Feature Request: TTF text

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Feature Request: TTF text

Zach Smith
I've been a big fan of openSCAD since day one, and I tell just about everyone I meet about it.  I do MakerBot / 3D printing workshops fairly often and people usually pick it up right away and love it.  I'm really proud of this software and I think it is well on its way to becoming the dominant modeling software for 3D printing.

Anyway, one of the first things people want to do is to make text in 3D!  Right now its extremely difficult / borderline impossible to do with any of the open source programs (including all sorts of ungodly combinations of blender, openscad, aoi, wings3d, etc.)

It would be really cool if we could have a couple functions to make this happen.  Maybe ttf_font_2D() which could give you 2D outlines of your text that could be used as a DXF or extruded to make it 3D.  That would really rock so hard.

Zach
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Feature Request: TTF text

kintel
Administrator
On Jan 23, 2010, at 18:13 , Zach Smith wrote:

> It would be really cool if we could have a couple functions to make  
> this happen.  Maybe ttf_font_2D() which could give you 2D outlines  
> of your text that could be used as a DXF or extruded to make it 3D.  
> That would really rock so hard.
>

I agree. This is some work, but no new wheels should need to be  
invented..

Cheers,

~/= Marius

--
We are Elektropeople for a better living.





Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Feature Request: TTF text

Ethan Dicks
In reply to this post by Zach Smith
On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Zach Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've been a big fan of openSCAD since day one, and I tell just about
> everyone I meet about it.

As do I, but so far, few I've run into are programmers.  I personally
think it's an excellent way of generating STL files.

> Anyway, one of the first things people want to do is to make text in 3D!
> Right now its extremely difficult / borderline impossible to do with any of
> the open source programs (including all sorts of ungodly combinations of
> blender, openscad, aoi, wings3d, etc.)

Agreed.  Many of my own projects will have text embedded in them (even
just numerals) - I was considering just drawing my own font in a DXF
file for 0-9.

The sorts of things I want to be able to make include label plaques -
a base with a few letters or digits on them.  OpenSCAD with font
support would be perfect for rendering that.

As Zach points out, there's no easy way to do this at present.  This
feature would set OpenSCAD out in front for a variety of interesting
uses.

-ethan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Feature Request: TTF text

Zach Smith
Yeah, I'm imagining a bunch of cool parameterizable objects:  trophies, plaques, name stampers, etc.  Not to mention putting project info / urls onto the parts you print.  There's a whole bunch of awesome stuff that could be done with this.

Zach

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Ethan Dicks <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Zach Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've been a big fan of openSCAD since day one, and I tell just about
> everyone I meet about it.

As do I, but so far, few I've run into are programmers.  I personally
think it's an excellent way of generating STL files.

> Anyway, one of the first things people want to do is to make text in 3D!
> Right now its extremely difficult / borderline impossible to do with any of
> the open source programs (including all sorts of ungodly combinations of
> blender, openscad, aoi, wings3d, etc.)

Agreed.  Many of my own projects will have text embedded in them (even
just numerals) - I was considering just drawing my own font in a DXF
file for 0-9.

The sorts of things I want to be able to make include label plaques -
a base with a few letters or digits on them.  OpenSCAD with font
support would be perfect for rendering that.

As Zach points out, there's no easy way to do this at present.  This
feature would set OpenSCAD out in front for a variety of interesting
uses.

-ethan
_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rocklinux.net/mailman/listinfo/openscad