Coordinate flips between right/left-handed

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Coordinate flips between right/left-handed

runsun
I notice that the coordinate in the preview window sometimes flips between right-handed and left handed during rotation (by mouse). The coordinate symbol on the left-bottom corner flips as well:

         z                    
         |                     
         |                 
         o------ y     
        /                     
       /                  
      x           

         z                    
         |                     
         |                 
         o------ x     
        /                     
       /                  
      y        
In some of my designs, the handedness is crucial. Flipping in the middle of rotation is annoying. The data inside as well as calculation involved remains correct (took me a while to verify that), but it just looks wrong sometimes, and looks right sometimes.

Is it a bug or by design ? I can't see the benefit of this flipping.

Observed with OpenSCAD linux 64 in both of the following versions:

-- 2015.03
-- 2015.04.16.nightly (git 4d3800c)
$ Runsun Pan, PhD
$ libs: scadx, doctest, faces(git), offline doc(git), runscad.py(2,git), editor of choice: CudaText ( OpenSCAD lexer); $ Tips; $ Snippets
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Coordinate flips between right/left-handed

kintel
Administrator
On May 20, 2015, at 11:59 AM, runsun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I notice that the coordinate in the preview window sometimes flips between right-handed and left handed during rotation (by mouse).
[…]

> Is it a bug or by design ? I can't see the benefit of this flipping.
>
We don’t flip.
Are you sure this is just not you being confused about the camera position?
Not sure how we could make the visualization more clear..

 -Marius


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Coordinate flips between right/left-handed

runsun
It could be an optical illusion on my sight. I'll see if I can come up with something to prove me wrong.
$ Runsun Pan, PhD
$ libs: scadx, doctest, faces(git), offline doc(git), runscad.py(2,git), editor of choice: CudaText ( OpenSCAD lexer); $ Tips; $ Snippets
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Coordinate flips between right/left-handed

bobc
In reply to this post by kintel
> Not sure how we could make the visualization more clear..

I guess this is classic problem with 3d in 2d, like the Necker cube illusion.

Perhaps resize the axis letters to indicate if they are going "in" or "out" of the screen. Maybe also could do something with shading of the colors in the axis lines.

On 20 May 2015 at 17:25, Marius Kintel <[hidden email]> wrote:
On May 20, 2015, at 11:59 AM, runsun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I notice that the coordinate in the preview window sometimes flips between right-handed and left handed during rotation (by mouse).
[…]

> Is it a bug or by design ? I can't see the benefit of this flipping.
>
We don’t flip.
Are you sure this is just not you being confused about the camera position?
Not sure how we could make the visualization more clear..

 -Marius


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Coordinate flips between right/left-handed

runsun
In reply to this post by kintel
You are right. I see what happened now. The two coordinates I show are actually the same thing, the top one has the origin farther away from the plane XYZ (concave), the bottom one has it near viewer (convex).
kintel wrote
Not sure how we could make the visualization more clear..
There might be a way, inspired by the structure display in organic chemistry text book:

$ Runsun Pan, PhD
$ libs: scadx, doctest, faces(git), offline doc(git), runscad.py(2,git), editor of choice: CudaText ( OpenSCAD lexer); $ Tips; $ Snippets