Persiano wrote:
There is no way to get zoom effect with OpenSCAD in perspective mode. In camera lenses, zoom results from changing the camera lens focus distance. In OpenSCAD, the "camera lens focus distance" seems to be fixed to the equivalent of a 60mm focus lens for 35mm films. However, you may simulate zoom in parallel mode by changing the camera distance. To get zoom we would need to control either the viewport size (equivalent to change the camera film format) or the focus distance of the camera lens.

From a mathematical perspective, I think zoom is applying a straightforward uniform scaling transformation after applying the perspective transformation, either before or after discarding the depth coordinate to project into 2D.  But I'm not sure.

He's trying to match a photograph, so switching to orthogonal view won't do the right thing either.

I disagree with your interpretation of $vpr. Changing $vpr will not rotate the model; it rotates the coordinate system (relative to the viewer). The sun doesn't rotate around the earth although that is the feeling of an observer on the earth.

You're right - I was speaking informally.  I wasn't drawing a distinction between rotating the coordinate system (and thus rotating the objects defined in that coordinate system) and rotating the objects themselves.  The objects don't move.

Having the camera orbit the center of the viewport is probably still more correct - if I'm doing my right-hand-rule right, that's what the numbers say - but I just can't convince my brain that that's what's happening, at least for most models.  (Maybe for architectural models.)

It's tempting to think that you could achieve something a lot like a zoom effect by scaling the model, but my experiments suggest not - you need the scaling to happen *after* the perspective, and matrix multiply isn't commutative.  (Or not commutative enough?  Or I haven't figured out how.)  It seems like maybe you could switch to orthogonal mode and transform the model to apply both perspective and zoom, but some experiments suggest that you can't do perspective transforms.  Or maybe in perspective mode use a transform that's the equivalent of scaling after perspective, but I suspect that such a matrix would resemble a perspective matrix.

Reply | Threaded
|

vaclavpe

On 11/13/2017 3:14 AM, Ronaldo Persiano wrote:

From a mathematical perspective, I think zoom is applying a straightforward uniform scaling transformation after applying the perspective transformation, either before or after discarding the depth coordinate to project into 2D.  But I'm not sure.

He's trying to match a photograph, so switching to orthogonal view won't do the right thing either.

Exactly. I tried orthogonal view but it seemed to me that it was even worse. I need to somehow change the "lens focus".

Reply | Threaded
|

Ronaldo
I guess I have a way to produce a zoomed image. The following code illustrate the concept (I hope it is correct):

zoom=0.5*cos(360*$t) + 2*(1-cos(360*$t));
cam_dist =  100;
cam_dir  = -[10,10,20];
cam_top  =  [0,0,1];

echo(zoom=zoom);

module model()
  cube(10);

$vpd = zoom*cam_dist;
$vpr = RM2EAxyz(camRot(cam_dir,cam_top));
$vpt = [0,0,0];

rot  = camRot(cam_dir,cam_top);
irot = transpose(rot);// rot inverse

multmatrix(irot*mscale([1,1,zoom])*rot) // the compress or stretch of the model
model();

// converts a rotation matrix into the Euler angles 
// with the order Rx.Ry.Rz 
function RM2EAxyz(M) =
    let( sy = norm([M[0][0],M[0][1]]) )
    sy > 1e-6 ? 
        [   atan2(M[1][2],M[2][2]),
            atan2(-M[0][2],sy),
            atan2(M[0][1],M[0][0]) ] :
        [   atan2(-M[2][1], M[1][1]),
            atan2(-M[0][2],sy),
            0 ]; 

// the rotation matrix of a camera local system
function camRot(dir,top) =
    let( dx = cross(dir,top),
         dy = -cross(dir,dx) )
    [unit(dx), unit(dy), -unit(dir)];

// scale matrix
function mscale(s) =
   [for(i=[0:2])[for(j=[0:2]) i==j? s[i]: 0]];

function unit(v) = v/norm(v);

function transpose(M) =
   [for(j=[0:2])[for(i=[0:2]) M[i][j]]];

The first 4 lines set the camera parameters:

zoom     is the zoom factor; 1 is the normal lens (60mm lens); <1 is a telephoto lens (>60mm lens); >1 is a wide angle lens (<60mm lens)
cam_dist is the distance between the camera and the scene center
cam_dir  is the direction the camera lens is pointing to
cam_top  is the direction of the vertical axis of the viewport

The principle behind the code is: given the zoom factor (a scale of the viewport), multiply the camera distance by zoom and scale (compress or strecth) the scene (model) by the same factor just in the direction of the camera. 

Reply | Threaded
|

Ronaldo
In the code, we can set the camera position as for instance

cam_pos = [100,100,200];

and compute $vpt from it:

$vpt = cam_pos+unit(cam_dir)*cam_dist;