Another plea for a 'getCurrentTransform()' feature

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Another plea for a 'getCurrentTransform()' feature

paynterf
I'm a relatively new user to open SCAD.  I wanted to use a 'thingiverse' model for robot wheels, but wound up having to debug/modify it to handle my use case.  In the process I learned a lot about SCAD, and really missed the ability to determine the current transform in the various modules making up the model.  I wound up laboriously documenting the transform progression through the various levels to determine why a particular sub-object was or was not in the 'correct' place.

In a previous lifetime as a Electromagnetics researcher I did quite a bit of scientific visualization software, and my programs always had the ability to display both the 'global' and 'local' coordinate systems for each sub-object in a complex (or not) antenna structure.  It "sure would be nice" if OSCAD had a right-click option in the visual model, or maybe a different character operator in the text side that would display the local coordinate system for whatever object was active at the point of the character.  Maybe even combine that with the '#' operator, so whatever object was highlighted would also have it's local coordinate system displayed?

Before posting this, I searched the forum and found only a few very old posts discussing this issue, but there didn't seem to be any response other than "you don't really need that" ;-)

TIA,

Frank

--
G.Frank Paynter, PhD
OSU ESL Research Scientist (ret)
EM Workbench LLC
614 638-6749 (cell)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Another plea for a 'getCurrentTransform()' feature

OpenSCAD mailing list-2
Interesting feature, and potentially very useful when troubleshooting a design.

Similarly, I'd find it very useful to be able to get the current position including all transformations as an absolute coordinate, so something like:

translate([0,10,0])
{
translate([100,0,0])
{
echo(currentXorigin); // writes out 100
echo(currentYorigin); // writes out 10
}
}

William