classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Display label options?

kdtop
Hey all,

I have recently been working on a project where I created an object with OpenSCAD and then printed it out with my 3D printer.  But my ultimate goal was to use traditional metal machining techniques (i.e. milling machine and lathe) to create a metal version of the part.

I then realized OpenSCAD's shortcoming in creating paper plans that I could use when machining.  There are no visible dimensions of key points.  And using the scale on the axes is not precise enough.  What I ended up doing was to echo all the information I needed to the console log, and then printing out a screen capture of the display and manually drawing the coordinates by hand.  It seems so me that the computer should be able to help me do this.  Perhaps I am trying to make the application do something it is not designed for, but to me it does seem in the scope of the program.  And maybe this has already been solved.  If so, please let me know.

Here is my idea.  I would like to change OpenSCAD such that there is a way to add a display label.  Perhaps like this:  

DisplayLabel([x,y,z],"My Text", <color>, <
font>, <size>);

This would not put anything into the 3D object (and thus would not be output when exporting an .STL file), but would just be visible on the screen.    The text would always face the camera.  I have seen some libraries that insert text rendered in 3D shapes (though I can't remember where).  But that 3D text object is actually part of the design, and flipping the view around to the back would show the backside of the text.  To me is seems less professional to do things that way.

Another helpful tool would be:

DisplayLine(Points = [v1,v2,v3], <color>, <thickness>);

This would just draw a line on the display screen -- not added to the 3D object.   This would allow, for example, one to draw a line between a key point on the design and the Display label above.  

An example of how I would use this is as below, made by altering a screen shot.

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 7.09.16 AM.png

The downside of this approach is that the designer has to manually set up everything they want output on the design display.  But it seems much easier (from an OpenSCAD programming change approach) than trying to figure out how to have the program output schematics like Fusion 360 does.  

I know that the usual way to go about this, in an open source situation, would be to make the change myself.  I don't have the bandwidth, however, to learn out how to make the changes myself.  So I would have to depend on others.

Has this problem already been solved?
Would there be any support for such a change?  Does anyone else think it would be helpful?

Thanks in advance,

K. Toppenberg

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Display label options?

nophead
You can add things to the display without them being part of the object with the % operator.

You can make things always face the camera using $vpr and fix the size with $vpd.

So I think you can do what you want in user space, without any mods to OpenSCAD.

Another way is to export an STL and measure it with NetFabb studio.

I haven't done it myself because my lathe and mill are CNC.

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 at 12:26, Kevin Toppenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey all,

I have recently been working on a project where I created an object with OpenSCAD and then printed it out with my 3D printer.  But my ultimate goal was to use traditional metal machining techniques (i.e. milling machine and lathe) to create a metal version of the part.

I then realized OpenSCAD's shortcoming in creating paper plans that I could use when machining.  There are no visible dimensions of key points.  And using the scale on the axes is not precise enough.  What I ended up doing was to echo all the information I needed to the console log, and then printing out a screen capture of the display and manually drawing the coordinates by hand.  It seems so me that the computer should be able to help me do this.  Perhaps I am trying to make the application do something it is not designed for, but to me it does seem in the scope of the program.  And maybe this has already been solved.  If so, please let me know.

Here is my idea.  I would like to change OpenSCAD such that there is a way to add a display label.  Perhaps like this:  

font>, <size>);

This would not put anything into the 3D object (and thus would not be output when exporting an .STL file), but would just be visible on the screen.    The text would always face the camera.  I have seen some libraries that insert text rendered in 3D shapes (though I can't remember where).  But that 3D text object is actually part of the design, and flipping the view around to the back would show the backside of the text.  To me is seems less professional to do things that way.

This would just draw a line on the display screen -- not added to the 3D object.   This would allow, for example, one to draw a line between a key point on the design and the Display label above.  

The downside of this approach is that the designer has to manually set up everything they want output on the design display.  But it seems much easier (from an OpenSCAD programming change approach) than trying to figure out how to have the program output schematics like Fusion 360 does.  

I know that the usual way to go about this, in an open source situation, would be to make the change myself.  I don't have the bandwidth, however, to learn out how to make the changes myself.  So I would have to depend on others.

Would there be any support for such a change?  Does anyone else think it would be helpful?

Thanks in advance,

K. Toppenberg

Reply | Threaded
|

William Adams-2
Neat!

FWIW, I've been working on a system where I preserve the critical dimensions of a piece (in the JSON file generated by the OpenSCAD customizer), then create a PDF drawing using LuaLaTeX/METAPOST, and am working on a similar technique which instead uses TPL (Tool Path Language, see tplang.org)

Alternately, you could just export an STL and use a traditional 3D CAM tool such as pyCAM (my current project has geometry which I can't find a traditional tool to do G-Code for reasonably).

William

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 8:18 AM nop head <[hidden email]> wrote:
You can add things to the display without them being part of the object with the % operator.

You can make things always face the camera using $vpr and fix the size with $vpd.

So I think you can do what you want in user space, without any mods to OpenSCAD.

Hey all,

font>, <size>);

Thanks in advance,

K. Toppenberg

Reply | Threaded
|

thehans
I created a similar thread a few years ago with my own solution, and was quickly shown that there were many other solutions already at that time:

Also note that in more recent dev snapshots (or upcoming release), you can use "if($preview)" when you want to selectively display this sort of info in F5 preview mode, and not during F6 rendering.

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 7:54 AM William Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
Neat!

FWIW, I've been working on a system where I preserve the critical dimensions of a piece (in the JSON file generated by the OpenSCAD customizer), then create a PDF drawing using LuaLaTeX/METAPOST, and am working on a similar technique which instead uses TPL (Tool Path Language, see tplang.org)

Alternately, you could just export an STL and use a traditional 3D CAM tool such as pyCAM (my current project has geometry which I can't find a traditional tool to do G-Code for reasonably).

William

Hey all,

font>, <size>);

Thanks in advance,

K. Toppenberg

Reply | Threaded
|

kdtop
In reply to this post by nophead
Thanks for the reply.  See below

Kevin T

I am used to thinking of the % operator as a debugging tool, to turn objects transparent.  I see that with F6 render, they are not included.   It seems that having machine measurements rendered in semi-transparency would be odd.  Is there functionality that I am not aware of?

This is very cool.  I was not aware of this.  I found documentation about it here:  https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenSCAD_User_Manual/Other_Language_Features#$vpr,_$vpt_and_$vpd

I found that rotate($vpr) cube([10,20,30]);  causes the top surface to always point towards the camera after render.  

It seems you are right.  

I wasn't familiar with this.  I found this older video describing that NetFabb basic was now difficult to get:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QRvS9xdNzw

Yeah, CNC is so much nicer.  I'm going to buy a good one right after I win the lottery.  :-)

Hey all,

font>, <size>);

Thanks in advance,

K. Toppenberg

Reply | Threaded
|

Parkinbot
In reply to this post by kdtop
Very easy to implement. Just to give you a kick-off:

cube([10, 10, 20]);
label("A", pos = [0, 10, 20], dpos=[-10, 0, 10]);
label("B", pos = [0, 0, 20], dpos=[-10, 0, 10]);
label("C", pos = [10, 0, 20]);
label("D", pos = [10, 10, 20]);

module label (text = "label", textsize = 3, pos=[0,0,0], dpos=[10,0,10],
linesize = .2, length =20, anglexyz=[0,45,90])
{
  p1 = pos + dpos;
  line(pos, p1, linesize);
  translate(p1)rotate([90,0,$vpr[2]])text(text, size = textsize);
}

module line(p1=[0,0,0], p2=[0,0,10], r=.1)
  hull()
    {
      translate(p1) sphere(r);
      translate(p2) sphere(r);
    }

--
Sent from: http://forum.openscad.org/

Reply | Threaded
|

nophead
>  It seems that having machine measurements rendered in semi-transparency would be odd. 

% makes things semi transparent grey by default but you can override that with color().

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 at 17:37, Parkinbot <[hidden email]> wrote:

cube([10, 10, 20]);

{
  p1 = pos + dpos;
  line(pos, p1, linesize);
}

hull()
    {
      translate(p1) sphere(r);
      translate(p2) sphere(r);
    }

--

Reply | Threaded
|

kdtop
In reply to this post by thehans
See below. 

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 11:51 AM Hans L <[hidden email]> wrote:
I created a similar thread a few years ago with my own solution, and was quickly shown that there were many other solutions already at that time:

This thread was VERY helpful  Thanks so much.    I'm going to research some of the libraries mentioned.

Kevin T

Also note that in more recent dev snapshots (or upcoming release), you can use "if($preview)" when you want to selectively display this sort of info in F5 preview mode, and not during F6 rendering.

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 7:54 AM William Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
Neat!

William

Hey all,

font>, <size>);

Thanks in advance,

K. Toppenberg

Reply | Threaded
|

kdtop
In reply to this post by Parkinbot
Thanks for this reply, but it still puts the text INTO the scene which seems clunky to me.

The end result is that there are many work arounds that can be done, and that this problem comes up periodically and people write libraries to address it.   I'll just need to get one working for me.

Thanks
Kevin

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 12:37 PM Parkinbot <[hidden email]> wrote:

cube([10, 10, 20]);

{
  p1 = pos + dpos;
  line(pos, p1, linesize);
}

hull()
    {
      translate(p1) sphere(r);
      translate(p2) sphere(r);
    }

--

Reply | Threaded
|

kdtop
In reply to this post by William Adams-2
I had not heard of TPL / TPLANG before.  Looks very interesting.  I am in a class right now that is doing some teaching on this.  The teacher wants me to be able to read the Gcodes.  I feel like I am looking at assembly language!  :-)

Thanks!

Kevin T

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 8:54 AM William Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
Neat!

William

Hey all,

font>, <size>);

Thanks in advance,

K. Toppenberg

Reply | Threaded
|

William Adams-2
I've tried to collect all the programmatic G-Code stuff at: https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Programmatic_G-Code_Generators

You might find something more comfortable there.

For G-Code itself, the basics are covered at: https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/G-Code --- but that's from a Grbl-perspective, so no variables, loops, or other niceties.

William

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 3:15 PM Kevin Toppenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
I had not heard of TPL / TPLANG before.  Looks very interesting.  I am in a class right now that is doing some teaching on this.  The teacher wants me to be able to read the Gcodes.  I feel like I am looking at assembly language!  :-)

Thanks!

Kevin T

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 8:54 AM William Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
Neat!

William

Hey all,

font>, <size>);

Thanks in advance,

K. Toppenberg

Reply | Threaded
|

Parkinbot
In reply to this post by kdtop
I don't know how good your programming skills are, but the kind of logic you
seem to be looking for was already answered by nophead. In the following
code the labels are only visible in F5 (provided you use a newer snapshot of
OpenSCAD):

cube([10, 10, 20]);

if ($preview) labels();

module labels()
{
}

{
  p1 = pos + dpos;
  line(pos, p1, linesize);
}

hull()
    {
      translate(p1) sphere(r);
      translate(p2) sphere(r);
    }

--

Reply | Threaded
|

nophead
Yes I should of mentioned that as I was the one that added $preview!

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 at 22:37, Parkinbot <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't know how good your programming skills are, but the kind of logic you
seem to be looking for was already answered by nophead. In the following
code the labels are only visible in F5 (provided you use a newer snapshot of
OpenSCAD):

cube([10, 10, 20]);

if ($preview) labels();

module labels()
{
}

{
  p1 = pos + dpos;
  line(pos, p1, linesize);
}

hull()
    {
      translate(p1) sphere(r);
      translate(p2) sphere(r);
    }

--