classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Google Fonts in OpenSCAD

ve3wva
Good evening
I am VERY new to 3D printers and OpenSCAD (or any other 3D modelling programs for that matter)

I downloaded a customizable .scad file from thingiverse.com and I am finding it impossible to change the font from the default. ( actually have downloaded two from the exact same source and I am having the issue on them both; I HAVE reached out the author of the files and as of yet I have not received and reply...the last comments/changes were made in 2018)

I can change the text itself , the size and the spacing but when I change the actual font itself, it simply does nothing.

I am making sure it's changed in both the customizer and the editor, plus made sure the font (I have tried several, and they are Google fonts) are installed on my computer.

If it makes a difference I am running Windows Pro 10 64 bit.

I MUST be missing something.

Any help would be great and THANK YOU

Rusty

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Google Fonts in OpenSCAD

JordanBrown
A pointer to the thing that you are trying to work with, and to the actual fonts involved, would be helpful.

Reply | Threaded
|

ve3wva
I tried several, but Aladin is one of them.
It doesn’t really matter which one I pick, it never changes for me. 

Thanks for helping me!

On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 10:05 PM Jordan Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
A pointer to the thing that you are trying to work with, and to the actual fonts involved, would be helpful.

--

Rusty Auxier

Manitoulin Computers
14 Village Lagoon Rd.
M'Chigeeng, ON P0P 1G0
705-377-7363

www.micomp.ca

Reply | Threaded
|

JordanBrown
In reply to this post by ve3wva
But here's something trivial to try:
text("Hello world", font="serif");
translate([0,20,0]) text("Hello world", font="sans");
translate([0,40,0]) text("Hello world", font="italic");

Copy that in, hit F5, and confirm that you get a couple of different styles.

Then look at Help/Font List for a list of available fonts.  Try substituting one of them into the program above.  See if the font list includes the font you're looking for.

Older OpenSCAD programs (pre 2015?) didn't have a way to use system fonts; they had to include libraries that drew their own.  In those programs, the available fonts were entirely dependent on the libraries used.

Reply | Threaded
|

JordanBrown
On 3/7/2021 7:09 PM, Rusty Auxier wrote:
I tried several, but Aladin is one of them.
It doesn’t really matter which one I pick, it never changes for me. 

Thanks for helping me!

That program does use system fonts, but has a canned list of fonts that it will present in the customizer.

Try the test I just sent - looking at Help/Font List for the font that you want, and then substituting it into one of the text() calls - and if that works, then edit LicencePlate.scad to add your font to the list on lines 28, 45, and 58.  Those are each huge long lines that control what the customizer will offer.

Or directly edit the fontTop, fontMid, and fontBot values on those lines to select the one you like.

Reply | Threaded
|

JordanBrown
Michael et al:  this is the second time that I've loaded up a program from Thingiverse and it hasn't run right the first time.  The first was that Mac Mini dock program that didn't intersect.  Here, the difference didn't difference; the objects that were intended to be differenced away were instead unioned in.  After I rendered with F6 it was OK and, strangely, after restarting the program, it was still OK.  Once it worked, I haven't been able to demonstrate the problem with either model.  Even rebooting or slightly tweaking the model doesn't make it fail again.

Of course, now that the program is running correctly I can't demonstrate the problem.

Does 2021.01 have persistent caches?  Design/Flush Caches didn't make any difference, but maybe it doesn't kill persistent caches?

Reply | Threaded
|

MichaelAtOz
Administrator
No, persistent cache is not even in snapshots, definitely not in release.
I tried both of those thingi's, no problem (after adding convexity to the dock).

I did notice similar disappearing bugs (similar in disappearing, not similar bugs) in an RC, but it makes you question your mind...need to point a surveillance camera on your screen for evidence?
OpenSCAD Admin - email* me if you need anything, or if I've done something stupid...
* on the Forum, click on my MichaelAtOz label, there is a link to email me.

Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain;
to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work.
Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.

Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

OpenSCAD Admin - email* me if you need anything, or if I've done something stupid...
* on the Forum, click on my MichaelAtOz label, there is a link to email me.

Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain;
to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work.
Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.
Reply | Threaded
|

JordanBrown
On 3/7/2021 9:14 PM, MichaelAtOz wrote:
I tried both of those thingi's, no problem (after adding convexity to the dock).

I did notice similar disappearing bugs (similar in disappearing, not similar bugs) in an RC, but it makes you question your mind...need to point a surveillance camera on your screen for evidence?

In both cases, it seemed solidly failed until I did a full F6 render, and after that it wouldn't fail.

When it inevitably happens again, I'll try to remember to grab a screen shot just to show that I'm not losing my mind.

Reply | Threaded
|

JordanBrown
OK, so I may have a partial answer for you.

I'm not completely certain, but I think that the list of fonts that's embedded in that program is a list of fonts that's available on some *Linux* system, perhaps the one that Thingiverse runs its Customizer on.

I tried several, and duplicated what you saw, that nothing changed.

Then I looked at Help/Font List, picked one of those, added it to the list in the program, and picked that... and it worked.

It is a ... feature ... of the font selection mechanism that OpenSCAD uses that it never fails.  It always tries to find the closest match for what you asked for... even if that match doesn't resemble what you asked for at all.

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/fontconfig/fontconfig-user.html

Font Matching

Fontconfig performs matching by measuring the distance from a provided pattern to all of the available fonts in the system. The closest matching font is selected. This ensures that a font will always be returned, but doesn't ensure that it is anything like the requested pattern.

This lets you say things like "sans:italic" and get something reasonable, no matter what system you're on and what fonts it has installed.  But it also means that when you say "MySpecialFont" and that font isn't on the system, you silently get some default.

I think that you should be able to say "give me something that exactly matches my specification, or fail".  Your specification might be really specific, like "Arial Bold Italic", or it might be really loose, like "sans:italic".  But that's not what it does.

Reply | Threaded
|

ve3wva
In reply to this post by JordanBrown
Thanks, I'll check that out! It's 2021.01 brand new download...

My pay job is getting in the way...free time for me means I forgot to do something ;-) so I will have to try it later!

I will let you know!

On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 10:10 PM Jordan Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
But here's something trivial to try:
text("Hello world", font="serif");
translate([0,20,0]) text("Hello world", font="sans");
translate([0,40,0]) text("Hello world", font="italic");

Copy that in, hit F5, and confirm that you get a couple of different styles.

Then look at Help/Font List for a list of available fonts.  Try substituting one of them into the program above.  See if the font list includes the font you're looking for.

Older OpenSCAD programs (pre 2015?) didn't have a way to use system fonts; they had to include libraries that drew their own.  In those programs, the available fonts were entirely dependent on the libraries used.

--

Rusty Auxier

Manitoulin Computers
14 Village Lagoon Rd.
M'Chigeeng, ON P0P 1G0
705-377-7363

www.micomp.ca

Reply | Threaded
|

JordanBrown
In reply to this post by JordanBrown
On 3/7/2021 9:55 PM, Jordan Brown wrote:
On 3/7/2021 9:14 PM, MichaelAtOz wrote:

In both cases, it seemed solidly failed until I did a full F6 render, and after that it wouldn't fail.

When it inevitably happens again, I'll try to remember to grab a screen shot just to show that I'm not losing my mind.

I figured out this behavior:  I hadn't known that View/Thrown Together shows the negative object in difference() and both objects in intersection().  Ref my message "difference / intersection preview problems: pilot error not understanding View/Thrown Together".