Capabilities of OpenSCAD - newbie question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Capabilities of OpenSCAD - newbie question

Heather Dewey-Hagborg
I am wondering if I should pursue the OpenSCAD path for a specific project, and any input would be greatly appreciated!
What I want to do is import head scans as STLs or lists of vertices, and then to operate on the data structures as matrices, generating different possible heads, and then to output these as STL files to 3D print.
Does this sound possible in OpenSCAD or should I go down another path?

thanks!
Heather

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Capabilities of OpenSCAD - newbie question

Whosawhatsis
Openscad is a pure solid modeler. It does not work with points at all, and many of its operations can get pretty slow when working with imported STL data. Unfortunately, it sounds like OpenSCAD is the wrong tool for what you want to do.

On Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Heather Dewey-Hagborg wrote:

I am wondering if I should pursue the OpenSCAD path for a specific project, and any input would be greatly appreciated!
What I want to do is import head scans as STLs or lists of vertices, and then to operate on the data structures as matrices, generating different possible heads, and then to output these as STL files to 3D print.
Does this sound possible in OpenSCAD or should I go down another path?

thanks!
Heather

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Capabilities of OpenSCAD - newbie question

Heather Dewey-Hagborg-2

ah, ok good to know. any suggestions for open source tools that would be more appropriate?

On Apr 12, 2012 1:52 PM, "Whosawhatsis" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Openscad is a pure solid modeler. It does not work with points at all, and many of its operations can get pretty slow when working with imported STL data. Unfortunately, it sounds like OpenSCAD is the wrong tool for what you want to do.

On Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Heather Dewey-Hagborg wrote:

I am wondering if I should pursue the OpenSCAD path for a specific project, and any input would be greatly appreciated!
What I want to do is import head scans as STLs or lists of vertices, and then to operate on the data structures as matrices, generating different possible heads, and then to output these as STL files to 3D print.
Does this sound possible in OpenSCAD or should I go down another path?

thanks!
Heather

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rocklinux.net/mailman/listinfo/openscad

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Capabilities of OpenSCAD - newbie question

clothbot
I'd start by looking into Blender.  It has the flexible mesh editor hooks and scripting capabilities.  Lots of documentation and how-to videos and tutorials out there via the extended CGI community too.

Andrew.

On 2012-04-12, at 2:11 PM, Heather Dewey-Hagborg wrote:

ah, ok good to know. any suggestions for open source tools that would be more appropriate?

On Apr 12, 2012 1:52 PM, "Whosawhatsis" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Openscad is a pure solid modeler. It does not work with points at all, and many of its operations can get pretty slow when working with imported STL data. Unfortunately, it sounds like OpenSCAD is the wrong tool for what you want to do.

On Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Heather Dewey-Hagborg wrote:

I am wondering if I should pursue the OpenSCAD path for a specific project, and any input would be greatly appreciated!
What I want to do is import head scans as STLs or lists of vertices, and then to operate on the data structures as matrices, generating different possible heads, and then to output these as STL files to 3D print.
Does this sound possible in OpenSCAD or should I go down another path?

thanks!
Heather

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rocklinux.net/mailman/listinfo/openscad

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rocklinux.net/mailman/listinfo/openscad

--

"The future is already here.  It's just not very evenly distributed" -- William Gibson

Me: http://clothbot.com/wiki/



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Capabilities of OpenSCAD - newbie question

Taylor Alexander
Also look at Meshlab for cleaning up meshes before importing them into blender. Or maybe blender can do that stuff, I don't know much about blender. Anyway, meshlab is good to look at while you're exploring.

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Andrew Plumb <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd start by looking into Blender.  It has the flexible mesh editor hooks and scripting capabilities.  Lots of documentation and how-to videos and tutorials out there via the extended CGI community too.

Andrew.

On 2012-04-12, at 2:11 PM, Heather Dewey-Hagborg wrote:

ah, ok good to know. any suggestions for open source tools that would be more appropriate?

On Apr 12, 2012 1:52 PM, "Whosawhatsis" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Openscad is a pure solid modeler. It does not work with points at all, and many of its operations can get pretty slow when working with imported STL data. Unfortunately, it sounds like OpenSCAD is the wrong tool for what you want to do.

On Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Heather Dewey-Hagborg wrote:

I am wondering if I should pursue the OpenSCAD path for a specific project, and any input would be greatly appreciated!
What I want to do is import head scans as STLs or lists of vertices, and then to operate on the data structures as matrices, generating different possible heads, and then to output these as STL files to 3D print.
Does this sound possible in OpenSCAD or should I go down another path?

thanks!
Heather

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rocklinux.net/mailman/listinfo/openscad

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rocklinux.net/mailman/listinfo/openscad

--

"The future is already here.  It's just not very evenly distributed" -- William Gibson

Me: http://clothbot.com/wiki/




_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://rocklinux.net/mailman/listinfo/openscad


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Capabilities of OpenSCAD - newbie question

Alan Cox
If you are simply moving the surfaces around (applying distortions etc)
then you might want to just load the STL into your own code, adjust all
the points with matrix maths and chuck it back out again.

If you add any points/vertices or flip any insides/outsides its a whole
different game, but if you are simply applying a physically
possible transform to an STL object then you shouldn't need to actually
regenerate the mesh.