Cylinder won't 'puncture'

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Cylinder won't 'puncture'

raymondpijpers
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
Hi all,

I am completely new to 3D but we have a 3D printer here at the office so I am playing around with openscad. I found the option to import a .png and have been playing with the colors to create different heights. It looks nice, but I want to make a keychain out of it so I need to puncture the logo (almost) at the corner. I found the difference() option and used two cylinders in this, but they are not actually creating a hole in my logo. (I will add a picture of the design in openscad and below I will post the code I am using)

I really hope someone here has been around more then me and can give me the golden tip :-)

With kind regards,
Raymond

scale([1, 1, 0.2])
  surface(file = "F:\\Backup Raymond Pijpers\\Design dingetjes\\3D Printing\\HTA logo\\logometwit.png", center = true, invert = false);
  translate([87,21,0])
 difference() {
        cylinder (h = 2, r=4, center = false, $fn=100);
     translate([0,0,-2])
        #cylinder (h = 5, r=3.5, center = false, $fn=100);
}

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Cylinder won't 'puncture'

QuackingPlums
I'm not sure what you're trying to do with the two different cylinders but you're only subtracting the small red one from the larger one, rather than the logo itself.

To 'punch a hole' you need to subtract the cylinder from the keychain like this:

difference()
{
    *logo stuff goes here*
    cylinder(*dimensions of 'hole' to subtract from your keychain*);
}

If you want to make a more complex hole shape then you can just keep subtracting more shapes.

By the way, you will need to make the cylinder a smidge taller than the keychain and nudge it downwards by half a smidge (in the z-direction) so that it fully intersects the logo above and below.

Also, $fn=100 is likely way above the resolution of your printer for creating holes 7mm diameter holes.

HTH

raymondpijpers wrote
[...]

I found the difference() option and used two cylinders in this, but they are not actually creating a hole in my logo.

[...]

Reply | Threaded
|

MichaelAtOz
Administrator
In reply to this post by raymondpijpers
Also note your post is still flagged as "This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet. " so it didn't get to the mailing list, where most users are.

Sometimes that happens on a first post, when you next post, check it after a few minutes. If it is still flagged as above, then check your registration here.
Admin - email* me if you need anything,
or if I've done something stupid...
* click on my MichaelAtOz label, there is a link to email me.

Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work.
Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.

The TPP is no simple “trade agreement.” Fight it! http://www.ourfairdeal.org/ time is running out!
Reply | Threaded
|

raymondpijpers
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
In reply to this post by QuackingPlums
Just what I needed.....thank you ever so much !!!!!!!

Raymond
Reply | Threaded
|

chemiey
In reply to this post by raymondpijpers
I 'punctured' the difference cylinder-issue by adding more lenght to the cylinder i am using for subtraction. (z-coord = +0.2 or so.) and then making the translate([x,y,z-0.1]) slightly larger. That way i have 0.1 unit more each side of the holes to subtract the 'skin'.