Can't Render Code

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Can't Render Code

Entropic
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't Render Code

fred_dot_u
With the link to the code you provided, I opened and rendered the model with zero problems and quite quickly. The code uses external files, not provided, so it's an incomplete resource at present. Consider to zip all the files together for others and myself to peruse.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't Render Code

Entropic
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't Render Code

Entropic
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't Render Code

fred_dot_u
My computer took about 30 seconds to render the object and provided a non-manifold warning. I opened the STL in Meshmixer and the "inspector" found no errors. Per your request, I've attached the STL file.


casingWithParts.stl
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't Render Code

cacb
On 2016-04-12 14:46, fred_dot_u wrote:
> My computer took about 30 seconds to render the object and provided a
> non-manifold warning. I opened the STL in Meshmixer and the "inspector"
> found no errors. Per your request, I've attached the STL file.
>
>
> casingWithParts.stl
> <http://forum.openscad.org/file/n17070/casingWithParts.stl>

I just tried to export it to AMF using 2015.03-1, but this fails:
"WARNING: Export failed, the object isn't a valid 2-manifold. AMF export
finished."

I got a zero size AMF file. So the model seems to have issues before
export.

Carsten Arnholm

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't Render Code

fred_dot_u
In reply to this post by fred_dot_u
I've loaded the STL file I generated into Meshmixer and it found no failures, so I loaded it into Blender and used 3d printing option to repair non-manifold objects. The brief report indicated that 8 edges needed correction. That's the attached file. One of these should work for you.

casingWithParts_edgefix.stl
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't Render Code

Entropic
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't Render Code

macdarren
In reply to this post by fred_dot_u
What kinda of machine do you use that you render that in 30 seconds?
I have been wondering for a while when I see render times mentioned in the forum why my render times are so different sometimes REALLY SLOWER.

I have an 8 core 2.3Ghz, 16GB, SSD machine with an AMD Radeon of the same vintage…not the latest greatest but not generally old or slow.
however when I render things I see only one cpu in use…maybe there is a switch to enable more.

my render time on the OP zipped files is more like a minute….I guess not THAT bad but faster would be better…:)
Is OpenSCAD multi core capable…if not then I guess it is probably my slower clock speed and slightly older CPU.


Darren

> On Apr 12, 2016, at 5:46 AM, fred_dot_u <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My computer took about 30 seconds to render the object and provided a
> non-manifold warning. I opened the STL in Meshmixer and the "inspector"
> found no errors. Per your request, I've attached the STL file.
>
>
> casingWithParts.stl
> <http://forum.openscad.org/file/n17070/casingWithParts.stl>  
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://forum.openscad.org/Can-t-Render-Code-tp17063p17070.html
> Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't Render Code

fred_dot_u
Obviously, I did not pay attention when I rendered the model. Doing so again, after closing and re-opening the program and .scad file, it reads as 9 to 12 seconds. Pursuant to your message, I also checked the task manager (Win 7) and four of the eight cores are "working" with traces not quite half way up the graph. Old machine here too, an Intel i7 with only 12 GB system ram and a decent video card, although not up to Oculus Rift standards!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't Render Code

macdarren
Thanks Fred….now my machine feels even slower…:)..I’d love 15 seconds.

If I can get more cores working maybe that would get me closer to your times.
My task manager shows only a single core but it is maxed out during the render.
I’ll have to research this a bit, maybe it is a bug or a feature I need to turn on.
Or maybe it has to do with the video card, I am not sure how much computing is done where.
I am no where near Oculus standards, my video was never top of the line and is 4+ years ancient.

Darren



> On Apr 12, 2016, at 2:55 PM, fred_dot_u <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Obviously, I did not pay attention when I rendered the model. Doing so again,
> after closing and re-opening the program and .scad file, it reads as 9 to 12
> seconds. Pursuant to your message, I also checked the task manager (Win 7)
> and four of the eight cores are "working" with traces not quite half way up
> the graph. Old machine here too, an Intel i7 with only 12 GB system ram and
> a decent video card, although not up to Oculus Rift standards!
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://forum.openscad.org/Can-t-Render-Code-tp17063p17090.html
> Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't Render Code

nophead
OpenScad currently never uses more than one core. The speed of your graphics card only affects the F5 preview, not the F6 time.

On 12 April 2016 at 23:39, Darren DeVecchio <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Fred….now my machine feels even slower…:)..I’d love 15 seconds.

If I can get more cores working maybe that would get me closer to your times.
My task manager shows only a single core but it is maxed out during the render.
I’ll have to research this a bit, maybe it is a bug or a feature I need to turn on.
Or maybe it has to do with the video card, I am not sure how much computing is done where.
I am no where near Oculus standards, my video was never top of the line and is 4+ years ancient.

Darren



> On Apr 12, 2016, at 2:55 PM, fred_dot_u <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Obviously, I did not pay attention when I rendered the model. Doing so again,
> after closing and re-opening the program and .scad file, it reads as 9 to 12
> seconds. Pursuant to your message, I also checked the task manager (Win 7)
> and four of the eight cores are "working" with traces not quite half way up
> the graph. Old machine here too, an Intel i7 with only 12 GB system ram and
> a decent video card, although not up to Oculus Rift standards!
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://forum.openscad.org/Can-t-Render-Code-tp17063p17090.html
> Sent from the OpenSCAD mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't Render Code

macdarren
interesting…my previews are reasonably fast, it is the F6 render that is slow…and from what was said graphics card should not matter…
I wonder why I get slow render times…a freshly loaded app, with the model from the OP F5s in <1 second.
Renders take 40+ seconds…if it is mostly a CPU thing then maybe my slower clocked older CPU architecture is the issue.




_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't Render Code

macdarren
For completeness I just rebooted and tried the render again and this time I had the INTEL Power Gadget open to see if maybe
the clock was running slow or not ‘Turbo Boosting’ but it jumps to the boosted clock rate of about 3Ghz when rendering, but it does
start at the lower “inactive" rate for the first second…it was somewhat faster than my previous runs down to about 40 seconds.


Probably just time for a newer machine..if I really can’t wait all those seconds..but I am mostly a beginner and do simple models
along the lines of the OP so that short wait is not that big of a deal and I usually review the code and find a way to tweak it while I wait.




> On Apr 12, 2016, at 4:00 PM, Darren DeVecchio <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> interesting…my previews are reasonably fast, it is the F6 render that is slow…and from what was said graphics card should not matter…
> I wonder why I get slow render times…a freshly loaded app, with the model from the OP F5s in <1 second.
> Renders take 40+ seconds…if it is mostly a CPU thing then maybe my slower clocked older CPU architecture is the issue.
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't Render Code

runsun
macdarren wrote
Probably just time for a newer machine..if I really can’t wait all those seconds..but I am mostly a beginner and do simple models
along the lines of the OP so that short wait is not that big of a deal and I usually review the code and find a way to tweak it while I wait.
I recalled when I started learning OpenSCAD, I read a thread discussing rendering time, in which people were talking about 15~20 hr time scale (they went to bed and the next day it still running) and said that it's worth it. Up to now I am still wondering if I read something wrong, but I guess that's why we need preview.

Btw, putting a render(){ your-object } where your-object is the one that you already made (thus the OpenSCAD will use the cach) might help.
$ Runsun Pan, PhD
$ libs: scadx, doctest, faces(git), offline doc(git), runscad.py(2,git), editor of choice: CudaText ( OpenSCAD lexer); $ Tips; $ Snippets
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't Render Code

kintel
Administrator
In reply to this post by Entropic
> On Apr 12, 2016, at 10:04 AM, Entropic <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you so much for your help, I can finish the project now. I wonder why
> my computer wouldn't do it. Thanks.
>
My guess is that you’re using an old version of OpenSCAD. The latest is 2015.03-2.

 -Marius


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't Render Code

jpmendes
In reply to this post by macdarren
Just for the record...
On my humble 11 year old 2 core 4Gb machine it took 29 secs to render. I'm using  OpenSCAD version 2016.01.26 on Windows 7 X64.
Maybe changing power management parameters of your machine may help a little. With an utility called Prio is possible to assign a core to an app and permanently assign priorities, maybe  you can use it to liberate a core to more efficiently run OpenSCAD.

jpmendes
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Can't Render Code

MichaelAtOz
Administrator
In reply to this post by runsun
runsun wrote
I recalled when I started learning OpenSCAD, I read a thread discussing rendering time, in which people were talking about 15~20 hr time scale (they went to bed and the next day it still running) and said that it's worth it. Up to now I am still wondering if I read something wrong, but I guess that's why we need preview.
I've had > 24 hour renders. Usually accompanied by disc swapping for models using a lot of memory, which slows down the process.
Admin - email* me if you need anything, or if I've done something stupid...
* click on my MichaelAtOz label, there is a link to email me.

Unless specifically shown otherwise above, my contribution is in the Public Domain; to the extent possible under law, I have waived all copyright and related or neighbouring rights to this work.
Obviously inclusion of works of previous authors is not included in the above.