classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Headless Openscad

NathanA
Hi,

I want to run OpenSCAD in AWS Lambda. Does it still require Xvfb to run headless?

AWS Lambda runs Amazon Linux (which is its own challenge since I'll have to figure out which flavor binary will work - or install from source with all dependencies, which seems time consuming). Of course it runs in headless - which I have gotten to run on Ubuntu before but years ago and at the time it required Xvfb. Is that still true?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Headless Openscad

kintel
Administrator
> On Jul 5, 2017, at 21:47, NathanA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I want to run OpenSCAD in AWS Lambda. Does it still require Xvfb to run
> headless?
>
Yes, we’re using X11 to acquire an OpenGL context.

We don’t have any plans to change this, but if anyone wants to play with other ways of using OpenGL under Linux that would be a good project.

-Marius

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Headless Openscad

mixotricha
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by NathanA
I've been down this path. These are exactly the sorts of problems I am trying to resolve with my current project.

I built a stand alone headless version of OpenSCAD. I then built it in to a shared library using ffi that enabled me to use it with nodeJS.

https://github.com/Makertron/humbaba

I also spent some time putting it in to a Lambda and it took a bit of convincing to have all the appropriate libraries and to work with node as a front end but it did work.

Anyway I have actually moved on from this and stopped developing it because the code base is just so big and complicated :/

I've found a better way to get to the same end goal.