Quantcast

Abbreviations

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
57 messages Options
123
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Abbreviations

buttim
I often use the Scite editor, based on the same Scintilla component as OpenSCAD. As such I am really missing a very good Scite feature: abbreviations. I implemented (in a rather crude way) abbreviation expansion for common OpenSCAD constructs. This should allow for really fast coding. As a bonus I added folding toggle as a keyboard shortcut (CTRL+*, also added to the edit menu as "Toggle current fold").

*How this works:
Type a single character abbreviation in the editor, for example "c". Then hit CTRL+B. The typed character has been replaced by "cube([]);". The cursor is now positioned after the open square bracket for you to enter the cube's dimensions.

*Full list of abreviations (the | character is not included but shows where the caret will be positioned):
c cube([|]);
d difference() {\n\t|\n}
f for (i=[|]) {\n\t\n}
i intersection() {\n\t|\n}
m module |() {\n\t\n}
r rotate([|]);
s sphere(r=|);
t translate([|])
u union() {\n\t|\n}
x ,center=true|
y cylinder(r=|,h=);


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org

editor-improvement.patch (3K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Abbreviations

alexgibson
Hi Maurizio,

This sounds great!!!
For stupid/busy people - how do I install your patch to try it in Linux
and/or Windows please?

Cheers
Alex


> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: [OpenSCAD] Abbreviations
> From: maurizio butti <[hidden email]>
> Date: Wed, June 08, 2016 9:18 am
> To: [hidden email]
>
>
> I often use the Scite editor, based on the same Scintilla component as
> OpenSCAD. As such I am really missing a very good Scite feature:
> abbreviations. I implemented (in a rather crude way) abbreviation expansion
> for common OpenSCAD constructs. This should allow for really fast coding.
> As a bonus I added folding toggle as a keyboard shortcut (CTRL+*, also
> added to the edit menu as "Toggle current fold").
>
> *How this works:
> Type a single character abbreviation in the editor, for example "c". Then
> hit CTRL+B. The typed character has been replaced by "cube([]);". The
> cursor is now positioned after the open square bracket for you to enter the
> cube's dimensions.
>
> *Full list of abreviations (the | character is not included but shows where
> the caret will be positioned):
> c cube([|]);
> d difference() {\n\t|\n}
> f for (i=[|]) {\n\t\n}
> i intersection() {\n\t|\n}
> m module |() {\n\t\n}
> r rotate([|]);
> s sphere(r=|);
> t translate([|])
> u union() {\n\t|\n}
> x ,center=true|
> y cylinder(r=|,h=);<hr>_______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
tp3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Abbreviations

tp3
In reply to this post by buttim
I think that could be integrated into: https://github.com/openscad/openscad/pull/905

The main thing missing there (and in the attached patch) is to move
the substituions into a separate configuration file.

ciao,
  Torsten.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
-- Torsten
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Abbreviations

buttim
It would be great to see my little mod integrated!
As I said the code is quite crude. I thought about moving the subs in a cfg but was not sure of the correct way of doing it. Still I'm not sure if that would really help since the language seems pretty stable and in any case the most basic and often used "bricks" are not going to change any time soon.
tp3 wrote
I think that could be integrated into: https://github.com/openscad/openscad/pull/905

The main thing missing there (and in the attached patch) is to move
the substituions into a separate configuration file.

ciao,
  Torsten.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Abbreviations

buttim
In reply to this post by alexgibson
I'm not the best one to reply to this question but I'll do my best.
Basically you should download the source, apply the patch i submitted (via the patch command) and the compile everything.
The steps for compiling can be found in OpenSCAD README.md file.

Although building for Linux is feasible it is still quite a lengthy process. The Windows build is quite a nightmare though.

Though, since this little mod seems to have spread some interest you'd better wait for it to be integrated and the binary be available in the development snapshots.

alexgibson wrote
This sounds great!!!
For stupid/busy people - how do I install your patch to try it in Linux
and/or Windows please?
tp3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Abbreviations

tp3
In reply to this post by buttim
Yes, I agree the feature would be nice to have. It's not so
much about the language changing, but about the possibility
to enable/disable it (basically https://xkcd.com/1172/) and
give the option for power users to extend this by editing the
config file (I don't think there's a huge chance of getting
this easily configurable anytime soon).
The infrastructure for that is mostly there and already used
to configure the editor and render color schemes.

ciao,
  Torsten.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
-- Torsten
tp3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Abbreviations

tp3
In reply to this post by buttim
> Though, since this little mod seems to have spread some interest you'd
> better wait for it to be integrated and the binary be available in the
> development snapshots.
>
The Linux nightly builds are always based on the master branch, so
it would pick it up only when officially included.

I can try to kick off a special Windows build though.

ciao,
  Torsten.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
-- Torsten
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Abbreviations

buttim
In reply to this post by tp3
Got it!
What about integrating the mod as-is and adding the external cfg in the near future?
(A bit greedy for having the abbrevs on my windows machine; trying hard to recompile for windows)

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 2:44 PM, tp3 [via OpenSCAD] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, I agree the feature would be nice to have. It's not so
much about the language changing, but about the possibility
to enable/disable it (basically https://xkcd.com/1172/) and
give the option for power users to extend this by editing the
config file (I don't think there's a huge chance of getting
this easily configurable anytime soon).
The infrastructure for that is mostly there and already used
to configure the editor and render color schemes.

ciao,
  Torsten.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
-- Torsten



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.openscad.org/Abbreviations-tp17583p17589.html
To unsubscribe from Abbreviations, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Abbreviations

jon_bondy
In reply to this post by tp3
I can type "cube([" faster than I can type "c" and then some bizarre key
combination.  I am pleased that this feels like progress to some of you,
but for me, it is just awkward.  I am not a complex-shortcut-key kind of
a guy (but recognize that many of you are).  So.  Are there other
options, such as a simpler key (like <escape>) or a delay?

Thanks for listening!

Jon


On 6/8/2016 8:43 AM, Torsten Paul wrote:

> Yes, I agree the feature would be nice to have. It's not so
> much about the language changing, but about the possibility
> to enable/disable it (basically https://xkcd.com/1172/) and
> give the option for power users to extend this by editing the
> config file (I don't think there's a huge chance of getting
> this easily configurable anytime soon).
> The infrastructure for that is mostly there and already used
> to configure the editor and render color schemes.
>
> ciao,
>    Torsten.
>
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
>
>
>
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 2016.0.7639 / Virus Database: 4598/12382 - Release Date: 06/08/16
>
>


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Abbreviations

buttim
I wouldn't define CTRL+B as a bizarre shortcut. Not more than the standard copy CTRL+C and surely less than CTRL+SHIFT+F that OpenSCAD already uses for replace. The expansion is actually accessible via the menu (which lists the shortcut so that one can learn it for the next time).
Il will become even less bizarre since 90%+ of the constructs are expandable that way; hence a very frequent use of the shortcut.
In terms of speed the right comparison is for cube([]);<left><left>left> (not 6 keystrokes but 12). And it is even more evident for intersection (2 keystrokes against 20+).
I chose the keystroke because Scite already uses the same. ESC would be nice but seems a bit nonstandard/dangerous to me. A timeout would be definitely not desirable for most users  I'm afraid.
A possible alternative would be the combo CTRL+SPACE, which some editors use for keyword completion. But it still is as "complex" as the current one (although the space key is bigger and therefore easier to hit).
The occasional OpenSCAD users probably won't gain anything from abbreviations, but people who spend a few hours with the editor would probably benefit.

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 3:31 PM, jon_bondy [via OpenSCAD] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can type "cube([" faster than I can type "c" and then some bizarre key
combination.  I am pleased that this feels like progress to some of you,
but for me, it is just awkward.  I am not a complex-shortcut-key kind of
a guy (but recognize that many of you are).  So.  Are there other
options, such as a simpler key (like <escape>) or a delay?

Thanks for listening!

Jon


On 6/8/2016 8:43 AM, Torsten Paul wrote:

> Yes, I agree the feature would be nice to have. It's not so
> much about the language changing, but about the possibility
> to enable/disable it (basically https://xkcd.com/1172/) and
> give the option for power users to extend this by editing the
> config file (I don't think there's a huge chance of getting
> this easily configurable anytime soon).
> The infrastructure for that is mostly there and already used
> to configure the editor and render color schemes.
>
> ciao,
>    Torsten.
>
> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
>
>
>
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 2016.0.7639 / Virus Database: 4598/12382 - Release Date: 06/08/16
>
>


_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.openscad.org/Abbreviations-tp17583p17592.html
To unsubscribe from Abbreviations, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Abbreviations

doug.moen
In reply to this post by jon_bondy
Jon's response is why we need a separate config file, in order for this to be useable. This is a power user feature, and power users like to configure things.

My keyboard layout is obviously different from Jon's, since I can type ctrl-B far more easily than hit Esc. I would personally prefer Tab for keyword expansion, since I'm already used to that from using the bash shell.

On 8 June 2016 at 09:30, jon <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can type "cube([" faster than I can type "c" and then some bizarre key combination.  I am pleased that this feels like progress to some of you, but for me, it is just awkward.  I am not a complex-shortcut-key kind of a guy (but recognize that many of you are).  So.  Are there other options, such as a simpler key (like <escape>) or a delay?

Thanks for listening!

Jon



On 6/8/2016 8:43 AM, Torsten Paul wrote:
Yes, I agree the feature would be nice to have. It's not so
much about the language changing, but about the possibility
to enable/disable it (basically https://xkcd.com/1172/) and
give the option for power users to extend this by editing the
config file (I don't think there's a huge chance of getting
this easily configurable anytime soon).
The infrastructure for that is mostly there and already used
to configure the editor and render color schemes.

ciao,
   Torsten.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org



-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2016.0.7639 / Virus Database: 4598/12382 - Release Date: 06/08/16




_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org




_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Abbreviations

buttim
An external cfg is not a problem for me;I'd be glad to implement it (or even better steal the implementation from Scite)

But a configurable shortcut modifiable by the settings page is something that goes beyond my knowledge of the Qt environment and OpenSCAD source code.

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 3:58 PM, doug.moen [via OpenSCAD] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jon's response is why we need a separate config file, in order for this to be useable. This is a power user feature, and power users like to configure things.

My keyboard layout is obviously different from Jon's, since I can type ctrl-B far more easily than hit Esc. I would personally prefer Tab for keyword expansion, since I'm already used to that from using the bash shell.

On 8 June 2016 at 09:30, jon <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can type "cube([" faster than I can type "c" and then some bizarre key combination.  I am pleased that this feels like progress to some of you, but for me, it is just awkward.  I am not a complex-shortcut-key kind of a guy (but recognize that many of you are).  So.  Are there other options, such as a simpler key (like <escape>) or a delay?

Thanks for listening!

Jon



On 6/8/2016 8:43 AM, Torsten Paul wrote:
Yes, I agree the feature would be nice to have. It's not so
much about the language changing, but about the possibility
to enable/disable it (basically https://xkcd.com/1172/) and
give the option for power users to extend this by editing the
config file (I don't think there's a huge chance of getting
this easily configurable anytime soon).
The infrastructure for that is mostly there and already used
to configure the editor and render color schemes.

ciao,
   Torsten.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org



-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2016.0.7639 / Virus Database: 4598/12382 - Release Date: 06/08/16




_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org




_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.openscad.org/Abbreviations-tp17583p17594.html
To unsubscribe from Abbreviations, click here.
NAML

rew
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Abbreviations

rew
In reply to this post by doug.moen
On Wed, Jun 08, 2016 at 09:57:42AM -0400, doug moen wrote:
> Jon's response is why we need a separate config file, in order for this to
> be useable. This is a power user feature, and power users like to configure
> things.
>
> My keyboard layout is obviously different from Jon's, since I can type
> ctrl-B far more easily than hit Esc. I would personally prefer Tab for
> keyword expansion, since I'm already used to that from using the bash shell.

I'm used to "left-alt - / " to do the expansion. It expands what I've
typed so far to the closest matching string. So while editing openscad
stuff, c<leftalt-/> will probably expand to cube. Alas, not the
parentheses and brackets. To explain this some more: cl<leftalt-/>
will expand to "closest". because its' there 4 lines up.

If there is a shortcut I think I'd like alt-C to be say cube([]) with
after this the cursor inside the brackets.... Problem is that
cylinders start with a c too. :-(

IMHO, when you work with openscad, you use the primitives to make
modules you use. So quickly after starting a project you're no longer
using cubes and cylinders but higher level objects that you defined...

        Roger.

> On 8 June 2016 at 09:30, jon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I can type "cube([" faster than I can type "c" and then some bizarre key
> > combination.  I am pleased that this feels like progress to some of you,
> > but for me, it is just awkward.  I am not a complex-shortcut-key kind of a
> > guy (but recognize that many of you are).  So.  Are there other options,
> > such as a simpler key (like <escape>) or a delay?
> >
> > Thanks for listening!
> >
> > Jon
> >
> >
> >
> > On 6/8/2016 8:43 AM, Torsten Paul wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, I agree the feature would be nice to have. It's not so
> >> much about the language changing, but about the possibility
> >> to enable/disable it (basically https://xkcd.com/1172/) and
> >> give the option for power users to extend this by editing the
> >> config file (I don't think there's a huge chance of getting
> >> this easily configurable anytime soon).
> >> The infrastructure for that is mostly there and already used
> >> to configure the editor and render color schemes.
> >>
> >> ciao,
> >>    Torsten.
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> OpenSCAD mailing list
> >> [hidden email]
> >> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> -----
> >> No virus found in this message.
> >> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> >> Version: 2016.0.7639 / Virus Database: 4598/12382 - Release Date: 06/08/16
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > OpenSCAD mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
> >
> >
> >

> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


--
** [hidden email] ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**    Delftechpark 26 2628 XH  Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233    **
*-- BitWizard writes Linux device drivers for any device you may have! --*
The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike
Phil, this plan just might work.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Abbreviations

buttim
Not sure I understood the "left-alt - / " stuff. Is it in OpenSCAD's editor?

You're definitely right on cube/cylinder/sphere expansion perhaps not so useful when using modules. Still you get rotate translate, union, difference intersection and for still quite useful.

I thought about a single shortcut for every abbreviations but stealing a dozen shortcuts seems not fair

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 4:19 PM, rew [via OpenSCAD] <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 08, 2016 at 09:57:42AM -0400, doug moen wrote:
> Jon's response is why we need a separate config file, in order for this to
> be useable. This is a power user feature, and power users like to configure
> things.
>
> My keyboard layout is obviously different from Jon's, since I can type
> ctrl-B far more easily than hit Esc. I would personally prefer Tab for
> keyword expansion, since I'm already used to that from using the bash shell.

I'm used to "left-alt - / " to do the expansion. It expands what I've
typed so far to the closest matching string. So while editing openscad
stuff, c<leftalt-/> will probably expand to cube. Alas, not the
parentheses and brackets. To explain this some more: cl<leftalt-/>
will expand to "closest". because its' there 4 lines up.

If there is a shortcut I think I'd like alt-C to be say cube([]) with
after this the cursor inside the brackets.... Problem is that
cylinders start with a c too. :-(

IMHO, when you work with openscad, you use the primitives to make
modules you use. So quickly after starting a project you're no longer
using cubes and cylinders but higher level objects that you defined...

        Roger.

> On 8 June 2016 at 09:30, jon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I can type "cube([" faster than I can type "c" and then some bizarre key
> > combination.  I am pleased that this feels like progress to some of you,
> > but for me, it is just awkward.  I am not a complex-shortcut-key kind of a
> > guy (but recognize that many of you are).  So.  Are there other options,
> > such as a simpler key (like <escape>) or a delay?
> >
> > Thanks for listening!
> >
> > Jon
> >
> >
> >
> > On 6/8/2016 8:43 AM, Torsten Paul wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, I agree the feature would be nice to have. It's not so
> >> much about the language changing, but about the possibility
> >> to enable/disable it (basically https://xkcd.com/1172/) and
> >> give the option for power users to extend this by editing the
> >> config file (I don't think there's a huge chance of getting
> >> this easily configurable anytime soon).
> >> The infrastructure for that is mostly there and already used
> >> to configure the editor and render color schemes.
> >>
> >> ciao,
> >>    Torsten.
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> OpenSCAD mailing list
> >> [hidden email]
> >> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> -----
> >> No virus found in this message.
> >> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> >> Version: 2016.0.7639 / Virus Database: 4598/12382 - Release Date: 06/08/16
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > OpenSCAD mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
> >
> >
> >

> _______________________________________________
> OpenSCAD mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org


--
** [hidden email] ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** <a href="tel:%2B31-15-2600998" value="+31152600998" target="_blank">+31-15-2600998 **
**    Delftechpark 26 2628 XH  Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233    **
*-- BitWizard writes Linux device drivers for any device you may have! --*
The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike
Phil, this plan just might work.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.openscad.org/Abbreviations-tp17583p17596.html
To unsubscribe from Abbreviations, click here.
NAML

tp3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Abbreviations

tp3
In reply to this post by rew
Von: "Rogier Wolff" <[hidden email]>
> IMHO, when you work with openscad, you use the primitives to make
> modules you use. So quickly after starting a project you're no longer
> using cubes and cylinders but higher level objects that you defined...
>
Right, that's basically the reason why the pull request I've linked
before has 2 parts.

Autocompletion: This will probably have the built-in names first, but
should integrate later with the parser to pick up user defined modules
too.

Insert-Template: Also called snippets or similar in other editors.
This is intended to insert whole structured code snippets, e.g. for
loops but of cause could also provide simple "cube([]);" snippets.

That said, we still need to find a balance between possible features
and what is maintainable, so while I personally would find it nice
to have more advanced IDE features, it's a concern how to maintain
those in the future.

ciao,
  Torsten.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
-- Torsten
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Abbreviations

John Tucker
In reply to this post by buttim
Isn't this why F4 and  Automatic load and Recompile exist? Or have they
disappeared as options?

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
tp3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Abbreviations

tp3
In reply to this post by tp3
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Abbreviations

buttim

Wooooooooo Hoooooooooooooo!

Thanks!!

Il 08/giu/2016 21:13, "tp3 [via OpenSCAD]" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
On 06/08/2016 02:47 PM, Torsten Paul wrote:
> I can try to kick off a special Windows build though.
>
http://files.openscad.org/snapshots/OpenSCAD-2016.06.08-x86-32_abbrev-patch-Installer.exe
http://files.openscad.org/snapshots/OpenSCAD-2016.06.08-x86-32_abbrev-patch.zip
http://files.openscad.org/snapshots/OpenSCAD-2016.06.08-x86-64_abbrev-patch-Installer.exe
http://files.openscad.org/snapshots/OpenSCAD-2016.06.08-x86-64_abbrev-patch.zip

ciao,
  Torsten.

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
-- Torsten



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.openscad.org/Abbreviations-tp17583p17602.html
To unsubscribe from Abbreviations, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Abbreviations

doug.moen
In reply to this post by John Tucker
It's true that Automatic Load and Recompile let you use your favourite editor, but the integration is incomplete.

My favourite editor lets me run 'make', collects the error messages, lets me click on an error message and jump to the file and line where the error occurred so I can fix it. The missing OpenSCAD features are:
* better error reporting when something goes wrong
* better error messages with accurate location information
* external editor integration so that my favourite editor can process the error messages and let me jump to the error location.

I'm not sure how the third part would actually work. Anybody have experience in this area?

On 8 June 2016 at 12:19, John Tucker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Isn't this why F4 and  Automatic load and Recompile exist? Or have they
disappeared as options?

_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org




_______________________________________________
OpenSCAD mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openscad.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss_lists.openscad.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Abbreviations

runsun
In reply to this post by jon_bondy
jon_bondy wrote
I can type "cube([" faster than I can type "c" and then some bizarre key
combination.
I feel the same way. In a plugin to SynWrite I am working on, I use Cap-Cap (hit cap twice) to trigger a popup menu for what's needed, so it won't interfere the typing flow that much.  
$ Runsun Pan, PhD
$ libs:doctest, faces(git), offline doc(git), runscad.py(2,git), synwrite(2);   $ tips:Collection of tips on github
123
Loading...